Paul A. McCarn – Technical Resume
Paul A McCarn firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone 252-***-****
Vanceboro NC, 278586
Skills and Experience
• Systems administration
- Windows Server 2000, 2003, Windows Server 2008R2, Windows Server 2012
(AD included), Linux CentOS / Redhat (RHEL), Linux Mint, Ubuntu Server
- Desktop Deployment (Windows 2000 through Windows 8.1)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and 2008R2 installation deployment, and maintenance, SQL reporting services
- Backups: Symantec Backup Exec (Veritas) Versions 10d and up, Dell Appasure
- MSFT IIS server, versions 6 and up
- Server, Workstation and network monitoring, PRTG (Paessler), Nagios, – SNMP, WMI, and RMON switch reporting/analysis protocol
- File Server administration: DFS, MSFT Sharepoint synchronization and administration, MSFT OneDrive.
- Mail Servers: On Premises MSFT Exchange, MS Office365 in conjunction with Exchange Online Services and Client Access Manager. SmarterMail, MailEnable
- Experienced in troubleshooting and repairing PC hardware, server hardware, building custom servers, repairing individual server/PC components.
- Install/swap drives, power supplies, system memory, processors, boards, etc.
- Experienced with complex installs of racked mounted datacenter infrastructure: servers, network equipment, power supplies (PDU), and disk enclosure systems
- Hardware RAID – All levels
- Cabling: Patch, run, connect and/or terminate CAT5/CAT6 cabling in office and datacenter environments
- Knowledgeable in power systems to server racks from single and 3 phase power inputs, also battery backup.
- Proficient with EMC Storage solutions
- Proficient with Dell PowerVault (MD) Storage, iSCSI, FC, and DAS units
- Proficient with HP SAN technologies, iSCSI and DAS
- Proficient with VOIP telephony systems: including 3CX, some experience with Avaya systems on Marine Corps Enterprise Network also provisioning of phones and dial plans depending on site, PBX and SIP.
- Dell PowerConnect switch(es) installation configuration and administration
- SAN – iSCSI and FC configuration Windows and Linux/ESXi
- IP v4 routing and subnet implementations
- UNIX / Linux iptables/netfilter firewall configuration, SPI, NAT common VPN technologies, PPtP, IPSec, OpenVPN
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server
- Microsoft Virtual Server 2005
- VMWare Server, VMWare Workstation, VCenter VMWare Appliances, ESXi
(VMWare) high availability environments.
- Citrix Zen server.
- Team leader of helpdesk group, assigns tasks (tickets) to the person(s) most qualified to complete task on first site visit or call.
- Managing other Information technology employees and associates, including but not limited to: field technicians, desktop support technicians, network technicians and a variety of vendors to act as subject matter expert.
- Assessing performance of others
- Communicating with others to identify issues and meet IT project goals, both written and verbal.
- Perform evaluations of others when necessary as to determine strengths and weaknesses for the benefit of overall company goals and employee assignments, roles.
- Making schedules for: employee hours, implementation of projects, setting deadlines for project assessment as well as completion based on corporate and customer requirement.
- Managing vendor relationships as related to IT, assessing vendor contracts and evaluation of bids for new vendor contracts. Work History
7/2012 to present – Senior Network Specialist and Consultant, PC Support, Server Support Expert
- Silicon Solutions Inc. 402 N. Greene St. Greenville NC, 27834 As a full time employee I have filled the role of the company’s senior networking specialist and large infrastructure expert. Presently I support many local law firms and doctors’ offices with their day to day applications, computer, server, and network operations. For several larger clients (with 150 plus employees) I act in both a consulting and “Hands-on” role. I am knowledgeable with but not limited to MSFT Windows workstation OSes(all of them), MSFT Windows Server (Exchange, AD, Remote Application and Desktop Services, MAC OS, iOS, Android as well as several distributions of Linux. To date I continue to support these environments, as well as a nation-wide MPLS network (Multiprotocol Label Switching) as well as (redundant) VPN mesh which provide client(s) with reliable site to site and internet connectivity. Additionally, making recommendations to current customers as to what desktop, laptop, thin client, or most efficient system hardware is best as to get the job done has been an ongoing activity.
