L. DAVID RISH
• Negotiating distribution agreements and transportation agreements; Intellectual property support for merger and acquisition and finance transactional agreements. Strong skills in all areas of Intellectual Property matters, including patent, trademark, trade secret and copyright. Research and advise client regarding Laws, rulings, and regulations which relate to company business, with particular emphasis on trademark and false advertising claims.
• Participate in the creation and implementation of corporate policy. Handle litigation/dispute, regulatory matters, and employment issues relating to Intellectual property law. Work with outside counsel on all matters of legal issues; keep abreast of legal developments in corporate, antitrust, patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret laws in multiple jurisdictions.
• Experienced Patent Attorney having a Biomedical Engineering degree with strong worldwide intellectual property law experience, including skill sets in mechanical, inorganic chemical, electronic and computer controlled systems patent preparation and US, PCT, and major country foreign prosecution.
• Sound legal advice and counsel to internal clients on strategies for making business decisions impacted by Intellectual Property. Strong experience in client counseling for transactional agreements, including patent, trade secret and trademark licensing and enforcement. Director of a large and busy patent and trademark portfolio (over 500 US and foreign patent families).
• Responsible for developing and implementing an IP strategy for the company division; experience with in-house support and oversight of patent and trademark litigation and oppositions. Fostering relationships and working effectively with diverse business team members to identify major and licensable Intellectual Property. Chair of the division Invention Disclosure Committee and supervisor of prosecution, searching and preparing opinions. Served as legal liaison for R & D department activities, including participation on product development teams.
• Preparing and negotiating intellectual property and Military IRAD and civilian research-oriented agreements. Support for merger, acquisition and finance transactional agreements. Due diligence and leading role in company sale and acquisition of Intellectual Property through IP transactions.
• Assisted in the creation and implementation of corporate policy as such policy relates to patents and trademarks. Enforcing company policy to create, maintenance and position strategically the company’s patent and trademark portfolios. Worked at two positions in the pharmaceutical and medical device industry.
• Manage and work with outside counsel as required to advance the company Intellectual Property strategy on both patent prosecution and IP transactional matters. Keep abreast of legal developments in corporate, antitrust, patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret laws in multiple jurisdictions.
• Lead role authoring Company legal strategy for copyrights, advertising and trademark internet and data rights policy. Strong patent drafting and prosecution skills. Worked with IEEE 802.11 wireless standards and RFID. Extensive software licensing experience.
• Responsible for major software, trade secret, copyright, and patent consulting, contracting and licensing. Considerable major IP litigation support role. Familiar with domain name and cyber-advertising issues.
Professional Experience --
ANGIOTECH PHARMACEUTICALS, INC. North Bend, WA
Patent Attorney 2006 - present
• Preparation and Prosecution of patent applications in the electronic and computer arts. Patent counseling including freedom to operate and infringement studies. Responsible for invention disclosures in the Mechanical and electronic fields. Review Patent and Trademark License proposals. Responsible for managing over 100 trademark families worldwide.
INTERMEC TECHNOLOGIES CORPORATION (Litton Subsidiary) Everett, WA
Division Counsel, Intellectual Property 1993 – 2005
• Lead Patent counsel for Automatic Data Collection and Supply Chain wireless technology products. Chair of Invention Disclosure Review Committee. Leader for aggressive patent filing strategy, helping to grow the Company patent portfolio grew from 20 patents to in excess of 500 US patents, with associated foreign counterparts in a number of cases. Managed over ½ dozen outside patent prosecution attorneys.
• Manager of patent portfolio which includes sophisticated software and computer hardware systems, optical processing, electronic, and mechanical patent applications. Leader managing the Prosecution of the trademark applications; supervisor of copyright registration activity.
• Patent strategy for IT technology linking data collection components, such as wireless IR and RF. This includes software and systems for just-in-time inventory and warehousing applications. Helped to develop the Corporate IP Strategy for Radio Frequency Identification tags and interrogators (RFID).
LITTON SYSTEMS, Inc. - GUIDANCE AND CONTROL DIVISION Woodland Hills, CA
Intellectual Property Counsel 1988 - 1993
• Responsible for direct patent prosecution of 1/3 of the patent applications filed in the USA for the division; Management of prosecution of applications by outside counsel; Successful licensing of both Patent and Trademark IP assets. Review of Terms and Conditions for Government contracts and sub-contracts; Drafting and Construing Licenses, both foreign and domestic, including considerations of Export Control Laws governing Technical Assistance Agreements (TAA) and Technical and Manufacturing License Agreements (TALA) under the provisions of the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITARs). Responsible for direct patent prosecution of 1/3 of the patent applications filed. The subject matter of patent applications supervised and prepared included: Ring laser gyroscope instruments and systems, including optical and electronic components; Optical Thin Film coating apparatus and systems; Computer hardware and related digital systems; software implementation of digital systems. Applications under secrecy order.
POMS, SMITH, LANDE & ROSE Los Angeles, CA
Senior Associate 1986 - 1988
• Patent prosecution of EE technology patent applications; prepared Infringement and Validity opinions. Extensive patent drafting and prosecution in the fields of computer disk drive control systems; and, holography and associative memory systems. Biomedical patent work for leading California universities.
BECKMAN INSTRUMENTS Fullerton, CA
Patent Attorney 1985 - 1986
• Responsible for patent application drafting and filing in the field of bio-medical electronics, including control systems for bio-analytical devices. Automated fluid transfer for immunoassay research; electronically controlled hydraulic systems. Protection of software in conjunction with "expert" Bioanalytical research systems; protection of software for interactive training programs; kidney dialysis units; and, blood pressure monitoring and cardiac assist real-time systems.
• Responsible for patent application prosecution in the fields of analog systems; radio and television electronics; computer graphics for both vector and raster scan displays electronic identification and security systems; servo-mechanisms of automatic control; automotive related electronics and mechanical systems; materials science and welding; discrete and hybrid semiconductor fabrication; and articles of manufacture.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL STANDING:
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT CHICAGO Chicago, IL
Bachelor of Science Engineering (E.E. Equivalent - Bioengineering)
Graduated with Honors
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS COLLEGE OF LAW Champaign, IL
Juris Doctor (Also attended Northwestern University) Chicago, IL
Legal Admissions: Washington State Bar • California Bar • Illinois Bar
• Registered Patent Attorney - United States Patent and Trademark Office
L. DAVID RISH
P. O. Box 201 • Bellevue, WA 98009-0201 • 425-***-**** • ********@***.***