Senior Project Controls Manager
● Over Thirty years experience in Project Controls within the Oil & Gas industry with projects up to US$30 billion CAPEX value.
● Experienced in both Onshore and Offshore projects.
● Experienced in all project phases of Projects from Feasibility through FEED, Detailed Design, Procurement, and Construction to Final Commissioning, Start-up and Handover.
● Extensive Planning, Scheduling, Cost Control, Risk Management and Cost/Schedule Risk Analysis experience.
● Worked in the UK, US, Malaysia, Indonesia, Japan, Italy and Middle East (Qatar) and Trinidad.
● LNG Experience in a lead role
● Worked for both Client and Contractor organisations.
● Experienced in Lump Sum, T&M and Reimbursable contracts.
● Experienced with Contract negotiations, i.e. Contractor Prequalification, Bid Preparation, Review, Clarification & Award and post-project litigation.
● Experienced in development & auditing of Project Control Systems & Procedures.
● Hands-on experience with Planning and Cost tools. Software:
Primavera Project Planner
Dbase III & IV
Pertmaster Risk Expert (now part of Primavera)
Applied Science Degree
Peter Long 2
Computer Science – UEA England
01/19 – 12/19 Meridian Energy Group Inc.
Project Controls Manager
Based in Houston, Texas responsible for Project Controls including Cost and Scheduling for several greenfield refinery projects in North America. Responsibilities include development of a structured WBS and SWBS, File System Index, Cost Control and Reporting. Responsible for supervision of all Planning and Cost controls staff. 02/16 – 08/18 Sasol, NA
Project Controls Manager Commissioning - Contract
Based in Lake Charles, Louisiana responsible for all aspects of Project Controls including Cost, Scheduling and Document control for the commissioning of the LCCP Project including offsites, Ethylene Cracker, LDPE and LLDPE units and associated Alcohols Units. Responsibilities include development of a structured WBS and SWBS, File System Index, Cost Control and Reporting. Additionally assisting in estimating for the Commissioning portion of the Project and Risk Management and Analysis. Responsible for supervision of all Planning, Cost and Document controls staff.
06/14 – 01/16 Chevron, USA
Project Controls Consultant (SME – Subject Matter Expert) - Contract Based in Houston, Texas, responsible for conducting ESAR’s (Estimate and Schedule Assurance Reviews) globally for Chevron. Work consisted of providing overall review of Project schedules and Estimates at various stages in projects. The reviews were part of an assurance process to ensure conformance with sound practices including compliance with Chevrons requirements and industry standards. Reviews included compliance and conformity to PEP’s (Project Execution Plans) and defined WBS. Review of Basis Documents, Benchmarking, Procurement and Contracting Plans and Strategies in preparation for Risk Analysis and IPA prior to final Investment Decisions at the various pre-defined Stage Gates. Projects have included Offshore facilities, onshore facilities, Subsea Tie-backs and LNG facilities. Assist development of Chevron staff in Project Controls related activities.
03/11 – 06/14 BP, Trinidad
GPO Project Controls Consultant
Responsible for Planning supervision for all Major offshore and onshore facilities being built in Trinidad. Development of schedules, WBS/CBS and Procedures to be used on the project. Participating in the contract negotiations with successful EPC contractors. Auditing of schedules, progress measurement and Cost Performance indices (CPI’s), Schedule Performance Indices
(SPI’s), development of WBS, histograms, schedule reviews and completed both Cost and Schedule risk Analysis defining the probabilistic outcome of the project in terms of P10, P50 and P90, and Cost forecasting to Total installed cost (TIC) or Estimate at Completion (EAC). Report to Corporate Project Services Manager. Training and mentoring of planning engineers on all projects currently under development in Trinidad from Select phase through Define, Execute and
Peter Long 3
Operate covering all phases, Engineering, Procurement, Execution and Commissioning. Assurance of all schedules including those produced by Subcontractors. 09/10 – 03/11 SBM Atlantia, Houston, Texas
Project Controls Manager – Tubular Bells Project
Responsible for setting up WBS/CBS, reporting, scheduling, Cost Control, VOWD and change Order procedures associated with the Tubular Bells project. Project was in early developmental stage and eventually ownership was transferred from BP to Hess, whereupon the Project team was disbanded.
11/09 – 09/10 Strategic Contract Resources Based in Houston, Texas Director – Various Projects
Assisted in developing leads for project staffing of projects by owner/operator companies. 03/98-10/09 SCR – assigned to ConocoPhillips/Chevron Phillips Chemical Company Q-Chem/NGL-4 Project & Q-Chem
Lead Project Controls Representative
Based in Houston initially for development of Project Controls Procedures, Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and Cost Breakdown Structure (CBS) for incorporation into the bid documents for the Q-Chem/NGL-4 projects. Development of front-end schedules including finance schedules and approval cycle schedules. Reported to the Project Services Manager. Trained and supervised project controls personnel – Scheduling, Cost and estimating. Participated in the contract negotiations with successful EPC contractors. Total contract values of $2 billion. Moved to Engineering Centre in Houston where responsibilities included auditing of schedules, progress measurement and Cost Performance indices (CPI’s) and completed both Cost and Schedule risk Analysis defining the probabilistic outcome of various projects in terms of P10, P50 and P90, and Cost forecasting to Total installed cost (TIC) or Estimate at Completion (EAC). Moved to Doha where responsibilities included supervision of Field Project Controls staff in all aspects of Project Controls. Saved the Company in excess of US$50MM through stringent change control and progress verification. Managed successful Project Controls group and was given a “best in class” rating for Project Controls from IPA for the Q-Chem Project. Q-Chem II Project – March 2006 – October 2009
The Q-Chem 2 project consists of:
● 350,000 MTPA Polyethylene Plant
● 350,000 MTPA Normal Alpha Olefins Plant
● Associated Offsites and Loading facilities
Main responsibilities as follows:
● Overseeing the Development & Integration of the Level 3 Project Schedules
● Development & Monthly Update of the Pre-Sanction Schedules covering all Company Activities through the FEED Phase leading to Project Approval.
