Steven E. Sacks, CPA, CGMA, ABC
Mahwah, NJ 07430
A broad-based business writer and editor experienced working with professional services firms, companies, and not-for-profits. My background includes writing and editing both long- and short-form copy for paper- based and online publications, manuscript and newsletter editing and writing, speechwriting, communication strategy development, documentation development standards, and designing, developing and maintaining corporate websites and marketing materials.
Skills and Attributes
• Adept at researching, collecting and evaluating
• Solid organizational, communication, and
project management skills
• Ability to work collaboratively with authors
• Capable of transforming complex topics into
• Innovative approach to developing topics
• Mentoring staff to leverage their abilities
• Deep knowledge of business trends
Solutions to Results LLC [Communications and Editorial] Mahwah, NJ Provide firms and companies with communication strategies; thought leadership; writing and editing articles for business development; work with publishers on periodicals; and collaborate with outside authors on technical and managerial topics.
Edit manuscripts; create SWOT analyses; craft speeches; develop new business proposals; and research papers for C-suite executives focusing on new service lines and industry niches. Executive Director 01/2005 – 02/2016
Moore Stephens North America [Accounting and consulting firm association] Saddle Brook, NJ Provided strategic planning and execution of all aspects of association expansion through research and communication, both internal and external, to prospective members; pitched stories and articles to print and on-line media; collaborated on marketing, business development and recruitment videos and collateral.
• Developed and implemented communication plans linking association goals with communication objectives, strategies, messages and vehicles.
• Worked with marketing directors on communication strategies to promote the firms’ services and developed a roadmap for building and publicizing new specialty services.
• Wrote press releases to promote association member news and accomplishments
• Implemented public relations initiatives that included speeches, white papers, press releases, member presentations and outreach programs to promote the association.
• Coordinated with thought leaders/specialists and professional publications and trade journals to raise the visibility of the association as part of a membership expansion effort.
• Wrote bylaws, operating charters for special interest groups, HR policies and social media protocols.
• Moderated conferences, including roundtables and panels, and wrote articles about program sessions.
• Researched and developed content for member-presented webcasts and webinars.
• Collaborated with the executive board on long-term domestic and international membership growth, through website content development, public relations, webinars and podcasts. Managing Editor 12/2004 -12/2014
the BusinessEdge Michigan
Responsible for managing the publication of an award-winning newsletter aimed at senior financial professionals in business and industry, government and academia. Included in this responsibility was selecting topics and identifying and soliciting authors for articles that ranged from organizational management to communication; from leadership to professional development. Steven E. Sacks, CPA, CGMA, ABC Page 2
Division Leader — Consulting Services 09/1990 – 02/2003 American Institute of Certified Public Accountants New York, NY
• Collaborated with outside subject matter experts to develop and edit a library of more than 30 practice and technical guides to assist CPAs in providing client services and managing their practices. Supplemented the information with training programs and conferences.
• Developed proposals and surveys that led to the creation of the Accredited in Business Valuation credential for CPAs. Over 3,000 CPAs hold this credential.
• Created and edited two award-winning newsletters, CPA Expert, for valuation and litigation support practitioners; and, CPA Consultant, for client services, practice management and business development.
• Collaborated with other standard-setting bodies in the audit, accounting, consulting and professional ethics areas to research, analyze and promulgate technical guidance for CPAs in traditional and non- traditional services.
• Pitched stories to various print media promoting CPA consulting services and spotlighting individual practitioners.
BBA: Pace University – Accounting; Minor – Communications Activities and Honors
Top 100 Most Influential Practitioners, CPA Magazine, 2006 Inductee, Accredited in Business Valuation Hall of Fame, 1999 APEX Award Winner for Publishing Excellence, 1994-2002 (Grand Award Winner 1994); 2007-2016 Print Newsletter Award for Firms Under $15 million, Association for Accounting Marketing, 2008 Five Diamond Award Winner, The BusinessEdge, 2005
Team Recipient of a public relations award for the Partners for Growth initiative with AT&T Capital Editorial Adviser, Journal of Accountancy
Editorial Adviser, CPA Practice Management Forum
Senior Adviser, Value Drivers, LLC, Developer of Leading With Courage Academy Book Author: The New Fundamentals: Practical Guidance for Today’s Accounting Firms (Published 2020) Websites and Profiles
Certified Public Accountant
Chartered Global Management Accountant
Accredited Business Communicator