Michael R. Pozesny, MEd, MSc, MSc
POST, MRT-SA/DV/Trauma/PTSD, CAMS
High-Energy and Multidisciplined Justice and Mental Health Practitioner Seeking Opportunity to Serve
CALIFORNIA SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY, IRVINE, CA current-2022 Doctorate in Psychology (PsyD)
PURDUE UNIVERSITY GLOBAL, LAFAYETTE, IN 09/2020
Master of Science in Psychology
CAPELLA UNIVERSITY, MINNEAPOLIS, MN 10/2015
Master of Science in Public Safety - Leadership
KAPLAN UNIVERSITY, FT. LAUDERDALE, FL 06/2015
Master of Science in Adult Education – Instructional Technology (MEIT) NOVA SOUTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY, FT. LAUDERDALE, FL 09/2004 Master of Science in Criminal Justice
Graduate Certificate in Substance Abuse
INDIANA UNIVERSITY, BLOOMINGTON, IN 07/1996
Bachelor of Science in Social and Behavioral Sciences MENTAL HEALTH EXPERIENCE:
Pearl of the Sea Retreat, St. Augustine, FL 08/2019-11/2019 Director of Operations (contract consulting)
• Hired as 1099 to manage operations of start-up Detox facility with residential treatment branch.
• Facilitated writing of Clinical, Emergency Mgmt., Human Resources, Infection Control, IT Mgmt., Admin and Leadership, Med Mgmt., Performance Improvement, Financial, Compliance, Nursing, Environment of Care, Maintenance, and other manuals.
• Managed preliminary budget reconciliations, P&L, and other financial spreadsheets.
• Assisted with DCF and Joint Commission accreditation. Addictions Treatment Advocates, Debary, FL 02/2019 – 08/2019 Clinical Supervisor
• Designed addictions program using Moral Reconation Therapy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
• Counselor for Domestic Violence, Anger Management, Substance Use Disorder, and individual needs.
• Set up preliminary Drug Court program.
ACE-DVIP, New Smyrna Beach, FL 08/2017 – 10/2018
Batterer Intervention Program Counselor
• Served as a Domestic Violence specialist and co-facilitated Batterers Intervention Program (BIP) counseling using Duluth Model and Anger Management counseling methods for Volusia county Georgia Lifeworks, Jonesboro, GA 06/2008 - 06/2010 Counselor and Owner
• Collaborated with judges and community advocates in the community to assess needs and developed strategies to support substance abuse reduction, counseling, and recovery efforts.
• Provided Domestic Violence counseling to abusers, assistance to DV survivors, and improved community awareness of DV through the State Court.
• Helped design, build, and manage a 24-bed re-entry recovery residence based on Moral Reconation Therapy and sound recovery socio-environmental requirements for eventual CARF accreditation.
• Managed public safety support, planning, budgeting, goal-setting, and expansion planning for a full service counseling business. Responsible for case management, advisement, operations and P&L. 2
• Performed Biopsychosocial Assessments and Counseling for: Alcohol & Drug, Anger Management, Domestic Violence, and Theft for Superior and State Courts. Utilized court's expected outcomes to design a Theft Counseling program that led to a 93% program success rate with felony pre-trial defendants. Focused most work on younger offenders. JUSTICE EXPERIENCE:
U.S. Department of Justice (PT – Contract)
• Grant reviewer for federal grant applicants – Juvenile Justice specialization. 06/2019 – Present The Misdemeanor Probation Resource Center (CSRA Probation), Deltona GA 11/2016 - Present Training Coordinator
• Perform Needs Analysis and training coordination for 125+ community corrections staff.
• Write, create, and administer complete online training solutions for probation personnel.
• Creator of the “Probation Addictions Specialist” (PAS) program to train POs to better supervise substance-involved defendants.
State of Florida, Tomoka Correctional Institution, Daytona Beach, FL Education Supervisor 02/2018 – 02/2019
• Managed Education Department at major state prison of 1,200 inmates.
• Certified Pearson Vue Test Administrator for the GED.
• Added Stetson University college credit program.
• Increased GED completion rates to 215% over prior year through improved teaching techniques.
• Managed and upgraded vocational programs in Masonry and Construction Technology. Sentinel Offender Services, Duluth, GA 02/1999 - 10/2008 State Probation Training Director/Quality Assurance Director/Regional Director
• Managed probation office for 3,400 defendants; ensured compliance with court orders and county requirements, ensured optimum case management, maintained Human Resource system, complete budget and P&L responsibility.
• Managed all training for up to 24 private probation offices statewide. Applied data collection and analysis from internal audits to recommend training design, development, evaluation, and re- evaluation. Checked work design against employee needs assessments and developed instructional materials to meet needs while improving productivity.
