SAMANTHA PAQUIN, Editor
Ottawa: (c) 1-613-***-**** • www.ExpressiveEditing.ca • firstname.lastname@example.org References available upon request. 1
SUMMARY OF STRENGTHS
• Objective: To secure a position in the copy editing/proofreading field.
• Ambition: Have a huge passion for Editing to ensure the accuracy and clarity of the English language.
• Experience: Strong & diverse 22-year career in print & web publishing in the U.S. & Canada.
• Skills: Editing & proofreading combines with speed, efficiency & creativity to polish writers’ words. Have expertise in American, Canadian and UK/British English.
• Style: Use Canadian Press and/or Associated Press Style books.
• Current: Office Coordinator for Toscano/Walker Team (RE/MAX). / Plus: Communications Officer for Xahive Inc. Freelance Experience (Present to 2007)
Principal Editor & Proofreader,
Expressive Editing, Ottawa, ON
Principal Graphic Designer/Owner
Expressive Designs, Ottawa, ON
XAHIVE Inc., Cybersecurity company, Ottawa, ON
Communications Officer, July 2016 to Present
• Edit various texts for cybersecurity company.
• Edited entire website.
• Edited Cybersecurity Manual for Financial Institutions. eScribers (U.S transcription company), May 2017 to Present
• Editing/proofreading various court transcripts.
Ottawa Sport & Social Club, March 2017 to April 2017
• Edited, developed & designed print and online campaign for “Sprummer” registration. Ayn MacDonald, Royal LePage Team Realty, February 2017 to Present
• Editing feature sheets and letters to clients.
Ottawa Business Journal, June 2016 to December 2016
• Edited articles for the OBJ, using Google Docs.
Greg O’Donnell, Plant Your Flag Commercial Real Estate Services, 2014 to Present
• Provide ongoing web and print editing & proofreading services.
• Provide desktop publishing services for eBooks: format eBooks in Excel, edit & proofread all content.
• Provided transcription/transcribing/typing services, using MS Word, ExpressScribe and InqScribe.
• Provide administrative duties, which includes online research and sending emails, using MS Office. ZenContent April 2016 to March 2017
• Edited & revised content within a digital platform. Toscano/Walker Team RE/MAX, June 2016 to October 2016 & May 2017
• Edited & wrote texts for online & print, and created newsletter, in MS Word
• Redesigned presentation in InDesign.
• Updated website HTML coding.
• Edited second presentation and updated first presentation in InDesign. SAMANTHA PAQUIN, Editor
Ottawa: (c) 1-613-***-**** • www.ExpressiveEditing.ca • email@example.com References available upon request. 2
*Confidential* NY author, November 2016 to February 2017
• Edited writer’s non-fiction manuscript.
The Edge Taekwon-Do Academy, August 2016 to September 2016
• Edited instructor manual in MS Word, as well as email templates on GoDaddy email platform. SketchDeck, February 2016 to December 2016
• Edit clients’ graphics and texts to ensure accuracy and clarity, using InDesign, Illustrator, PowerPoint and Keynote.
*Confidential* author, September 2015 to December 2015
• Edited Toronto writer’s translated (from French) fiction manuscript, in MS Word. SmartLexic.com, January 2015 to December 2015
• Edited various texts for clients with dyslexia.
Unambiguous.ca, May 2014 to December 2015
• Edited various texts, for clients, as they came in.
*Confidential* author, April to May 2014, August to September 2015
• Edited two of local writer’s fiction manuscripts. Dr. Orawee Chinthakanan et al., August 2015
• Edited a medical and scientific report written by four doctors: Laparoscopic Paravaginal Defect Repair: Surgical Technique and a Literature Review.
Viridis Consultants, March 2012 to April 2012, May 2015 to June 2015
• Edited two different scientific and technical reports on Australian health facilities’ water quality.
*Confidential* author, October 2014 to January 2015: Edited local writer’s script. Ottawa Rape Crisis Centre, October 2014, January 2015
• Edited “Violence Framed as Honour” website content; and, edited same report for ORCC’s website.