● Training and mentoring of Planning Staff working for the client
● Cost and Schedule Risk Analysis
● Presentation of Schedules and Strategies to Project Management
● Development of Project Control Procedures
Peter Long 4
● Preparation of Project Controls sections of the EPC Contracts & subsequent Bid Evaluation & Clarification
● Review & Approval of Contractor Schedules and Progress Systems and approval of Monthly Progress
● Development of Project risk registers, including Risk Mitigation, Contingency Planning and periodic CAPEX and Schedule Risk Analysis as required.
● Development of Pre-commissioning and Commissioning Schedules, tracking of the schedules and frequent reviews and risk analyses.
● Change Management
● Progress verification reviews
● Preparation of Project Controls portion of Monthly reports for presentation to upper management
Main Planning Systems utilised were Primavera P3 and Primavera P6. 09/89-03/98 MW Kellogg Company
Lead Planning Engineer/Project Controls Manager
As Project Controls Manager worked on the following Projects:
● MLNG Tiga – 2 Train Proposal for Petronas. Job was based in Yokohama Japan at the JGC Offices.
● MLNG Dua – responsible for Project Controls for 3 LNG Train complex in Bintulu Malaysia. Supervision of 14 Project Controls staff including quantity surveyors.
● Reviewed Contractor and overall project schedules and cost and completed forecasts including risk analysis and development and utilization of risk registers.
● Developed detailed schedules and associated costs for installation of LNG facilities.
● Monitored contractor’s performance in terms of ACWS, ACWP, BCWS, BCWP and VOWD reviewing both the Cost Performance Index and Schedule Performance Index. Presented findings to upper management on a regular basis with recommendations as necessary.
As Lead Planner worked on the following projects:
● Ammonia/Urea Complex, Gresik, Indonesia. Was responsible for all aspects of planning from Engineering through Commissioning/start-up. Supervision of 4 Planners.
● ROSE Plant upgrade in Richmond California for Chevron. Responsible for the coordination of the Field execution phase of the project with 6 different subcontractors. Established WBS and coding structures for scheduling interfaces. Responsible for incorporating all schedule and cost into company format with period reviews and forecasting to completion.
● Work on various projects in M.W. Kellogg home office in Houston, Texas. Responsible for overall planning of Engineering, Procurement, Commissioning and Start-up. 08/87-09/89 Bay Inc
Work associated with refinery engineering, construction and vessel fabrication/installation.
Peter Long 5
Responsibilities included the following:
● Development of Project estimates.
● Development of schedules for various projects and supervision and training of company project controls staff
● Verification of achieved Progress & Payment milestones
● Planning & Cost Control aspects of a number of small EPC contracts
● Auditing of Contractor controls systems
● Bid evaluations
● Reporting to Company Management on a weekly basis for all projects in regard to both Cost & schedule.
1983-1987 Fish Engineering. Lead Shutdown/Turnaround Planner Various Projects
Lead Shutdown/Turnaround Planner
Based in the Borger, Texas Refinery, was responsible for overall detailed planning and cost forecasting of Major shutdowns associated with the following:
● FCCU Catalytic Cracking Units – Units 29 & 40
● Crude Units 9 & 10
● Atmospheric Residual Desulfurization Unit (ARDS)
● Various small units.
Reported directly to the Senior Construction Manager. Responsible for the detailed planning/resource allocation of all major shutdowns with the Refinery/NGL Process Centre. Updated schedule twice daily and issued shift work packs to all discipline leads using Premis software.
Peter Long 6
1980-1983 HM Government
Great Yarmouth, England
Based in Great Yarmouth, England. Duties included investigative studies and reports pertaining to fraudulent acts in order to obtain government benefits. Reported directly to the Senior Fraud Officer.
1978-1980 Brown & Root International
Based on lay barges in the North Sea and Gulf of Mexico performing administrative duties. Duties included the following:
● Cost Engineering
● Material, Barge, Pipe and Subcontractor Scheduling
● Material Purchasing
● Payroll Administration
● Tower Log update
Reported directly to the Barge Superintendent on a daily basis. Training:
● Primavera P3 / P6 and Pertmaster Risk Expert (including formal training).
● Artemis 9000.
● Premis (including formal training).
● Acumen Fuse (Schedule forensic Analysis)
Project Management Institute