Stephan M. Schmidt, C.P.M.
Smyrna, GA. 30080
Objective: Highly motivated and proactive Certified Purchasing Manager, recipient of Purchasing Magazine’s Medal of Professional Excellence, and Speaker/Presenter at ISM’s Global Procurement Conference with a 20-year successful track record for reducing costs, improving cash-flow, and increasing process efficiencies is seeking a challenging, long-term career with a company that utilizes Strategic Sourcing to improve their bottom-line. Education:
Bachelor’s Degree in Strategic Sourcing / Supply Chain Management from Michigan State University – Consistently ranked as #1 program in the country for its Supply Chain Management Program
Certified Purchasing Manager (C.P.M.) from the Institute for Supply Chain Management
Delta Airlines Inc. – Atlanta, GA.
Strategic Sourcing Commodity Manager – IT Software, Hardware, and Professional Services Responsibilities:
• Develop category spend management strategies for IT Hardware, Software, and Professional Service spend and build consensus with client business stakeholders.
• Build comprehensive negotiation plans to support strategic sourcing initiatives.
• Obtain savings opportunities and effectively manage vendors to maintain the highest standards of service and quality.
• Facilitate communication between clients, business units, internal stakeholders and suppliers for enhanced productivity.
• Provide leadership, mentoring, and support to onsite and cross-functional teams to ensure they understand their roles and interdependence in the negotiation process.
• Build and effectively maintain relationships within all organizational levels to ensure expectations and service objectives are being exceeded.
• Negotiated contract with major Joint Venture airline for the purchase of Weather Forecasting software and services resulting in $1.2M over a 30 month term.
• Negotiated contract in support of a new Flight Plan System for Flight Control expected to result in an annual savings of $7.1M.
• Achieved an annual savings of $1M by negotiating a contract for the conversion of Sabretalk code to C code format for Reservations.
• Negotiated an agreement for the renewal of suppliers Surface Management system and Diversion Management while obtaining an annual cost savings of $120K.
• Migrated Regression Testing Services contract to a new supplier utilizing 70% offshore resources resulting in a $750K cost reduction over the next 3 years.
Fiserv – Alpharetta, GA.
2013 - 2016
Enterprise Strategic Sourcing Manager – IT Hardware, Software, Professional Services Responsibilities:
• Responsible for an annual spend of $200M+.
• Analyze relevant market conditions, best-in-class technology trends, cost drivers, and economic indicators.
• Work with internal clients to understand their requirements and help educate them on best in class options available.
• Lead Sourcing projects from engagement to contract implementation via the 7-Step Sourcing Process.
• Rationalize supply base to leverage spend with fewer suppliers to receive better contract terms and prices.
• Perform contract reviews for applicable areas of responsibility.
• Influencing Skills: The ability to work in close alignment with other functions internally and suppliers externally to influence others so that the desired results are achieved. Achievements:
• Reduced Laptop and Desktop costs by $1.2M via the establishment of three standard configurations.
• Developed a new Enterprise Agreement with Cisco for routers, switches, and Security Hardware (HW)/Software (SW) resulting in a $4.3M savings and a $6.4M annual cost avoidance.
• Reduced annual storage costs by $1.8M via increased discounts consistent with leading-edge benchmarked pricing. Also leveraged spend to increase discounts from EMC Federation companies.
• Performed Quarterly Business Reviews (QBRs) w/key suppliers to ensure Service Level Agreements (SLAs) are being met.
• Reduced annual costs by $1.3M on a $5M annual spend by renegotiating HW, SW, and Maintenance discounts in addition to increasing rebate tiers.
• Exceeded savings goals in 2003, 2014, and 2015
SunTrust Bank –Atlanta, GA.
2010 - 2013
Vice President - Strategic Sourcing, IT
• Develop and lead the sourcing category strategies for Infrastructure HW, SW, Image & Workflow, Web Applications
(including those for Social Media), Hosted Solutions, ASPs and various other SW commodities while ensuring that best practices are utilized throughout the sourcing lifecycle.
• Assess internal requirements and operating environments, develop sourcing strategies, establish selection criteria, evaluate suppliers, lead contract negotiations, and drive project implementations.
• Ensure effective process and communication channels are in place to maximize the delivery of sourcing projects while keeping Executive stakeholders continuously up to date.
• Build strong value based relationships with LOBs and BU’s to proactively manage requirements and demand.
• Establish and create detailed spend baselines and analytics within responsible categories.
• Accountability/Results Driven: Personal willingness to be responsible for the outcome of your actions and the determination and know-how to ensure that results are achieved.