*Confidential* author, August 2013 to May 2014: Edited local writer’s self-help book for adolescents. Automotive Quality Solutions/Jon Molesky (President) April 2012 to May 2013, March 2014 to January 2015
• Edited & proofread U.S. automotive-industry recruiter’s correspondence, web articles, newsletters, etc.
*Confidential* (doctor), August 2013
• Edited 10-page medical and scientific study on corneal donor tissue for surgery, for the University of Ottawa Eye Institute’s Department of Ophthalmology.
Sherpa Press, December 2012 to January 2015
• Edited 7 fiction manuscripts in MS Word.
• Never in Your Wildest Dreams, Lost and ProFound (have editing credit on ISBN page), The Right One, So, What’s Your Play?, Ethics of a Thief (and its re-release), and The Way Out Roger Carrier (writer), March 2013 to September 2013: Proofread & Edited fiction manuscript: Finding Sagrado. SAMANTHA PAQUIN, Editor
Ottawa: (c) 1-613-***-**** • www.ExpressiveEditing.ca • firstname.lastname@example.org References available upon request. 3
Lyubomyr Ostapiv (Ukrainian writer), CLIENT, July to Aug. 2013
• Edited home-finance manuscript: Home Finances for Couples. PontLab, June to July 2013: Edited short articles on very short notice. The Marketing Center, February 2013 to June 2013
• Edited entire contents of two websites for legal consultants before they went live.
*Confidential* author, February 2013 to June 2013: Edited 233-page fiction manuscript in MS Word. Cerami Worldwide, September 2012 to September 2015
• Provided proofreading & editing services for projects, such as manuscripts, white papers and medical-product advertising & product-packaging copy, using Adobe Acrobat (PDF). Legal Outreach Inc., January 2013 to May 2013
• Designed & edited marketing collateral for four curricula.
*Confidential* writer, January 2013 to May 2013
• Edited fiction manuscript in MS Word.
Nicholas Bergman (writer), December 2012 to February 2013
• Edited 240-page fiction manuscript.
iPhoneincanada.ca, January to June 2013
• Edited technology news articles for website, with fast turnaround. Block Design, January 2013
• Edited text of designer’s entire website (blockdesign.ca) using SquareSpace’s content management system (CMS). Project CAP Agency Digital Marketing, November 2012 to January 2013
• Edited insurance marketing articles, following AP style. Jenetiqa, October 2012 to February 2013
• Edited & redesigned skin-care company’s MS Word media kit in Adobe InDesign. Golden Child Publishing, September 2012 to January 2013: Edited and proofread articles for holistic health blog. WebLift SRL, September 2012 to November 2012
• Reviewed/edited/proofread tech posts before publishing online.
• Posted articles with client’s CMS on WordPress website.
• Selected photo to appear with each article.
• Checked articles’ search engine optimization (SEO) settings. Air Conditioned, April to May 2012: Edited 500-2,000-word articles with a one-to-two-day turnaround. Latté Marketing, April to June 2012: Proofread/edited 86-page Personal Finance eBook. Ottawa Police Service, February to March 2012
• Edited & formatted 22-page 2011 Annual Report for the Ottawa Police Service. Red Mobile Consultants, December 2011
• Substantially edited/formatted 200-page Canadian Government study for Industry Canada, about radio spectrum waves.
• Report included charts, tables & appendices.
SAMANTHA PAQUIN, Editor
Ottawa: (c) 1-613-***-**** • www.ExpressiveEditing.ca • email@example.com References available upon request. 4
VDM, November 2011 to January 2012
• Data Entry Specialist: Updated database; Uploaded files to FTP site; Created simple reports; Used basic HTML. Korea Yellow Pages, October 2011
• Data Entry: Entered information into MS Excel form from many websites. Canadian Pharmacists Association, October 2011
• Edited & formatted a 20-page internal document, with charts and tables. Demand Media Studios, August 2010 to May 2011
• Independently edited various types of articles, under daily deadlines, in an electronic environment.
• Edited for grammar, punctuation, spelling, facts, style, plus checked writers’ references and resources. Rogers Media, May 2008 to November 2010 (as graphic designer)
• Edited & designed informative marketing collateral materials.
