MICHAEL SKIP CONWAY
Auburn, PA 17992
570-***-**** (H) email@example.com
Extensive plant operations experience in metal working operations, warehousing, P&L and TPS lean manufacturing techniques in both union and non-union environments. I am recognized for leading and developing quality-focused teams that thrive on meeting difficult challenges and delivering results that have a positive impact on the bottom line. I have a proven track record of improving profit margins, reducing inventory, improving customer service, product quality, safety and meeting and exceeding all KPIs.
PLANT MANAGER / MANUFACTURING / DISTRIBUTION
Plant Operations • Lean Manufacturing • Metal Working • Warehousing • TPS
KAYTEE PRODUCTS, Cressona, PA 12/2006-7/2009
Division of Central Garden and Pet, Inc. a national manufacturer of garden and pet products with revenues of $2B. The Cressona plant cleaned grains, processed grains, batched products, packaged food and shipped across country.
Full scope of plant responsibilities for $35M sales and 55,000 tons of wild bird food production. Operations included receiving raw materials, cleaning, processing, batching, high speed packaging and distributing product under the Kaytee and co packed brand names. Led a production staff of 50+.
• Developed operational and financial KPI’s for the Pa locations.
• Used TPS lean manufacturing techniques improved productivity by 15% and increased profit margin 30%.
• Maintained a 99.9% line item fill rate with a three-day lead-time.
• Rated the best SBU in inventory returns reducing inventory by 20% while output grew 50%.
• Developed and implemented a continuous improvement plans and GMPs focusing on lean manufacturing and total quality methods.
• No lost time due to accidents for over three years as a result of a focus on plant safety programs and working on improving OSHA compliance programs.
• Responsible for developing and implementing operating budgets and capital expenditure projects.
• Responsible for all regulatory compliance including food safety, environmental, customer quality requirements and OSHA compliance.
• Increased employee morale and job satisfaction through the use of empowerment and team building programs as measured by periodic employee surveys.
AGGRESSIVE GRINDING SERVICE, Youngstown, PA 9/ 2004-12/2005
An 80 man precision carbide and ceramic grinding operation which machines for the cutting tool, bit, drill, and auto parts manufacturers.
General Plant Manager
Full scope of responsibilities for day-to-day plant operations. Operations included Cutting, center less grinding, CNC OD and ID grinding, honing, surface grinding, threading, inspection and shipping. Duties included profit and loss OSHA compliance, sales, engineering, production, and all personnel issues.
• AGS experienced revenue and profit growth focusing on new customers and services.
• Created HR procedures, structure and job descriptions from scratch.
• Developed and implemented a departmental budgetary process.
FLEETWOOD FOLDING TRAILERS, Somerset, PA 10/1984-10/86 & 10/1989-9/2004
Division of Fleetwood Enterprises, Inc. #one manufacturer of RV’s and Manufactured Housing with revenues of $2B. Fleetwood Folding Trailers was # one volume manufacture of pop up camping trailer marked under the Coleman Brand. The Somerset operation was vertically integrated with metal stamping, forming, welding, painting, plastic forming, soft goods and wood working.
Master Production Scheduler and Distribution Manager, Promoted (1998-2004)
Master Production Scheduling of all products overall responsibility for all technical brochures and repair manuals, warehousing, corrugated packaging, final inspection, rework of customer returns and shipping.
• Managed a 6,000,000-mile trucking fleet.
• Reduced inventory 40% while improving line item fill rate to over 95%.
• Developed bar coding shipping system.
Production Superintendent, Temporary position (1997)
Duties included Management of the day-to-day production of the facility and the 600+ employees and production staff.
• Managed facility during new model start up and new product release including the development of a RIM plastic top department.
Environmental, Safety and Maintenance Manager, Promoted (1995-1996)
Duties included Safety and Environment reporting, investigation and compliance along with the overall maintenance and equipment installation of all facilities and equipment.
• All OSHA and DEP correspondence.
• Developed a preventive maintenance program throughout the facility.
Quality and Special Projects Manager, Promoted (1994-1995)
Duties included Implementation of the Crosby TQM System and the Lean Manufacturing effort.
• Implemented TPS Lean Manufacturing, which transformed the environment, reducing inventory, lead times form weeks to days and improving customer service reducing backorders 25%.
• Implemented Crosby TQM System, which led to our division winning the corporate customer service ranking five years in a row.
Industrial Engineering, (1984-1986) rehired (1989-1994)
Duties included Plant Layout, time study, line balancing, costing, ERP, and tent design.
• Worked with Sunbrella Corporation to develop a new tent material that was later sold nationally for awnings, outdoor furniture, and boat covers.
• Responsible for the cost reduction program which saved over $500,000 annually.
WESTMORELAND MECHANICAL TESTING & RESEARCH, Youngstown, PA 10/1986-10/1989
Westmoreland is a metal testing lab for the aeronautical, automotive and defense industries.
Materials Test Engineer,
Duties included mechanical and metallurgical testing and reporting to ASTM and Government Specifications.
HOCKENSMITH CORP., Penn, PA 6/1982-10/1984
Hockensmith was an ingot mold foundry for the steel industry. It is now closed.
Quality Control Engineer,
Duties included all Quality Control functions and reporting as well as fill in plant floor supervision.
EDUCATION / PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
BS, Industrial Engineering, Geneva College, Beaver Falls, PA 1982
Continuing education classes in:
● SAP ● Finance ● TQM
● MRP ● ERP ● 5 S
● SPC ● Preventive Maintenance ● Teambuilding
● OSHA Compliance ● Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) ● Labor Relations
● Lean ● Environmental Compliance ● Setup Reduction