TOM MERLO Phone 303-***-****
Golden, CO 80401 Fax 303-***-****
Results oriented sales executive with experience in strategic development and tactical implementation of organizational sales. This includes overseeing sales organizations and developing successful sales network and experience in new business development. This includes managing and developing sales personnel and calling on all classes of trade including distributors, retail food, chain drug, mass and specialty retail headquarters.
• Sixteen years experience in exceeding Sales and Management objectives.
• Experience in developing and implementation of internal and field sales training.
• Seven time award recipient for Sales leadership attainment.
Vice President U.S. Sales Marian Heath/Lawson - Falle 2005 - 2008
The majority of time as Regional Manager oversaw all sales and market development activities in16 Midwestern states. Responsible for sales, budgets, goals, recruiting and training for 28 sales representatives and a Business Development Manager. Successfully restructured and transitioned the region into the grocery store market through grocery wholesalers. Exceeded new business growth each year by 200%.
Vice President of Field Sales Lang Company LLC, Delafield, WI 2004 -2006
Responsibilities represent a $26,000,000 annual sales objective in selling and marketing paper and gift products to the specialty retail channel of distribution primarily in the western United States. Responsibilities also include supervision of a 15 person sales team, key account management, training development and corporate prospecting initiatives to new channels of distribution.
• For 2005 increased sales by 12% over prior year and halted a four year downtrend.
• Realigned and hired the sales staff in the western United States.
• Established a field sales training and development program.
• Coordinated the efforts of optimizing implementation between key accounts and internal operations.
Regional Manager, Ty, Incorporated. Westmont, IL 2002 - 2004
Duties include supervision and training of a $24,000,000 27 person sales team in seven western states. This also includes marketing and selling toy products to retail outlets.
• 2003 Ambassador of the year.
• 2003 Region of the year.
• Effectively realigned and established a revised training strategy.
Page Two of Three
Western Regional Manager, Enesco Corporation, Itasca, ILL 2000 – 2001
Oversees the daily activities of a 14 person sales group in western 11 states calling on regional chain, specialty retailers and distributor network.
• 2000 Regional Sales Manager of the Year.
• Circle of Excellence award recipient for 2000
• Successfully reorganized sales group and achieved 109% sales attainment for 2000.
National Sales Manager, NewStar Media, Los Angeles, CA 1999 - 2000
Responsible for all sales activities and introduction in the western United States of new audio product, including mass retailers, e-commerce and broker distribution.
• Established key accounts with Costco Wholesale, Sam’s Club and BJ’s Wholesale.
• Established broker network for mass retail accounts in 13 states.
• Established amazon.com as a new account. Recognized for having one of the top ten highest performing products in category, 1999.
• Coordinated efforts in setting up direct sales for institutional accounts.
Account Manager, AXXESS Technologies, Tempe, AZ 1998 – 1999
Responsible for sales, key account activities, new product introductions, and management of national and regional retailers and brokers.
• Key account management in major retailers such as Wal-Mart, Target, Fred Meyer and Meijer for Quick-Tag interactive kiosks.
• Initiated introduction of a new product and concept, Quick-Scribe into Wal-Mart, Target, Hallmark Cards and Fred Meyer.
• Met 1998 placement goal of 110% by placing 1,200 units in key retail accounts.
American Greetings Corporation 1985 - 1998
As detailed below, I held six positions of increasing responsibility in 13 years at this $2.4 billion consumer product company.
Western Regional Manager 1995 - 1998
Responsible for CreataCard sales, marketing, service, regional staff, budget and planning for the western United States and western Canada.
• Headquarters-level account calls for major chain accounts and prospects.
• 105% attainment of marketing plan through prospecting efforts.
• Met budgetary goal for 17-person service and sales group while exceeding sales responsibilities.
• Developed retail-marketing strategies, provided retailer with marketing support at headquarters and store level, liaison with marketing department.
Page Three of three
Western Area Sales Manager 1993 - 1995
Pioneered new product and concept CreataCard in mass and specialty retailers in the western United States.
• Oversaw regional sales staffing marketing strategy and sales staffing.
• Responsible for marketing, placement and execution of interactive kiosk units.
• Established and managed key accounts in all levels of retail throughout 13 western states at top retail firms, major mass retailers and grocery markets.
• Launched 8,500 units within 17 months, exceeding sales placement goals.
Business Development Manager 1992 - 1993
Directed the prospecting and development of new business for southern California and Nevada.
• Oversaw development of new business and training of sales staff.
• Duties included real estate/site evaluation and selection, oversight of developers, investors, lease negotiations, and training of sales staff.
• Met 123% of forecast goals and ranked #1 in total volume for fiscal 1993.
• First in total sales for fiscal 1993.
District Manager 1989 - 1992
Responsible for overseeing activities of 11 Sales Representatives, Manager trainee, Installation Manager and Merchandisers for the southern California.
• Successfully introduced new Carlton lines to retailers.
• Responsible for hiring and training sales staff.
• Continually increased sales and maintained market share by establishing rapport at headquarters level and through effective and innovative selling strategies.
• Consistently met sales objectives and budgets in maintaining and establishing key account contacts.
• Awarded as the leading district in sales attainment for two consecutive years.
Field Manager 1987 - 1989
Assisted the District Manager in all aspects of managerial functions, with emphasis in training the sales force.
Sales Representative 1985 - 1987
Performed sales duties in central and northern California.
Fresno Pacific University, Fresno, California, Bachelor of Arts degree in Management and Organizational Development.
Antelope Valley College, Lancaster, California, Management and Communication.
Fresno City College, Fresno, California, Associate in Arts, Liberal Arts