ANTHONY M. GAROFALO
Trenton, New Jersey 08620-1007
Position Desired: Company Employee. Not for consulting, short-term or right to hire.
• Install Enterprise SQL Server database systems in shared and dedicated environments for use with multiple types of applications.
• Administer multiple SQL Servers and named instances in an enterprise environment.
• Install and administer Active/Passive clusters using SAN technology.
• Design, install and implement databases in large scale environments.
• Routine maintenance; backups, restores, job creation, alerts, re-indexing, integrity checking, etc., with SQL Server 2000 and 2005.
• Performance Tuning; identifying and remediation of performance bottlenecks.
• Capacity planning and proactively scan systems for levels using jobs & VBscript.
• Ability to write T-SQL (stored procedures, triggers, functions).
• Ability to document and implement Server Disaster recovery models.
• Knowledgeable regarding support for SSIS and DTS packages.
• Roll out Report, Analysis and Integration Services for the enterprise.
• Roll out and support high availability solutions using SQL Server 2000/2005.
• Enforce database and server level security.
• Knowledgeable of TCP/IP concepts.
• Knowledgeable of Microsoft programming and concepts using Visual Basic.NET.
• Automate DBA management reports for large numbers of systems using VBscript.
• Familiar with the use of virtual servers using VMware instances.
• Familiar with the use of multiple system environments (Development, Test and Production).
• Familiar with the use and implementation of 32 and 64 bit SQL Server 2005.
• Work remotely using high speed Internet connection to corporate VPN to complete all DBA functions.
• Solid understanding of Windows environment and RAID levels.
• Use of Terminal Server and Citrix Server for LAN access as well as remote access to VPN for connections to corporate resources.
01/06 – Present Bristol - Myers Squibb
100 Nassau Park Blvd., Princeton, NJ 08540
SQL Server DBA (Database Engineering)
• Support over 400 databases on shared, virtual and dedicated systems.
• Remediate database and server related problems collaborating with Web Engineering, Software Engineering, Platform Engineering, Database Engineering, developers, vendors and clients.
• Use Remedy to catalog all requests and responses in accordance with service level agreements (SLA).
• Participate in new projects to provide appropriate input for determining the proper use of environments (shared, virtual or dedicated physical server), security considerations, recovery model, server requirements, and cost estimates. Provide vendors, developers and business clients the best choices available to support new applications in accordance with company standards and best practices.
• Provide support to other DBAs when appropriate to insure overall team success.
• Install and configure SQL Server in shared, virtual and dedicated database environments.
• Develop and follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
• Upgrade SQL Server versions, promoting from Development to Test and finally to the Production environment.
• Migrate database instances between systems and versions of SQL Server including 64 bit SQL Server 2005 on 64 bit Windows Server 2003, on both physical and virtual systems.
• Write VBscripts for jobs to gather information from all of the SQL Servers in the enterprise, catalog results and distribute information to appropriate designates regarding problems requiring DBA attention.
• Perform database software installations, configuration and upgrades.
• Enforce company database Standards and Procedures in daily practices.
• Provide technical support in application development and upgrade processes.
• Participate in disaster recovery, policy, procedures, and drills.
07/04 – 12/05 SELF-EMPLOYED - Computer System Development and Support as a private consultant.
Completed several database designs, setup maintenance plans and support projects for
Clients, using Windows Server 2003 with SQL Server 2000 database systems.
01/00 – 06/04 First Health Services Corporation
4300 Cox Road, Glen Allen VA 23060 (assigned to the Princeton, NJ facility)
SQL Server DBA
• Administer Microsoft SQL Server database systems in OLTP and OLAP environment. Perform backup and disaster recover preparedness, system and data security policies, write SQL code, job scheduling, capacity planning and Performance Tuning.
• Manage the SQL Server database systems in a High Availability environment by installing SQL Server 2000 in an Active/Passive Clustered configuration.
• Develop implementation plans and control change management as enhancements became effective in the system lifecycle.
• Manage changes in the lifecycle of a pharmaceutical data entry, retrieval and
data reporting application. Work closely with the programming consultants ensuring that the methods and standards were kept consistent with standards and best practices.
• Advise/inform the business unit (clients) about the use of new features developed for the applications they use.
• Release new versions of applications when the testing and debugging has been completed.
• Create the Windows domain design. Utilize Wins, DHCP, DNS, print, fax and application servers. Construct procedures for tape backups, offsite tape archiving and disaster recovery.
• Install and manage all utilities required by the applications including Microsoft Internet Information Server for FTP, SQL Server for Bulk Insert and DTS and Oracle database servers. Maintain data communications lines between facilities.
09/98 – 01/00 COMPUTER LEARNING CENTER
50 Craigwood Road, South Plainfield, NJ 07080
9/98–11/98 part-time Evening Instructor. 11/98 forward, full-time day Instructor.
• Teach Windows NT Operating System and elective courses from Official Microsoft
• Use extended laboratories, explanations and additional training materials for students
seeking networking careers and having MCSE certification goals.
8/97 – 11/98 PRUDENTIAL INSURANCE COMPANY
1 Prudential Drive, Cranbury NJ 08512
LAN Analyst: Support an Enterprise of NT servers, domain controllers, application
servers, print servers, network printing, tape backup systems, in a client/server and
mainframe environment. Perform network administration in a multiple master domain
including data and user migrations between domains. Monitor and tune systems
performance. Install and maintain SQL Server database systems. Support the desktop group
with client/Server related issues. Manage data security, accessibility, system capacities,
system and user data backup and restoration, anti-virus protection and other activities.
2/95 – 8/97 SAKS FIFTH AVENUE, Lawrenceville Data Center
2303 Brunswick Pike, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648 Ph. 609-***-****
PC Analyst: NT system installation, administration and support. Systems include
application servers, print servers, DHCP servers, WINS servers and DNS servers in a
diverse environment including mainframe, HP-UX, Novell and NT. Install and support
client/server applications for user community, develop PC and Lap-Top application
suites for standard PC configurations. Develop and distribute special configurations
for remote locations and dedicated processing requirements. Provide Tier-3 support
for the helpdesk. Upgrade systems and support migrations from Windows 3.x to
Windows 95’, Windows NT Workstation and Windows NT Server.
2/92 - 1/95 SELF-EMPLOYED - Real Estate Broker/Salesperson
10/84 -2/92 SELF-EMPLOYED - Restaurateur
2/79 - 10/84 HEWLETT-PACKARD Manhattan Avenue, Fullerton, Ca.
Customer Service Engineer: Installation and maintenance of pre HP-UX operating system
for HP 3000 business computer systems. Installation and updates to hardware and OS and
products function and ongoing support. System level support for hardware and operating
issues including problem diagnosis and resolution. Maintain continual customer relations
and a high level of customer confidence.
Education MCDBA Microsoft Certified Database Administrator
MCSE Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
MCT Microsoft Certified Trainer
Electronics Technology Graduate - RCA Institutes, NY, NY
HP 3000 computer systems training - Hewlett-Packard
Microsoft Courses - Dow Jones Training Center, Princeton, NJ & Self Training
Military Service USAF Reserves, Honorably Discharged.