Karen C. Richem
Objective: As an experienced training and project management professional, I aspire to utilize my communication, organization, and leadership skills as an Employment Transition Coordinator. My knowledge of Montana’s governmental agencies and employment preparation activities will be an asset to this position.
Department of Commerce, Helena, MT 2011-Present
Quality Schools Grant Program Specialist
• Administer Quality Schools Grant Program grants and contracts to ensure grantee compliance with program criteria and applicable state and federal regulations.
• Provide guidance on developing project budgets, coordinating funding with other agencies, implementing accounting procedures, and related issues.
• Communicate with field experts and relevant state agencies to discuss industry standards, programs, or technologies.
• Initiate and cultivate relationships in the K-12 educational community and related fields throughout Montana.
• Coordinate and perform grant application, evaluation, and award processes to ensure that funds are directed according to legislative intent and priorities.
• Assist with the preparation of excel tables, charts, and spreadsheets for use within the Department and Governor’s Office.
• Utilize effective leadership and management skills, as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Office of Public Instruction, Helena, MT 2001-2011
• Created effective training modules for various types of training and school environments, helping teachers utilize test results to impact instruction.
• Regular communication with various groups including, but not limited to, teachers, test coordinators, principals, superintendents, other education agencies, testing contractors, and county superintendents.
• Compiled data from multiple sources, verified the accuracy of data, determined the most effective ways to manage different types of data (e.g., spreadsheets, charts, etc.), and arranged data into effective presentation/report formats for further analysis and program development.
• Primary contact for the Montana Comprehensive Assessment System (MontCAS Presents) classes that are offered online through a joint agreement between OPI and MSU and OPI and UM.
• Participated in the Montana ACT Plus Writing as part of the College and Career Readiness System.
• Participated in the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium that is intended to help all high school students graduate and be college and career ready.
• Effectively communicated with school personnel from districts with low income, low performing, and/or American Indian students.
• Managed and updated the assessment program web pages to maintain the content, appearance, and functionality of the site.
• Planned and coordinated the annual assessment conference by reserving the hotel, contracting speakers, creating materials for conference packets, creating name tags, accepting speaker proposals for break-out sessions, planned meals provided at conference, etc.
Accreditation Data Manager
• Planned and prioritized work activities to establish and meet deadlines, while attending to accuracy of details while multitasking.
• Conducted quality control of data files through validation activities, and corrected data file information as inaccurate reporting and data entry errors arose.
• Prepared reports, summaries and requested documentation for the general public, school district personnel, legislature, OPI management staff and others.
• Extensive knowledge of rules, regulations, procedures and reporting requirements; and reviewed and interpreted Montana statute, regulations and policies relative to statewide accreditation, licensure, Montana School Law and Administrative Rules of Montana
• Demonstrated good judgment in making decisions, providing guidance and resolving issues.
• Communicated clearly verbally and in writing, providing clear directions and guidance, and translating technical information to audiences with varied technical backgrounds.
• Served as liaison to the Board of Public Education and Montana Association of School Superintendents presenting specialized information and reports as requested.
• Designed, developed, implemented, and provided training throughout the state for a database system.
• Highly effective teamwork skills, maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, program users, technical personnel, the public, and the Board of Public Education.
Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
University of Montana, Western - Dillon, MT
Professional Training and Certifications
Montana Educator License in Elementary Education
Basics of Management Training
Leadership Challenge Training
Red Cross First Aid/CPR Certified Trainer
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Effective organization and collaboration skills
• Ability to analyze, interpret, and apply policies
• Exceptional problem solving skills
• Knowledge of adult learning processes and evaluation methodologies
• Effective management and leadership skills
• Knowledge of data collection, interpretation, and reporting
• Knowledge of the H2H.jobs web-based application
• Microsoft Word
• Microsoft Excel
• Microsoft Access
• Microsoft Outlook
• Microsoft PowerPoint
• Adobe Connect
• Camtasia Software
• Multi-line Phone
2655 NW Bauer Woods Dr.
Portland, OR 97229
1521 Buffalo Road
Helena, MT 59602
674 Jeanne Road
Helena, MT 59602
422 Geddis Street
Helena, MT 59601