• Created & proofread promotional emails, as well as designed & edited media kits. Giant Carpet & Flooring, November 2009 to February 2010 (as graphic designer)
• Edited & designed retailer’s print advertisements, published in several area newspapers. Ottawa’s Best SuperSaver, August to November 2009 (as graphic designer)
• Edited & designed clients’ ads.
Perkins Restaurant & Bakery, June 2009 & November 2009 (as graphic designer)
• Edited & designed the restaurant chain’s table tent card for Fruit Topping promotion.
• Edited & designed a second table tent card for a promotion for All-You-Can-Eat meals. Canadian Automobile Association (CAA), October 2006 to December 2009 (as graphic designer)
• Edited & designed print advertising campaign for four area newspapers.
• Designed OC Transpo bus wrap (left side, right side and back), which traversed Ottawa streets for more than two years. 240 Sparks, May 2009 to June 2009
• Edited & designed print ad campaign for Metro Ottawa newspaper. Sparks Street Mall, February 2009 to June 2009
• Designed drafts of outdoor lamppost banners. (I don’t think campaign ever got off the ground.) Prime Choice Auto Parts, May 2009
• Edited & designed advertising flyer (circulation 1,000). Cash For Gold Canada, March 2009
• Created official company logo, using Photoshop and InDesign. Realtor Bernice Bartlett, July to Aug. 2007
• Edited and redesigned website for re-launch.
Relevant Editing/Proofreading Skills
• Excellent knowledge of revision and editing.
• Have understanding of voice, style and brand guidelines.
• Able to edit in electronic environment, using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer or Apple Safari.
• Experience in planning/writing content (promotion) and digital strategy.
• Differentiate between writing for traditional publications and the web.
• Typing Speed: 60+ words per minute.
• Knowledgeable in standard, handwritten editing marks.
• Have an expert understanding of Microsoft Word’s Track Changes feature. SAMANTHA PAQUIN, Editor
Ottawa: (c) 1-613-***-**** • www.ExpressiveEditing.ca • firstname.lastname@example.org References available upon request. 5
Professional Experience (2018 to 1993)
Toscano/Walker Team (RE/MAX), Real Estate office, Orleans, ON Office Coordinator, August 2017 to Present
• Load new listings onto the MLX (MLS) system, as well the company website, Facebook and Kijiji.
• Coordinate the timing of photographs taken, installation of signs and lockbox, as well as when feature sheets are dropped off.
• Handle incoming and outgoing phone calls and emails, as well as walk-in clients.
• Edit and proofread listings and any other texts.
• Develop and design any real estate collateral and materials, as well as coordinate with printer. Metro Ottawa, Newspaper, Ottawa, ON
Graphics & Production Manager, August 2005 to November 2008
• Editing enhanced every single ad’s overall impact, as well as clarified its meaning.
• Compiled & edited listing page(s); also designed entire special sections, complete with ads and editorial.
• Edited and created marketing materials, such as sell sheets, media kits, promo ads & newspaper-box slash cards.
• Designed & edited ads, both on speculation or those that were booked, from clients’ materials/ideas.
• Designed innovative ads in Adobe CS, CS2 or QuarkXPress under daily deadlines.
• Managed & organized entire Graphics & Production Department myself; organized newspaper archives. Cuative & Company Publishing, Magazine Publisher, Ottawa, ON Art Director/Graphic Designer, Part-time, June 2005 to September 2005
• Assisted in creation, editing & production of The Socialite, a new publication for this publisher. Nepean This Week, Newspaper, Ottawa, ON
Creative Ad Builder, Part-time, June 2005 to November 2005
• Designed/modified ads in QuarkXPress, Photoshop or Illustrator, then edited each & every ad for clarity. Metro Toronto, Newspaper, Toronto, ON
Copy Editor/Design Editor/Features Editor of Entertainment/Lifestyle section, February 2002 to June 2005
• Edited sports, features, news and business pages for CP style, errors and libel.
• Edited Your Money and Moving Up and other monthly special sections/features.
• Contributed to design & editing of Fashion, Mind & Body and Home Fashion sections.