12/2007 to 6/2012 – Systems Administrator, Sales Engineer, Customer Support Representative
- 3Essentials Hosting Inc. 2300 Gateway Centre Blvd. STE 101 Morrisville NC, 25760
As the first full time employee at 3Essentials I filled several roles, all them fast-paced and constantly evolving. Over the years these roles have overlapped each other; this has required an extensive knowledge of network and computer technologies from the server/datacenter level, all the way down to the end user/client and their experience. Since employment, the company has grown from only a few thousand customers to tens of thousands of customers and from a handful of servers to hundreds. Day to day tasks include working with a variety of systems including; Windows Web Server systems, LAMP
(Linux Apache MySQL PHP) based web servers, DNS servers (both MS DNS and BIND), MSSQL, MySQL, Dell PowerConnect switches, corporate backup and antivirus, enterprise firewall systems, customer and work order tracking systems, corporate email, and many other hosting related systems. Keeping-up communication and maintaining a knowledgebase to share with other technicians was also an essential role. Duties have also included on call rotations for critical hardware, software and customer issues.
• As a Sales Engineer the ability to determine a customer`s needs and quickly deliver a solution is a primary objective.
• As a Systems Administrator, I am part of a small team responsible for several hundred internet facing application servers, many of which host websites for public university systems and major corporations (over 20,000 websites). Designing then implementing and maintaining infrastructure to support a growing customer base. I am also experienced with a variety of remote administration tools / Protocols including: MSTSC (RDP), SSH, Putty, VNC, KVM/IP, and Tivoli just to name a few. The ability to analyze system events and historical resources to determine future hardware needs is also key.
• As a Customer Support Representative I use the experienced skillset listed above to troubleshoot and resolve customer support inquiries as they relate to hosted service.
06/2003 to 6/26/07 – Engineer / Team Lead / Administrator
– U.S. Department State, Department of Defense - MARFORLANT / US Fleet Forces Command – Supervisor: Brian Mobley (deceased) With little or no supervision, coordinates with Department of Defense contractors, implements and provides troubleshooting procedures, and manages 15 computer technicians. Creates work schedules and itineraries for technicians. Develops and maintains operating procedures for technicians to meet Service Level Agreement deadlines. Coordinates with multiple vendors troubleshoot, repair, and upgrade equipment. Maintains a current level of knowledge in the information technology field (software applications and hardware). Provides complex technical support and excellent customer service. Coordinates with system administrators for account creations, account maintenance, and the restoration of data. Maintains network security. Identifies problems and provides support directly to the end user (customer) via remote operating procedures or in person. Troubleshoots and determine the best possible solution by modifying applications, programs, system files or resolving hardware issues. Provides support for local area networks (LAN) including the installation of switches, hubs, pulling cable, and testing connectivity. Installs, upgrades, maintains, and moves computer equipment. Maintain TS-SCI clearance to carry-out job duties. 03/2003 to 06/2003 - Administrator / Technician (Dept. of Defense Contract)
- Networks Plus Technology Group, 13700 Stowe Drive San Diego, CA 92064; Ray Thompson, 252-***-****
Populates a Windows 2000 Domain with new computers. Maintains a database of reports for inventory of computer assets. Tracks employee times, and generates reports for overall productivity. Migrates data from computers to servers. Installs computer hardware, including memory, hard drives, CD ROMS, and modems. Coordinates and develops training for personnel to ensure computer automation systems are used to full extent. Performs a wide variety of diagnostic testing on computer systems to identify problems and resolve issues. Provides user level instructions for computer, network, and email use.
06/2002 to 11/2002 - Network and PC Technician
- PC Consultant Plus, 1570 Patton Ave. Asheville, NC 28806; Donald Pittman, 828-***-****
Sells and completes custom computer builds as a Certified Microsoft System Builder. Provides service for networks or hardware (placement and/or maintenance), and maintaining relationships for a wide range of clientele. Maintains network service included NT and 2000 Domains. 02/2002 to 02/2002 - Windows 2000 Technician (Short Contract)
- Teksystems, 555 North Pleasantburg Dr. Suite 100 Greenville, SC 29607; Craig Albers, 864-***-****
Install Microsoft Windows 2000-OS/2 dual boot rollout for Ford Motor Credit Corporation in Hendersonville, NC / Charleston, SC and Columbia, SC. Oversees the physical placement and OS installations of 25 new Workstations and two Servers at each site. Implements Microsoft’s Remote Installation Services to complete the task of deploying new workstations. EDUCATION
- New Bern HS, Graduate - New Bern, NC 1993
- NCSU, Raleigh, NC – 1993-94 freshman / sophomore (poli sci)
- Univeristy Tübingen (Eberhard Karls University), DE/GER - Graduate 1998
– BA Proto-Indo-European Language Studies
- SofTrain Vocational School, Asheville, NC: Nov, 2000
- Microsoft MCSE Program
Microsoft Certified Professional (Windows 2000)
Microsoft Certified System Administrator (Windows 2000)