ROBERT M. MEACHAM
Dedicated scientist and supervisor with several years experience overseeing the research, development and validation of analytical and physicochemical methods using classical wet methods, chromatographic and spectroscopic techniques as well as thermal and physical analyses. Highly experienced in analytical methods development as well as calibration, repair, retrofitting and rebuilding of various types of chromatographic and spectroscopic instrumentation. Experienced in liquid, mix, and powdered thermoset adhesives research and development including formulation, product evaluation, and scale up.
· Many years experience as a supervisor of technical personnel as well as hands-on experience in many categories of chemical analysis, including titrations, gravimetry, and thermal wet techniques as well as several disciplines of instrumental analysis.
· Extensive experience at maintaining, calibrating, and operating the following instruments: 60 MHz proton NMR, UV-vis, GC-MS, GC-TC, GC-FID, polar and non-polar GPC, polarograph, FTIR, CHN, IC, HPLC-PDA, pDSC, DMA, TGA, AA and ICP-OES.
· Extensive experience in physical testing including Tinius-Olson and Instron tensile testing machines as well as photomicroscopy and image analysis of photomicrographs.
· Highly experienced in Perkin-Elmer Spectrum™ and Lab Manager™, Agilent Chemstation™ and Waters Millennium™ and Empower™ data acquisition software.
· Received Vice-President's Team Technical Innovation Awards in 1987 and 1990.
· Received Analytical Method Author Awards in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008.
· Received Award for Best Technical Presentations in 2007 and 2008.
Bachelor of Science, Physics, Arkansas State University, 1974
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry, Arkansas State University, 1976
Georgia Pacific Chemicals, LLC., Decatur, GA 1996 to Present
Scientist, Wood Adhesives Group
Served as Group Leader for Wood Adhesives Analytical Group.
▪ Met highly aggressive project timelines for sample turn-around, which was proven to be significantly effective for maintaining customer support.
▪ Provided technical support to feasibility projects and product research and development.
▪ Developed adhesive system to bond LVL products which generated 30% increase in throughput.
▪ Developed adhesive system to bond steam injected beam products. Subsequent improvements yielded 15% improvement in line speed.
▪ Identified relevant interactions between powder properties and cure rate. Designed, developed methodologies, and manufactured prototype instrument to quantitatively analyze those interactions.
▪ Participated in strategic planning and preparing budgetary estimates for the department.
▪ Kept abreast of scientific advances in the field of analytical chemistry, regularly communicating information to department members.
▪ Mentored, encouraged and supported career development of staff.
Georgia Pacific Resins, Inc., Crossett, AR 1987 to 1996
Senior Development Chemist, Wood Adhesives Group
Established a method development and validation laboratory that required evaluating instruments for purchase, setting up instruments, writing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and hiring personnel.
▪ Coordinated development and validation of analytical methods, reviewing test methods and results and assisting in problem-solving.
▪ Managed day-to-day operations as well as maintaining in-house computer systems, analytical database and local area network.
Georgia Pacific Resins, Inc., Crossett, AR 1984 to 1987
Development Chemist, Wood Adhesives Group
Planned and performed research projects for the Wood Adhesives Group. Coordinated research projects to meet objectives and managed laboratory personnel involved during manager’s absence.
▪ Designed and developed adhesive systems for use in plywood, oriented strand board, laminated veneer lumber, and hardboard applications.
▪ Developed methodologies for various types of instrumental and wet chemical analyses.
▪ Assisted management in equipment acquisition and staff recruiting
Georgia Pacific Resins, Inc., Crossett, AR 1978 to 1984
Chemist, Wood Adhesives Group
Held primary responsibility for development of technologies for use in wood adhesive analyses. This involved development of both instrumental and wet chemical methodologies for use in determining various resin properties. Worked closely with management in establishing external scientific and business collaborations.
▪ Developed and validated analytical methods; worked independently on routine and non-routine analyses.
▪ Designed and developed inter-lab telecommunications network which performed various calculations using teletypes connected through modems to a single personal computer .
▪ Designed, developed and maintained database of various resin properties.