• Created, implemented, and delivered courses in Substance Abuse, Mental Health, Domestic Violence, Anger Management, Street Drug Gangs, Courtroom Procedures, Psychopharmacology of Illicit Drugs, managed the “Basic Probation Officer Training” (BPOT) program for all new staff and certified all staff in substance abuse detection, procedures, and testing. Selected instructional techniques based on subject matter, student profiles, and expected outcomes.
• Taught staff program planning and case management techniques while supporting probated population with resources in the area of life skills enhancement.
• Served as Subject Matter Expert and State Substance Abuse Director, coordinating Drug Free Workplace program and over 25,000 offender drug screens annually inclusive of supplies, logistics, and A/P. Determined drug testing equipment and performed quality assurance operations testing.
• Designed and utilized instructional interventions to guided Drug court outcomes and participated in the National Assn. of Drug Court Professionals while certified as the Southeast United States Regional Trainer (R-CPCT) for the national Drug and Alcohol Testing Industry Association.
• Designed, implemented, and directed a statewide Criminal Justice Quality Control System measured through a Quality Assurance Team. Designed the database and reports for performance audits for over 100 courts and as a result, implemented, disseminated, and evaluated non-instructional interventions to increase statewide probation productivity and operations quality. State of Georgia, Atlanta, GA 02/1992 - 02/1999
CO and Statewide Public Safety Law Enforcement Trainer
• POST–certified Law Enforcement Instructor with Specialized Instructor Certification in Emergency Medicine, Defensive Tactics, Hazardous Materials, Fire Safety, Firearms, Tactical Munitions, and more.
• Certified as a Mental Health Officer and Special Management Unit Officer by State DOC. Worked Level 3 & Level 4 Mental Health for roughly 2 years in a Close/Max security institution.
• Communicated effectively in visual, oral, and written form while developing and/or delivering instruction in 62 law enforcement, corrections, probation, and parole courses as a General Public 3
Safety Training Instructor (PSTI-II) with over five years’ experience training police, sheriff, correctional, and jailer staff statewide.
• Performed surveillance, research, and investigatory services on street drug gangs and domestic terrorist organizations in Georgia to improve knowledge, skills, and attitudes pertaining to law enforcement staff in multiple jurisdictions statewide.
• Helped track drug distribution networks and taught various agencies about gang and drug sales.
• Oversaw development team for Emergency Management Training program for over fifteen thousand state employees in sixty locations. Identified and responded to ethical, legal, and political implications of specialized design involving multiple agency emergency environments.
• Completed Hostage Negotiation School and various other trainings for position as Security Chief during 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games. Worked as a member of the State Olympic Law Enforcement Command and coordinated antiterrorist planning strategies in conjunction with state and federal agencies. Taught Incident Command Systems and NIMS to public safety personnel.
• Delivered and coordinated training with local and state emergency management agencies and conducted simulation exercises with audiences sometimes in excess of 250. Utilized as State Liaison with state of Ohio in collaborating with their officials on their emergency management training system. Utilized emerging technologies to create desired emergency management outcomes.
• Designed and implemented Hazard Control Plan and support system for 450 correctional employees at a close security state prison with close/maximum-security mental health facilities. Academic TEACHING EXPERIENCE:
Purdue University Global
PT Adjunct Professor (online) – taught 53 college courses to date. 03/2010 – Present
• Courses Taught: Family and Domestic Violence, Crisis Intervention, Drugs and Alcohol in the Criminal Justice System
Ashford University 02/2011 – 04/2018
PT Associate Professor (online) – taught 87 college courses.
• Courses Taught: Intro. To Criminal Justice, Investigations Management, Crime & Society, Social Justice & Ethics, Homeland Security Organization, Consequence Management: Terrorism Preparation & Response, Security Administration, Juvenile Justice and others. Devry University 10/2009 – 04/2018
PT Visiting Professor (online) – taught 65 college courses.
• Courses Taught: Theory and Practice of Corrections, Deviant Behavior, Intro. To Criminal Justice, Research Methods in Criminal Justice, Correctional Counseling, Emergency Management, Emergency Planning, Crime Scene Investigation, and others.
American Intercontinental University 01/2004 - 12/2006 PT Adjunct Professor (onsite) – taught 9 college courses.
• Courses Taught: Advanced Studies of Law Enforcement, Correctional Systems, Criminal Law, Criminology, Drugs and Crime, Introduction to Criminal Justice, Substance Abuse and Crime in America, and Victimology.
COURSE DEVELOPMENT (SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT):
• Family and Domestic Violence – Purdue University Global 05/2019
• Theory and Practice of Corrections – DeVry University 09/2012
• Correctional Counseling – DeVry University 07/2012
• Research Methods in Criminal Justice – DeVry University 03/2011
• Emergency Planning – DeVry University 11/2010
• Emergency Management – DeVry University 09/2010
• Criminal Investigations - DeVry University 07/2010 PRESENTATIONS:
• History of Probation, Officer Wellness, Ethics. Georgia Department of Community Supervision.
• Officer Wellness Programming. Alabama Jail Association.
