Joan E. Scordamaglia
*** ****** ****** ∙ Norwalk, CT 06851 ∙ (C) (203) 247 - 4599
Financial Director with a proven track record in driving efficiency and productivity through the evaluation of financial management and process improvements. A dynamic leader with vision, organizational skills, management experience and a record of accomplishments built on the ability to create relationships, produce results and bottom line growth.
IT Financial Management • IT Finance Project Management • Audit Management • Variance Analysis • Strategic Planning • Accounting Management • Process Improvements • IT Expense Analysis • Forecasting • General Ledger Systems • Statutory Statement Management • Employee Management • IT Software Capitalization • Sarbanes-Oxley Documentation • Financial Framework Initiatives • IT Accrual Process • IT Budget • IT Procurement • Data Reconciliations
ROBERT HALF MANAGEMENT RESOURCES, WILTON RE, CONSULTANT, August 2007 to January 2008
• Assisted in the data reconciliation of the implementation of the new FISER PRO General Ledger to the old General Ledger, Fiser PTE.
• Assisted in the data reconciliation of the Administrated Systems to the DataMart, data repository for financial data.
• Documented the procedures to input manual adjustments into the DataMart.
• Reviewed the flow of the financial data in the DataMart to ensure the accurate flow into various financial statements.
• Financial data reconciliation of an upgrade in the DataMart process.
METROPOLITAN LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY, DIRECTOR, 1999 to 2007
Technology and Operations (2006 – 2007)
• Managed and re-engineered MetLife’s IT Software Capitalization Process and communicate financial implications to the IT Project Office Management (PMO).
• Responsible for SOX and Balance Sheet account attestation and documentation.
• Responsible for re-engineering processes within the ESS Finance Department (IT Finance).
• Project lead on MetLife’s IT Consultant initiative.
• Provided support to senior management in preparation and maintenance of IT strategic plans, IT analysis and presentation of IT financial performance results.
• Preparation and completion of Technology’s annual budget and monthly reporting of actual results.
International (2005 – 2006), Corporate Systems (2002 – 2003) Information Technology Application Development
• Established Service Level Agreement process for International Information Technology (IT).
• Implemented processes for budgeting, forecasting and management reporting for IT PMO.
• IT Project tracking and reporting related to profitability, estimate vs actual performance and resource planning/utilization related to the organization’s project capacity.
• Responsible for review and approval of monthly IT accruals to ensure in compliance with financial policy.
• Assisted in the IT Procurement process.
• Presented to senior management review of IT expenses.
• Advisor on IT expense reduction initiatives.
• Advisor to IT PMO on financial related issues
Technology and Operations (2003 – 2004)
• Coordinator of the Financial Framework Initiatives in the Service Finance Department to optimize controls in PeopleSoft, reduce manual journal entries, implement better metrics and achieve overall General Ledger efficiencies.
• Re-engineered policy for accrual accounting.
• Responsible for testing SOX as it relates to software capitalization.
• Advisor to Lines of Business on the procedures and policies for software capitalization and amortization budgets, forecasts and actual.
• Implemented financial reporting on capitalization by expense category, project and initiative
• Responsible for reorganization of the IT Finance Group to optimize the staff in the various roles.
Client Services (1999 – 2002)
• Implemented the policy and accounting for MetLife software capitalization.
• Implemented the quarterly software capitalized assets impairment review and the financial impact on the balance sheet and income statement.
• Implemented the mechanization of amortization of capitalized software in the PeopleSoft Asset Management System.
• Responsible for coordinating the capitalized software and amortization budgets.
• Responsible for the accounting and expenses related to Class Action suits against MetLife.
• Responsible for the reporting of expenses related to eBusiness and MetLife expenses associated with the Global Settlement Action Suit.
EQUITABLE LIFE ASSURANCE SOCIETY OF THE U.S., CONSULTANT, 1998 to 1999
• Assisted in the preparation of the Annual Statement Schedule D and the other related statutory investment schedules.
• Assisted in the strategic business unit project and other assignments, which were normally completed and/or reviewed by the Vice President & Deputy Controller.
• Assisted in the annuity account function, which included all preparation of FAS97 accounting entries.
AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL GROUP, 1980 to 1997
AIG Global Investment Corporation (1993-1997), Senior Portfolio Analyst
• Responsible for implementing procedures providing and ensuring accuracy of the Foreign General Insurance Operations investment portfolio information to various AIG departments. Reported to the Vice President of Investments.
AIU (AIG’s Foreign General Insurance Unit) (1984-1993), Assistant Controller
• Responsible for consolidating the foreign reporting entities financial statements for GAAP and statutory reporting.
• Managed staff of thirty professionals.
• Reported to Vice President and Assistant Vice President of AIU.
Management Information Department, AIU (1982-1984), Accounting Manager
• Responsible for implementing monthly management information reports to senior management.
• AIU (1980-1982), Supervisor
• Responsible for supervising staff in the reinsurance and the accounts receivable departments.
Boston College (Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts), BS – Accounting & Finance