• Project Management: The ability to manage multiple projects to deliver the desired outcome.
• Establish performance scorecards and SLAs.
• Develop and implement Sourcing standards, procedures, and disciplines.
• Implement multi-year strategic alliances with suppliers to leverage company-wide volumes for lower prices and more efficient processes.
• Demonstrated excellence in the management of complex, high-value supplier relationships.
• Proven successful track record for consolidating suppliers and driving spend to preferred suppliers/contracts.
• Annual savings goal exceeded in 2010, 2011, & 2012
• Reduced Pega Developer costs by 38% ($500K) per year by assisting a smaller but highly specialized local and diverse supplier in ramping up resources / capabilities at lower rates with no travel related expenses.
• Achieved an annual cost savings of $980K (off $6.7M base) via the reduction in the number of Microsoft Enterprise licenses covered by Software Assurance, aligning software requirements by user profile, and product license rationalization.
• Developed “Engagement Kick-off” deck to assist stakeholders understand the Sourcing Process and to ensure consistency amongst Sourcing teammates.
AT&T Mobility – Atlanta, GA. & Jacksonville, FL.
Consultant Position - 2009 – 2010
Senior Sourcing Manager – Consultant Position through 3rd Party Responsibilities:
• Utilize Cloud Storage to reduce internal storage costs.
• Develops and implements purchasing strategies that incorporates contracts, purchasing tools and supplier management techniques.
• Drive end-to-end strategic sourcing processes designed to reduce costs while improving service levels for multiple IT spend categories including Software, Maintenance, and Training.
• Profile spend categories, develop sourcing strategies, evaluate current and potential suppliers, develop negotiation strategies, draft and negotiate contractual terms & conditions.
• Inform management of emerging technologies, progress of new initiatives, supplier and/or product performance, and areas where additional value can be realized.
• Achieved a $4.43M (41%) annual reduction in maintenance and support costs by assisting in the development of a Train-the-Trainer program designed to provide internal technical resources with the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully implement, operate, maintain, and support AT&T’s 3G network technologies instead of utilizing external technicians.
• Achieved a $2.96M cost avoidance by developing a new pricing methodology and extending the support of End–of-Life technology related to Office Reach services.
• Led negotiations for Answer Tone services resulting in an annual cost reduction of $2.16M (31%). INVESCO – Atlanta, GA.
2005 – 2009
Global Procurement Manager –IT & Indirect Sourcing Responsibilities:
• Recruited to assist in developing an Indirect Sourcing department to strategically source Corporate Services and Indirect Products for North America, UK, Continental Europe and Asia Pac including but not limited to: Computer Hardware & Software, Telecom, Travel, Corporate Cards, Temporary Labor & Contracting Services, Market Data, and Contract Management.
• Analyze company-wide spend and develop analytics designed to identify and prioritize savings opportunities.
• Assess stakeholder requirements and current operating environments, assist in developing standard contracts, develop sourcing strategies, evaluate suppliers, negotiate contracts, implement project plans, evaluate market Best in Class pricing, evaluate supplier performance against developed contractual service levels, and track savings.
• Develop and implement strategic procurement processes and policies designed to standardize global operating procedures.
• Reduced annual Corporate Card and T&E costs by $3.9M (23%) via lower contract fees and increased rebate opportunities.
• Reduced annual Software costs by $2M (26%) over 3-year term via a new MS Enterprise Agreement and MS LAR amendment.
• Reduced annual Temporary and Contract labor cost by $7.6M (36%) via standard job descriptions and leveraging spend with a prime and secondary supplier.
• Reduced annual Telecom costs by 23% through the rationalization of all telecom lines/data circuits and leveraging spend with a prime supplier where possible.
• Reduced annual costs for Small Parcel by 17% via leveraging localized spend and implementing a new corporate policy that established guidelines per shipping priority level/shipping method.
• Exceeded savings goals in 2005, 2006, and 2007
Electrolux – Augusta, GA.
2003 - 2005
Global Procurement Director - Services, Indirect Materials, IT/IS & Packaging Responsibilities:
• Develop and implement Best-in-Class Supply Chain and Procurement strategies for IT (Computer Hardware/Software) Corporate Services, MRO, Telecom, Print, Temporary Labor, Office Supplies and Corrugated Packaging.
• Fully leverage all applicable volumes/spend globally to reduce the Total Cost of Ownership and increase process efficiencies.
• Develop RFI/RFPs, negotiate contracts, establish Service Level Agreements (SLAs), and develop performance metrics for respective suppliers.
