Stephen J. McConnell
Providence, RI *****
Results-driven Project Manager with demonstrated success in system integration and the translation of highly complex business requirements into business and system specifications.
Reputation as a proactive and collaborative leader who succeeds in managing cross-functional teams in strategic planning, researching, driving issue-resolution and risk-mitigation.
Deep business skills in both the Financial Services and the A/E/C industries; scheduling, estimating, and project cost controls.
Broad technical skills including relational databases and virtualization technologies. Employment History
2013 – 2018 SJM Capital Corp., Boston, MA
• Providing independent consulting services to construction contractors on nearly every aspect of the construction contracting business.
• Specializing in Claims, Arbitration Panels, Dispute Resolution Boards.
• Instructing clients’ staff to conduct their operations in a manner best suited for supporting and substantiating future claims under the contract. 2009 – 2014 Boston Technologies, Boston, MA
QA Engineer, Software Implementation
• Performed Business Analysis, System Analysis and Quality Assurance support to IT and business software development in a start-up environment.
• Led multiple simultaneous support efforts for software release management process; created and implemented deployment plans, checklists, and contact lists.
• Executed all testing and drove issue-resolution and risk mitigation activities.
• Recommended process enhancements to improve the accuracy and quality of measurements and targets; developed and delivered presentations to management and project teams.
• Supervised the client-facing technical support desk, 24/5.
• Trained and coached support staff; Authored training documentation. 1989 – 2008 Norfolk Electric, Quincy, MA
Served in several capacities over nineteen years, beginning in an IT Administration role, then as Project Assistant, Project Manager, and Senior Contract Manager. Sr. Contracts Manager
• P/L responsibility for multiple construction contracts; annual volume greater than $35 million.
• Point of contact for Owners, Architects, Sureties, General Contractors, Suppliers, and Unions.
• Analysis of Contract requirements, General and Special Conditions.
• Supervision of Project Managers and bookkeeping staff.
• Requisitions, Schedules and Earned-Value Analysis.
• Negotiation of Contract Changes and Extra-Work Orders
• Job-Cost analysis and Work-in-Progress statements.
• Preparation of RFPs to Vendors and Suppliers, answering RFIs from same, final negotiation of Statements of Work.
• Approval of Purchase Orders and Subcontracts, Vendor management, Supplier evaluations.
• Preparation and presentation of claims and disputes.
• Represented the firm before Dispute Resolution Boards.
• Presented and rebutted arguments regarding contract provisions;
• Performed schedule and accounting analysis in support of same;
• Directed outside legal counsel;
• Negotiated final settlements, and secured final payments.
• Partial project list includes:
MWRA, Deer Island, Integrated Thermal Energy Plant Harvard University, Northwest Laboratory
Beth Israel Hospital / Longwood Medical Area Thermal Energy Plant
Boston Medical Center
IT Project Manager
• Managed infrastructure design, estimation, sourcing and implementation of security, life-safety, SCADA, and related networks for several high-value, multi-year construction projects.
• Developed quantity takeoffs from drawings and functional specifications.
• Prepared specific budgets, tracked quantities and field costs, prepared progress reports.
• Coordinated the efforts of vendors, suppliers and design engineers.
• Partial project list includes:
Harvard University, Center for Government and International Studies
MIT, Smith Hall
Integrated Project Control System of the Ted Williams Tunnel System Administrator
• Designed, installed, managed and supported an office network of 60 users and several off-site offices.
• Installed and managed MS Advanced Server, mail server, Linux NAS appliances, Cisco routers (Catalyst platform), wireless access points, and VPN.
• Installed and coordinated vendor support of industry-specific software: Accubid Estimating, CF Data Structure and Timberline Accounting Servers.
• Supported end-users in their use of Windows 9x, 2000, and XP as well as commercial applications: MS Office, Project, Visio, Expedition and AutoCAD. 1982 – 1989 John Hancock Distributors, Boston, MA
Marketing and Compliance Manager
• Led training seminars throughout the country for sales agents and staff.
• Conducted sales seminars nationwide for clients and prospective clients.
• Initiated the company’s first Spanish-language marketing campaign.
• Increased sales in Puerto Rico 370%.
• Series’ 7, 63, and 39 licenses.
Harvard Extension School, Project Management Program, 1997-1999 Cornell University, BA Economics, 1980
Associated Subcontractors of Mass., Director, 2000 – 2007 Lobbied state legislators and appeared at public hearings as a subject matter expert on matters pertaining to legislation of public bidding and construction.