I am keen to begin a career in Biomedical Science. Throughout my studies, I have managed to combine studying with working and other commitments, proving myself to be committed, self-motivated, and dedicated to achieving my goals. I have demonstrated capacity to work well under pressure, good organizational skills, attention to detail and a sense of responsibility. I have excellent written and oral communication skills, as shown by both my academic and working experiences.
2008-2012 BS.Biomedical Science (Pharmacology),National University of Ireland, Galway
4th year subjects include:
•Experimental Pharmacology ● Graduated with a Second Class Honours Degree.
•Drug Development and Delivery
•CNS Drug Portfolio
1st year subjects included: 2nd year subjects included: 3rd year subjects:
•Biology •Gross Anatomy •Pharmacology
•Chemistry •Physiology •Endocrinology
•Physics •Pharmacology •Neurophysiology
•Biomedical Science •Biostatistics
•Information Technology •Bioinformatics
Practical skills gained during my degree include:
• Immunoassays, enzyme assays, cell culture skills, HPLC, microscopy, mass spectrometry, aseptic technique, SDS-PAGE, basic lab skills, writing lab reports and keeping records.
• Well trained in sterile microbiological techniques allowing for the maintenance and growth of bacterial and yeast cell cultures, clonogenic assays and statistical analysis which were key skills required for my final year thesis project, “The effect of caspase inhibitor B-VAD-fmk on Saccharomyces cerevisiae programmed cell death”.
• Experienced in mammalian cell culture skills and assays required for a group project entitled “5-fluorouracil reduces cell survival in DU-145 prostate carcinoma cells”.
• Scientific writing and research techniques, having written numerous essays including CNS Drug Development, Histamine H3 Receptors as a Novel Drug Target for the Treatment of Schizophrenia, The Development of Mirtazapine, The Effects of Alcohol on the Foetus, and The Physiology of Color Vision.
2009-2011 Diploma sa Ghaeilge, NUI Galway
Completed a diploma in the Irish language, and have a high standard of both written and spoken Irish. Graduated with 2.1 Honours.
2002- 2008 St. Joseph’s Secondary School, Rochfortbridge, Co. Westmeath
• Accounting B3 ● French B2
• Biology A1 ● Irish A2
• Chemistry A1 ● Math A1
• English A1
Aug 2012 – Present Good Samaritan Hospital, Suffern N.Y
Pharmacy technician, assisting Pharmacists in filling prescriptions, preparing medications using aseptic techniques and delivering medication to patients and Pyxis dispensing machines.
May – Aug 2011 Conrad Hilton Chicago
Waitress, working in a Michelin recommended fine dining restaurant and outdoor terrace in the luxury brand of the Hilton hotels.
2011 Longford/Westmeath General Hospital, Mullingar
Duties included work shadowing a cardiologist during clinics and ward rounds and providing patient care. I also work shadowed a pharmacist, preparing prescriptions in the hospital pharmacy and talking to patients about their healthcare.
Oct 2009 – May 2011 Irish, Math and Science Tutor
Tutoring secondary school students from the ages of 15-18 in various subjects.
Sept 2006 - May 2011 Bloomfield House Hotel, Mullingar
Bartender/Waitress, working in a fine dining restaurant and a busy bar tending to customer’s needs, handling money, organizing and planning for efficient running of service and meeting health and safety requirements.
Feb - Mar 2006 Whelehans Pharmacy, Mullingar (Internship)
Duties included work shadowing a pharmacist and working in the pharmacy serving customers, handling drugs and medical stock and making up prescriptions.
Other jobs have also included: Leader at an Irish Summer college and childminding.
Skills and Achievements:
• Excellent communication and leadership skills, and can also work well in a team, as demonstrated from my work experiences in both team and leadership-based areas.
• Extensive computational skills, which include Pitman Microsoft Word and Excel Certificates both to intermediate level. I also have considerable experience with statistical software programs such as GraphPad Prism, MiniTab and SPSS.
• Well-developed research skills, both online and in paper journals and library-based research.
• Experienced in oral presentations and designing scientific posters.
• Bronze Gaisce Award (Presidents Award).
• I have completed a Basic First Aid course, an Emergency First Aid course and a Heartsaver AED course.
• I hold a full driving license.
Interests and Hobbies:
I am a member of NUIG’s Biomedical Science Society and have a keen interest in new developments in biomedical science. I have an interest in music, and play the piano, wooden flute and tin-whistle and am a member of NUIG’s TradSoc (Traditional music society). I play badminton and squash regularly and am a member of NUIG’s Badminton Club. I also enjoy swimming and reading.
Maura Grealy Howard Fearnhead
Course Coordinator and Lecturer Thesis Supervisor and Lecturer
Dept. of Pharmacology and Therapeutics Dept. of Pharmacology and Therapeutics
School of Medicine School of Medicine
National University of Ireland, Galway National University of Ireland, Galway