Michael D. Moss, PhD
Writer & Editor Specializing in Information Technology and Cybersecurity
Developing Content that Positions You as a Thought Leader and Solution Provider
Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732 • Strasburg, VA 22657
“Michael is an excellent proposal writer who came into a very complex opportunity and took full ownership of his assignment. He is focused, producing high quality work on time, with attention to detail. Highly recommended and I would definitely engage Michael on future opportunities.” - Eddie Becker, PMP, CPP APMP, ITILv3, CPCM, Vice President of Proposal Excellence at Serco Inc.
Senior Writer who develops content that provides informative, valuable, and relevant information to your target audience and positions you as a thought leader and solution provider. In addition to having twelve years of experience as a full-stack application developer and systems engineer, and five years as a proposal writer, I hold a PhD in information technology, a MA in applied economics, and a BA in English. As such, I provide a combination of technical, analytical, and writing expertise, allowing me to align your corporate capabilities and solutions with business opportunities.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, and KNOWLEDGE
• Proposal Writing • Information Technology Research
• Technical Writing • Cybersecurity Research
• White Paper Development • Software/Systems Engineering
• Editing • Data Science
Senior Technical Writer
Competitive Range Solutions, LLC, Washington, D.C. Metro Area (2017- present)
Supports the office of the Department of Defense Chief Information Officer (DoD CIO) and the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) with the development of network and telecommunications requirements to transition the Department of Defense Information Network (DoDIN) from its legacy technologies to a state-of-the-art IP based infrastructure that supports unified communication and collaboration.
• Systems Engineering: Coordinates with DISA stakeholders and industry vendors to develop new requirements for the numerous architectures, standards, and protocols as defined within the DoDIN Capabilities Requirements (DCR) 2018 Framework document.
• Technical Writing & Editing: Gathers, analyzes, translates, and composes technical information into clear, readable documentation for use by both technical and nontechnical personnel. Edits functional descriptions, system specifications, special reports, and other deliverables. Conducts technical research.
Computer and Information Technology Researcher, Proposal Volume Lead, and Proposal Writer
Pencrafter, Washington, D.C. Metro Area (2013 - 2016)
Helped organizations grow by writing technically compliant proposals with compelling narratives.
• Proposal Writing: As a technical subject matter expert (SME), compared proposal requirements with respect to the client’s past performance and current capabilities to determine their bidding strategy for the Alliant 2 Unrestricted, Alliant 2 Small Business, and OASIS RAMP-ON 2 contracts.
• Proposal Writing: Served as lead writer for the $100 million National Supplier Clearinghouse Medicare Administrative Contractor (NSC MAC) proposal to support the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’s capability to provide vendor oversight and auditing.
• Proposal Writing & Editing: Served as technical writer and editor for the Office of the National Coordinator (ONC) for Health IT’s CONNECT proposal to advance the adoption and evolution of the country’s Health Information Exchange (HIE).
• Proposal Writing & Editing: Served as technical writer and editor for the U.S. Army’s Joint Program Executive Office for Chemical and Biological Defense Omnibus Program Engineering and Technical Support (JPEO-CBD OPETS) Services IDIQ.
• Information Technology Research: Wrote technical responses to Sources Sought, RFIs, and RFPs on the Federal, State, and Local levels with respect to cybersecurity and healthcare.
Information Technology Researcher, Proposal Writer, and Editor
Independent Contractor, Washington, D.C. Metro Area (2011 - 2013)
As an IT researcher, volume lead, and technical writer, supported business development by writing requirements-based proposals that effectively aligned corporate solutions with business opportunities.
• Proposal Writing: Incorporated ITIL processes, industry best practices, and organizational capabilities into the development of win themes/strategies and storyboards to support Dell Services Federal Government’s proposal for the U.S. Navy’s $7 billion Next Generation Enterprise Network (NGEN) contract.
• Proposal Writing: Wrote technical portion of the net assurance section and its associated task order to support Science Applications International Corporation’s (SAIC) proposal for DISA’s $4.6 billion Global Information Grid Services Management Operations (GSM-O) contract. Described SAIC’s processes to safeguard DISA’s digital infrastructure using the DoD O-8530.1-M’s Computer Network Defense Services (CNDS) Evaluation Framework.
