Experienced marketer with deep skill set: ability to draw from
traditional direct mail, as well as e-commerce, online marketing,
and Web 2.0 tools. Natural strengths in written communication,
media integration, and visual design.
Stenhouse Publishers, Portland, ME:
Leading Publisher of Professional Books for Teachers
Marketing Manager: responsible for copy, design, and production of catalogs,
direct mail, and print collateral;print advertising; and Web site management
* established small prospecting catalog,producing same AOS as large
flagship catalog with much lower cost per piece;
* converted DM program to environmentally-friendly FSC paper while staying within budget;
* lead redesign of DM for more consistent branding;
* developed specific catalog for higher education market;
* migrated static, HTML-based Web site to dynamic database-driven e-commerce site
with integrated Content Management System;
* implemented Google Analytics for Web site analysis;
* launched and managed e-books program with multiple distribution partners.
1997-June 2002: Macmillan Reference USA (Division of Gale/Cengage Learning), New York, NY:
One of the most respected names in library reference publishing
Senior Marketing Manager: marketing and P&L responsibility for selected imprints of multivolume
library reference encyclopedias. Received Gale Bravo Award for work on Web site transition. Responsibilities included:
* annual planning and budgeting;
* collaborating with Creative Services department on direct mail and sales collateral;
* managing content of imprint web sites;
* educating inside and outside sales force on product features and benefits.
1993-1997: New Grove Dictionaries of Music (Division of Oxford University Press), New York, NY:
The standard of music reference works
Sales/Marketing Manager: managed direct response and inside sales for subject-specific
reference titles including The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz, The New Grove Dictionary
of American Music, and RHS Dictionary of Gardening.
Successfully launched first non-Grove product: The Guinness Encyclopedia of Popular Music
and first company Web site. Responsibilities included:
* sales forecasting and budgeting;
* creating and managing direct mail;
* hiring and training inside sales force;
* managing sales territories.
1983-1993:Event production, fundraising, production assistance with nonprofit
performing arts and media organizations including: The Brooklyn Academy of Music,
Murray Street Enterprise (producer of NPR programs), and Sea Cliff Chamber Players.
1987, New York University, New York, NY: MA Music Composition
1982, Bard College, Annandale, NY: BA Music (McLeod Award in Jazz)
2006, Maine College of Art, Portland, ME: Completed coursework in Graphic Design
for Marketing, Karla Whitney
1993, Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY:CSCR Certificate in Computer Programming
Saco Bay Lacrosse, Saco, ME: Youth lacrosse organization serving boys
and girls in grades five through eight
2006-2007, Board of Directors: President
2005-2006, Board of Directors: Vice President