Information & Background Summary
Mr. Virgil L. Whitaker
***** ********* ***** ***., *******, Va. 22032
703-***-**** Email - *********@***.***
International Trade And Development - Currently active internationally in commodities and infrastructure development in Asia, Europe, and Africa. Active in the utilization of financial instruments and other assets for financing of infrastructure projects. Have developed an international network of contacts and business associates skilled in various aspects of international trade, engineering and project development, and finance.
Non - Profit Organization - Currently active as Director of Seminars for Great Dads, a non-profit organizational that provides motivational seminars to dads all around the USA and internationally.
Business Finance – Supported companies in capitalization for business expansion. Involved with creative financing procedures to help fund startup and young companies. Past involvement as a company principal with financing and operation of companies and in obtaining capital from Silicon Valley venture capital firms.
Business - Past principal in technology and commercial businesses in the 1980s and 1990s. Founder and principal of San Jose (Silicon Valley), California, telecommunications engineering / product companies (HIS Solutions, Whitfield Communications, VL Laboratories) serving at various times as Vice President of Operations, Engineering and Marketing. Former president of technology consulting product development company (Intrasystems) that delivered successful OEM products to telecommunication test companies. Former president of Businesses Unlimited, Inc., a business broker (Businesses Unlimited).
Marketing - Developed marketing approaches and plans. Conducted marketing studies and developed product descriptions and requirements based on customer needs. Interfaced and coordinated domestic and international companies in the definition of business opportunities and product development. Set up and coordinated OEM relationships with companies such as Bell Atlantic, Hewlett Packard, and TTC. Interfaced and supported products with international customers in Germany, Australia, Canada, Taiwan, and China.
Sales - Conducted sales efforts providing technology and commercial services. Recruited sales forces and set up sales representative and distribution organizations. Developed sales techniques and approaches to large telecommunication firms and end user’s.
Engineering and Technology –
• Conducted computer, hardware and software design. Design and development of telecommunication test components, instrumentation, transmission, and networking systems.
• Conducted fundamental engineering using field programmable gate arrays (FPGA) and electronic computer aided design (CAD) design tools as a principal of start up companies in San Jose (Silicon Valley), California.
• Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in Maryland, USA since 1983.
• Up to date usage of the net, and Microsoft Office (Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
Department of Defense (DOD) Program / Project Engineering Management -
• From 1970 to 1983 performed program management and project engineering with secret and top secret clearances in the US Navy Ship Systems Command (NAVSHIPS), the Navy Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA), the Joint Cruise Missile Project Office (JCMPO) and the engineering directorate of the US General Accounting Office (GAO).
• With the Navy department held wide ranging responsibility and management control for the engineering, development, planning, and deployment of several successful significant naval systems, including the sonar based Bottom Topography Survey System (BOTOSS) for mapping critical areas in the ocean, the CCS MK 1 / MK 117 Submarine ASW Combat Control System (the submarine combat nerve center), and TOMAHAWK Cruise Missile Submarine Integration. Direct liaison and working relationship with a number of US Admirals (including the Chief Naval Engineer in NAVSEA and the Director of the Joint Cruise Missile Office) and numerous US Navy Captains. Directed Navy laboratories technical organizations and defense contractors such as Raytheon, Hughes Aircraft, General Dynamics, Sperry, Singer Librascope, General Electric and IBM
• At the GAO, responsible for the analaysis of systems such as FAA airplanes guidance, High Energy Lasers (HEL), and LHA Navy support ships.
University Instructor - Instructor of Electrical Engineering and Technology (physics, electronics, calculus, Laplace transforms, statics/dynamics, etc) at Bradley University, Peoria, Ill, from 1968 to 1970 as the then youngest full time instructor.
Early Jobs / Experience - High school math teacher (one semester), Illinois State Highway Commission (engineering trainee), Caterpillar Tractor Co.(engineering trainee - three summers), US Post Office, shoe salesman, night watchman, restaurants, paper boy.
Personal - Married, one son. Height = 6’3”, Weight = 205 lbs, excellent physical shape. Ongoing program of running, hiking, racquetball and weightlifting
• 1970 - Present: Numerous Post Masters Marketing, Engineering, Management, and Business Courses/Seminars
• 1968-1970: MSEE, Bradley University, Peoria, Ill., Phi Kappa Phi
• 1963-1967: BSEE with Honor, Bradley University, Peoria, Ill. Academic Scholarship - Illinois State Scholarship Commission. Tau Beta Pi, Sigma Tau, President of Eta Kappa Nu chapter, IEEE
• 1960-1963: Manual High School, Peoria, Ill., National Honor Society, Football (Honorable Mention All State), Physics and Math honors