• Exceeded savings goals in 2003 and 2004
• Reduced annual Computer Hardware Maintenance costs by $3.0M (22%) via the standardization of Desktop and Laptop configurations.
• Led a 9-member team responsible for reducing the annual costs of Office Supplies, Facility Maintenance, and Temporary Labor by $15.0M.
• Saved $4.6M (33%) by aggregating the volumes for the top five MRO items procured at each manufacturing facility and leveraging the total spend while standardizing on functionally equivalent parts.
• Reduced annual corrugate costs by $6.4M (20%) via a new one year contract extension that increased the prior year’s rebate from 4.0% to 8.5%, added a 5% Cost-Out guarantee clause in addition to a 3% New Business Rebate incentive, and capped the price paid per ton despite market increases. Consolidated Container Company LLC - Atlanta GA.
Director for Indirect Sourcing
• Recruited to develop a Sourcing Department for Indirect including Information Technology (IT), Corporate/Facility Services, Indirect Materials, and E-Commerce including the following: Temporary Labor, Consulting, Professional Recruiting, Human Resource Benefits, Tax Audits, Travel & Entertainment, Fleet Services & Leases, Capital Equipment, Telecommunications, Software Licensing, Facility Maintenance, MRO, Advertising Products/Services, Energy, Office Supplies/Equip., Material Handling Equipment, E- Auctions, Real Estate, and Government Incentives for 60 global manufacturing plants and 4 support facilities.
• Responsible for assessing cost reduction opportunities, analyzing demand and supply trends, forecasting, developing negotiation strategies, establishing selection criteria, developing and evaluating RFI/RFPs, establishing KPIs, and implementing Continuous Improvement Programs.
• Lead contract negotiations, reduce corporate risk, and achieve desired total cost savings goals. Achievements:
• Centralized all major Indirect and Corporate Service spend categories for 60 global manufacturing plants and 4 support facilities.
• Reduced annual Temporary Labor costs via a “turn-key” Staffing Agreement by $1.9M (22%), Temp-to-Perm fees by 70%, Drug Screening fees by 45%, Recruiting Fees by 17%, and the number of agencies utilized by 98%.
• Reduced annual Voice, Wireless, and Data costs by $1.98M (65%) and the supply base by 96% via 3 new contracts.
• Negotiated Electric Supply Agreements for facilities in TX, CA, OH, PA, & IL resulting in an annual savings of $3.63M
• Leveraged the spend with multiple Travel agencies with that of one Travel Services provider and negotiated discounts with several airlines, rental car companies, and hotel chains to achieve an annual savings of $1.2M.
• Annual Office Supply costs reduced by $420K (35%) via leveraged volumes and product standardization/ substitution.
• Reduced 1st year annual MRO costs by $360K (15%) and 2nd year annual MRO costs (28%) by leveraging the spend with 500+ different vendors with that of one MRO distributor to achieve significant price discounts, rebate opportunities, and data availability later used to negotiate further discounts from the OEMs utilized. American Airlines & Sabre Inc. - Ft. Worth, TX. 1997 – 2000 Sr. Commodity Mgr. – U.S. Desktop Services
• Strategically source Computer Hardware and Software, IS, Peripherals, Printers, IT Maintenance Services, Help Desk Support (50 Help Desk Employees), Equipment Installations / Removals, Product Certifications, and Product Distribution for American Airlines, American Eagle, Sabre Inc., US Airways, Canadian Air, and Sabre Reservation System customers.
• Managed 8-member team responsible for implementing IT procurement strategies, identifying potential supply sources, developing and evaluating RFQ/RFPs, negotiating contracts, monitoring supplier performance and instituting supplier corrective action programs.
• Successfully facilitated and managed the integration of an 8-member, on-site Computer Hardware and Software Distributor responsible for functioning as an extension to “in-house” Project Managers, Engineers, and Buyers, resulting in a $6M annual cost reduction
• Developed and implemented a Computer Standardization program resulting in the ability to leverage the volumes from several customers to obtain a $2.7M volume rebate while reducing support costs by $4.2M per year
• Led a 10-member cross-functional team responsible for developing and negotiating a two year IT Hardware Maintenance Agreement renewal resulting in a $7.0M cost savings, additional SLAs, and increased termination flexibility
• Developed & negotiated a five year, $50M Desktop Service Option Agreement for Second Level Maintenance Support and Hardware Installations for US Airways resulting in an annual cost savings of $10M
• Led 7-member team (reporting directly to Sabre’s CIO) responsible for improving Response and Repair Times by 20% via the implementation of a consigned inventory program for long lead-time parts