firstname.lastname@example.org | www.deniseklarquist.com
Passionate about building a strong relationship between design, marketing
and business to create meaningful solutions to real problems
You have in front of you the resume of a strong leader and collaborator; a highly organized, strategic, systems thinker; an experienced visual designer and writer; and a passionate traveler. All in one package.
I have over twenty years of professional experience in design, brand experience, integrated marketing and communications strategy, management, and operations.
I have implemented successful, pragmatic approaches to marketing in alignment with company vision, resources, and budgets. I know my way around a spreadsheet. I can motivate and facilitate direct reports and cross-functional teams to point us all in one direction - the right one. And if you put me on a plane to a foreign land, I won’t complain. Far from it.
• At Cheskin, led major redesign of company branding and messaging including website, collateral, advertising and signage.
• Managed Cheskin company brand and marketing positioning evolution through a major merger (2000) and acquisition (2007).
• Led the development, launch and promotion of many high visibility projects including a video profile of Hispanic teens (Nuestro Futuro); publicized research studies, e.g. Fast, Focused and Fertile: the Innovation Evolution; and two books focused on meaningful innovation and China’s emerging consumer culture (Making Meaning and China’s New Culture of Cool).
• Authored, co-authored and/or edited articles in publications including Business 2.0, Harvard Business Review, Design Management Journal, and Step Magazine.
• Implemented PR campaigns resulting in media exposure in highly influential media, e.g. The New York Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Wall Street Journal, Inc., Entrepreneur, BusinessWeek, Brandweek and NPR, among others.
• Developed and launched Cheskin’s first weblog in 2003, at a time when corporate weblogs were virtually unknown, and its first podcast series in 2008, dramatically increasing web visibility and traffic.
• Led the creation of a new comprehensive database consolidating all project information from 1950 to present, improving efficiencies in business development and research.
• In Morocco, acted as liaison between non-french/arabic speaking volunteers and non-english speaking staff improving volunteer effectiveness.
Experience in detail…
KLARQUIST, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico and San Francisco, California
Design strategy, marketing communications and public relations
Principal 2009 to Current
• Brand identity, web design and writing for individual clients in Mexico and the U.S.
• Marketing and PR campaign development and execution for Added Value US (www.added-value.com)
CASA DE LOS ANGELES, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Community daycare center
After many years working in the corporate environment, I committed a year off to explore and give back in a way that allowed me to use my untapped talents and passions.
Volunteer March 2009 to September 2009
• Assisted all-Mexican staff with the care of infants, aged 4-12 months, of less fortunate working mothers in the San Miguel community.
PROJECTS ABROAD, Rabat, Morocco
International volunteer organization
Volunteer September 2008 to December 2008
• Taught English and French to children aged 8 to 16 and assisted with other needs at AMESIP (Association Marocaine d’aide aux Enfants en Situation Precaire), a center for the care, socialization and education of at-risk youth in impoverished areas. Assisted in the care of autistic children at Association Al Youssra, Salé, Morocco.
CHESKIN ADDED VALUE, Redwood Shores, California
Innovation consulting firm
Promoted through the company to increasingly senior positions and responsibilities during
a 13-year tenure, with exposure to virtually all areas of the organization.
Vice President, Marketing 2005-2008
• As a member of the executive leadership team, collaborated in the development of corporate growth strategies and initiatives, including the company’s acquisition in 2007 by Added Value, a WPP firm.
• Developed all brand, marketing and communications strategies and budgets; and led execution including website, media relations, speaker placement, events, integrated campaigns and advertising. In close collaboration with the company’s Business Development team, ensured that all efforts contributed to increased revenue growth.
• Ensured that client services and project management functions followed company vision and growth goals. Continued to lead account services from previous position.
• Acted as primary knowledge services liaison between new parent company and Cheskin, and oriented all employees in new global corporate intranets.
Vice President, Operations 2005
• Led the company’s reorganized Operations group in achieving its goals in synch with Business Development and CEO directives.
Vice President, Account Services and Knowledge Management 2003-2005
• Designed and managed the organizational structures that deliver research and consulting services to clients.
• Ensured that internal information systems, especially the company’s intranet, provided relevant and efficient access to digital resources and IP.
• Managed a budget of approximately $5 million and a staff of 45 including strategic directors, research managers, field managers and directors of capacity and project quality.
Director, Marketing/Vice President, Marketing (promoted to VP in 200*-****-****
• Developed and executed the company’s initial formalized marketing strategy in collaboration with the CEO.
• Managed corporate rebranding from Cheskin+Masten/ImageNet to Cheskin Rsearch.
• Led brand and marketing integration of the merger with Hispanic and Asian Marketing Communications Research.
Design and Communications Director, Cheskin + Masten/ImageNet
Design Manager, Cheskin + Masten/ImageNet
Senior Graphic Designer, Ampex Corporation
Senior Technical Illustrator, Amepx Corporation
BA, Graphic Design; BA, French - California State University Fullerton
Certificat d’Etudes – Université d’Aix-Marseille, Aix-en-Provence, France
• PC and Mac literate. MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver and numerous other design and editing programs
• Active member, AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Arts)
• Capable French speaker; familiarity with Spanish
• Passionate about experiencing other cultures and countries. Lover of good design, food, jazz, Argentine tango and sailing.
• Website - http://www.deniseklarquist.com
• LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/pub/0/5/8a7