• Assisted in posting articles to Metro’s CMS for website, which included ensuring each stories’ accuracy and clarity. InvestmentNews, Business Newspaper, New York, NY
Copy Editor/Page Designer, November 2000 to January 2002
• Edited most of newspaper’s copy for style, consistency, spelling, grammar, punctuation and libel.
• Responsible for Markets pages, gathered fund information from Lipper Inc., then formatted to InvestmentNews style. Orlando Sentinel, Newspaper, Orlando, FL
Layout Editor/Copy Editor, August 1997 to November 2000
• Edited Sports, News, Features & Sports for grammar, punctuation, spelling, style, consistency and libel, under daily deadlines, for all five newspaper editions.
• Checked for section accuracy while press was rolling and made corrections and/or substitutions.
• Designed and laid out several pages on CCI, as well as assisted other team members, all while under daily deadlines, again. Paramount Pictures Corporation, Production Distribution office, New York, NY Exhibitor Services Assistant, June 1993 to August 1993
• Performed general office duties: answered phones, sent faxes, filed, typed memoranda, took meeting notes, etc.
• Worked with Microsoft Office Suite.
• Communicated with local theatre chains (AMC, United Artists, Loews and General Cinema) to ensure receipt of materials. SAMANTHA PAQUIN, Editor
Ottawa: (c) 1-613-***-**** • www.ExpressiveEditing.ca • email@example.com References available upon request. 6
Currently use iMac G5, OS 10.11.5, 2.66 GHz Intel Core Duo with 8 GB RAM. Operating Systems: Mac OS X, MS Windows, Apple iPhone 6, iOS 10.2. Hardware: Apple iMacs G3/G4/G5, iBook G4 and PCs.
Software: Mac OS El Capitan, Adobe InDesign CS6, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe Illustrator CS6, QuarkXPress, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Adobe Distiller Pro, MS Office 2008/2011, Mozilla Firefox, Google Search, Google Chrome/Docs/Sites/Gmail/Drive, Apple Safari, IE, WordPress, SquareSpace, Weebly, Wix, DropBox, Skype, TeamViewer. Education
• University at Albany, Albany, NY, USA; Bachelor of Arts degree. English major, French minor. Graduated May 1994.
• Hillcrest High School, Jamaica (Queens), NY, USA. High School Diploma. Liberal Arts. Graduated June 1990.
English: Native Language.
French: Intermediate Reading/Writing/Listening/Conversational skills. Associations
International Association of Professional Writers and Editors Online Profile Links
Expressive Editing: http://www.expressiveediting.ca (All links can be found on this site) Expressive Designs: http://www.expressivedesigns.ca/index.html (Graphic Design site) Expressive Editing on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2SDTaWaKq0 (Editing portfolio) Expressive Designs on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpNvjY4FwoU (Graphic Design portfolio) LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/samanthapaquin Indeed: http://www.indeed.com/r/112a20ced6b3d2b3?sp=0 Twitter: https://twitter.com/SamanthaPaquin
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/expressiveediting.ca EditFast: http://editfast.com/english/editors/Samantha-41183.htm Freelanced: http://www.freelanced.com/samanthapaquin UpWork: https://www.upwork.com/users/~01b5478ef3f2be6b40 Recent Editing Projects (Portfolio)
Website: Block Design - http://blockdesign.ca/
Website: Plant Your Flag Commercial Real Estate Services - http://www.plantyourflagnow.com Technical editing for Industry Canada: Study of Future Demand for Radio Spectrum in Canada 2011-2015 - http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf10253.html Fiction Novel: Lost and ProFound - http://amzn.to/1cCklDq (official editing credit) Self-Help Book: Never In Your Wildest Dreams - http://amzn.to/15Xx1iX Short Story: The Right One - http://amzn.to/13qKmgw Report: Ottawa Police Service Annual Report –
https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/lbrr/archives/cnmcs-plcng/cn30218-2011-eng.pdf Scientific/Medical: Laparoscopic Paravaginal Defect Repair: Surgical Technique and a Literature Review - http://miklosandmoore.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Paravaginal-repair-paper.pdf