• Proposal Writing: Served as volume lead for a task order to support Dell Services Federal Government's proposal for the National Institutes of Health’s Cyber Technologies Staff Augmentation Program, a contract potentially worth $120 million.
• Proposal Writing: Developed technical material to support URS-Apptis’s proposal for the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation’s $140 million IT Infrastructure Operations Support Services (ITIOSS) contract. Interviewed subject matter experts to gather information supporting URS-Apptis’s capability to manage end-user support services and service desk operations.
Doctoral Student/Researcher, Information Technology & Information Security
Capella University, Minneapolis, MN (2008 - 2014)
Capella’s PhD program in Information Technology and Information Security prepares students to conduct scholarly research, communicate effectively, and develop professional skills.
• Cybersecurity Research: Reviewed government and industry standards regarding compliance requirements for the safeguarding of data. Examined governance principles and how they ensure security programs are aligned with an organization’s long-term strategic objectives. Evaluated emerging information security protection research to gauge, estimate, and examine the impact of implementing various system and application security protection mechanisms.
Senior Systems Engineer
MBA Consulting Services, Inc., Springfield, VA (2008 - 2009)
Served as a Microsoft SharePoint administrator and intranet developer for the U.S. Army.
• Systems Engineering: Installed and configured MOSS 2007. Performed administrative duties to include site creation, permission management, data retention, and monitoring of server status. Created and maintained document libraries and lists. Developed and modified custom pages.
• Software Engineering: Developed intranet applications using Visual Studio (ASP.NET, VB.NET, HTML, CSS) and Microsoft SQL Server. Conducted initial meetings with users to collect, analyze, and evaluate business requirements, as well as follow-up meetings to review project status and provide demonstrations. Performed unit and application level testing. Integrated completed applications into existing infrastructure.
Systems Engineer, Staff
Lockheed Martin Corporation, Northern VA (2003 - 2008)
Participated in systems engineering, software development, and integration tasks in support of FBI programs.
• Systems Engineering: Supported development of an electronic case management system (Sentinel) for the FBI. Developed technical documentation detailing the system’s design specifications. Wrote operational procedures. Integrated security-monitoring applications into existing network infrastructure.
• Technical Management: Served as a team lead for the FBI’s Information Assurance Technology Infusion program. Supervised software development and performed related tasks, which included scheduling project milestones, developing technical requirements, and preparing technical documentation (hardware/software architecture, system design specifications, test plans, functional operations, and system maintenance).
• Proposal Writing: Served as team and volume lead for the development of Life Cycle Cost estimates and trade studies for Lockheed Martin’s successful AMF JTRS proposal effort for the Department of Defense, an award valued at $766 million.
NCI Information Systems, Inc., McLean, VA (2001 - 2002)
Served as Operations/Logistics Manager and application development lead for the STORES program.
• Technical Management: Supervised software development activities and related tasks, including requirements gathering, configuration management, quality assurance, help desk, installation, and training. Supported operational planning, program supervision, budgetary administration, and oversight.
• Proposal Writing: Assisted in securing extensions for current delivery orders and developing new business, increasing the program’s duration from six weeks to over a year and its funding by over $1 million.
Ph.D. (Information Technology & Information Security). Capella University (2014)
Graduated with Distinction
M.A. (Applied Economics). University of Nevada, Las Vegas (1992)
The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
Omicron Delta Epsilon International Honor Society in Economics
Conference Presentation, “An Examination of Pay versus Performance in Major League Baseball: Prelude to Optimization,” Western Economic Association International 66th Annual Conference
M.P.A. (Administrative Organization & Management). Golden Gate University (1983)
B.A. (English). Hampden-Sydney College (1977)
Certificates in Data Science. IBM Data Scientist Professional Certificate (2019)
Microsoft Professional Program Data Science Certificate (2017)
Commission. Officer Training School, United States Air Force (1980)