Raymond A. Hess
Objective: I am someone who can grow with a company by mastering technologies and roles that don’t exist
Recent Training 2019: Iseries V7r1, web development, current Microsoft servers and Java programming.
Iseries Programmer/Analyst 4/2019-present Trans American Customshouse Brokers, Inc.
Manager of Technology. 10/2012-12/2018 Hess Insurance (Allstate).
Manager. 10/2005-10/2012 Combined Insurance.
Computer Teacher of MS Office. 09/1999- 6/2005 Canandaigua Central Schools.
Iseries Project Leader, Network Administrator 12/2000-11/2001 Mitchell Data Services.
AS400 IT Manager. 12/9-59/98 Ultimate Technology.
AS400 Programmer/Analyst. 05/92-12/95 Hickey-Freeman.
Ibm midrange Programmer/Analyst. 03/91-04/92 Encore Consulting.
Ibm midrange Project Leader. 07/88-12/90 Computer Task Group.
Ibm midrange Programmer/Analyst Sr. 10/87-07/88 Pennant Products.
Ibm midrange Programmer/Analyst. 10/85-10/87 Eastman Machine Company.
Ibm midrange Programmer/Analyst. 03/83-10/85 Computer People (contracting division).
0. Iseries and AS400 development in RPG ILE, SQL, DB2 database, Extol EDI, and APIs
1. Hire, train and maintain a team of 9 for the overall purpose of insurance sales and service. I was to lead the sales and telemarketing teams to achieve tactical and strategic goals to at least maximize a bonus structure supported by budgeting and sales forecasting. Design, install, maintain, service and upgrade of web phones, Microsoft servers, Windows clients, Java Contact Management, Customer tracking, and Billing System. Sales Manager, Office Manager, Customer Service Manager. I signed 1,325 clients over 12 years and serviced approximately 5000 clients.
2. Hire, train and maintain a team of 8 for the overall purpose of developing (package conversion) IBM Iseries and Windows application software systems for manufacturing companies using a small team in RPG ILE. I setup and administered a NT4.0 network with print server and Win2000 workstations. Design and oversee user training. Report development with SQL. Analyze project requirements; conduct feasibility and cost analysis; determine skills and level of resource needed; procure and deploy resources for project execution; track performance to ensure deliverables meeting best practices and defined standards; identfied ways to improve performance; lead onsite project execution; analyze change requests and determine feasibility; oversee change during project development; coordinate project activities and schedule; provide on-going reporting responsibilities; Determine and execute training requirements for programmers. EDI integration.
3. moved the installation to new facilities then planned, installed, configured, and administered a new Microsoft NT4.0 PC network with email server, fax server, backup systems, and RAS server. Developed POS systems for retail operations.
4. controlled ERP software development projects, provided application analysis, managed the computer hardware, trained users and provided technical support for the corporate departments. I developed sales applications for a new retail business. SQL development with Microsoft servers. EDI integration.
5. Hire, train and maintain a team of 25 for the overall purpose of developing application software systems for manufacturing (Mapics) and food distribution companies. Areas of responsibility included programmer hiring, supervision, budgeting, project estimating and tracking, and the project’s computer installation setup, backup processes, and upgrades. Analyzed project manpower requirements; determine skills and level of resource needed; procure and deploy resources for project execution; defined standards; identfied ways to improve performance; lead onsite project execution; analyse and oversee change requirements during project development; coordinate project activities and schedule.
6. responsible for the computer installation management, disaster recovery processes, computer operations, and computer upgrade/procurement management.
18 years’ experience and highly proficient in RPG, RPG-ILE, CL, SQL, AS/400 environments, IBM Midrange, DDM, DB2 Database, SQL RPGILE/Embedded SQL
2 years experience in XML, FTP, SFTP and Web Services
5+ years experience on supporting business critical production environment
5+ years of experience on working with distribution business systems
5+ years experience on warehouse application products
5 years experience on change management process, tools like aldon or turnover
5+ years experience in translating Business requirements to understandable IT systems requirements
10 years experience integrating application systems with iSeries
2+ years experience on reverse engineering and documenting legacy application
2 years experience with agile methodologies, managing backlogs and sprints
2+ years experience on data migration from legacy application
Nazareth College, Masters in Education, 1999
State University of New York at Brockport, Bachelors in Business Management, 1998
Erie Community College North Campus, Associates in Computer Science, 1984
Harkness Occupational Center, Kenmore, NY. Certificate in Computer Science, 1982
Udeemy, Certificate in Web Design, 2019. Iseries V7r1, web design, current Microsoft servers and Java.
IBM Mainframes: System/34, S/36, S/38, AS/400, Iseries V7r3
Microsoft workstations (10, XP, 2000, Me, 98, 95, WFW, DOS)
Server Administator: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2000, Windows NT 3.51 LAN, Windows NT 4.0 LAN, Web Design: HTML and Frontpage): 1 year
RDBMS: DB2, MySQL, Microsoft SQL server
Point Of Sales systems: 2 years
Microsoft: Office365, Office profressional 2000, Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, FrontPage, Access), Microsoft Servers: SQL, Exchange, MSMail, Fax server, RAS services, Backup services
Other: Barcoding, OCR Readers, Scanners, POS systems, Continuous Process systems
Applications: Mapics I and II, BPCS, Harris Data MRP, CMAS, MSS manufacturing Package, Harris Data Distribution
Data National Software (Adams/Access), Telemagic by Actionware, Custom Mainframe packages
IBM midrange systems: IBM Client Access, Robot. Hawkeye, RPG 2.5, Query/400. PC Support, SQL
EDI: Extol mapping, translation, network processing, transactions sets 850TS, 810, 856, 997,
integration with ERP system. X12, FTP servers, parsing ISA segments at times.
Open Source technology
ERP, MRP, EDI, Financials, HR, Distribution, Retail, MPS, CRP, import/export
Point of Sale (POS), Backup processes (backup, restore, offsite storage), Computer system performance monitoring (performance analysis, job scheduling, upgrades, conversions and emigrations). Batch proccessing, Realtime processing, B2B connectivity and transactions, EDI, remote computing, Journaling, and Commitment/Rollback.