• Health Hazards Associated with Clandestine Laboratories. Georgia Bureau of Investigation. 4
• State Protocols for Local Management of Drug Endangered Children. Tift County Medical Center.
• The Psychopharmacology of Illegal Drugs. Georgia Private Probation Association.
• Deciphering Encrypted Gang Writing. National Institute of Justice PROFESSIONAL RECOGNITION:
• American Police Hall of Fame - Awarded Honor Medal for Public Service (Illegal Drug Reduction)
• Mayor's Awards - Volunteer firefighting (Pasco County, FL)
• County Commission - Hurricane rescues (Pasco County, FL)
• Task Force On Child Abuse Chairman – (Pasco and Hernando counties, FL) PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS:
• American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress
• International Association of Applied Psychology
• Mental Health Association of East Central Florida
• Anxiety and Depression Association of America
• International Association for Correctional and Forensic Psychology
• International Board of Standards for Training, Performance, and Instruction RESEARCH EXPERIENCE:
• Current research – Establishing a National Standard for Forensic Substance Abuse Screening
• Pozesny, M. (2004). A Quantitative Substance Abuse Analysis of Clayton County State Court Defendant Drug Use. Clayton County, Georgia.
PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT & COMMUNITY SERVICE:
• Substance Abuse Specialist's Training Manual - used by counseling offices for certifying staff performing drug screening onsite.
• Safety Manual for Residential Living Facilities - used by residential staff for performing safety inspections of facilities to reduce the potential for injury to clients or staff. PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCASTS and YOUTUBE VIDEOS:
Adult Perpetrators of Abuse
Basic Crisis Intervention Skills
Corrections Counseling – Assessment & Treatment of Juvenile Offenders Corrections Counseling – Overview and Interview with an Ex-Offender Corrections Counseling – Executive Functioning in the Brain Counseling via Telephone and Online
Court Responses to Domestic Violence
Crisis Cases & the Crisis Intervention Team
Crisis Intervention - Disasters and Emergencies
Crisis Intervention - Our Schools
Crisis Intervention - Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Crisis Intervention - Domestic Violence Cases
Crisis Intervention – Hostage Negotiation
Domestic & Organized Crime – Prison Intelligence Gathering Domestic Violence
Domestic Violence - Abuser Counseling
Domestic Violence - Batterer Profiles
Domestic Violence - Response by Police
Domestic Violence - Elder Abuse
Fraternities & Gangs
Global Aspects of Domestic Violence
Homeland Security – Intelligence and Citizen Protection Guidelines Homeland Security – Family, Community, and Public Awareness 5
Homeland Security – The Mind of a Terrorist
Introduction to Crisis Intervention
Juvenile Justice – Theories of Delinquency
Juvenile Justice – Crime Across the Life Course
Juvenile Justice – Introduction to the History of Juvenile Justice Juvenile Justice – Juveniles and Law Enforcement
Juvenile Justice – Juveniles and the Court System
Juvenile Justice – Juveniles and the Community Corrections System Juvenile Justice – Residential and Institutional Treatment Juvenile Justice – Managing Difficult Populations
Juvenile Justice – Prevention and Treatment
Layered Voice Technology in Prisons
Live Interview with a Female Ex-Con
Mental Health & Substance Abuse
Multiculturalism in Crisis Intervention
Research Methods in Criminal Justice – Theory and Philosophy Research Methods in Criminal Justice – The Nature of Qualitative Research Strategies for Sexual Assaults
Street & Prison Gangs
The Crisis of Suicide and Homicide
The History of Violence Within Families
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, REGISTRATIONS EARNED:
Certified Domestic Violence Rick (DV-R) Assessor Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing Certified in Domestic Violence
Certified Facilitator – Veteran’s PTSD Counseling
American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress
Correctional Counseling Inc.
Certified Facilitator – Trauma Counseling Correctional Counseling Inc. Certified Facilitator – Domestic Violence Correctional Counseling Inc. Certified Rescue Specialist State of Georgia Emergency Management Agency Refuse to Be a Victim Instructor National Rifle Association Certified Facilitator – Prime for Life Prime for Life Certified Facilitator – Moral Reconation Therapy Correctional Counseling Inc. Certified Professional Collector Trainer Drug and Alcohol Testing Industry Assn. Certified Instructor - Drug Endangered Children Georgia Alliance for Drug Endangered Children Certified First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor Trainer American Red Cross Certified Identi-Kit Instructor Identi-Kit Solutions, Smith & Wesson Certified Anger Management Specialist High Impact Training & Counseling Licensed Concealed Weapon Permit Ga. Board of Private Detective and Sec. Agencies Registered Security Company Owner State of Georgia Licensed Private Detective Ga. Board of Private Detective and Sec. Agencies Rapid Drug Screen Tester American BioMedica Corporation RapidTec Drug Tester American BioMedica Corporation Drug Abuse Recognition Technician MedTox, Inc.
Electronic Monitoring Instructor Sentinel Offender Services, LLC Certified Defensive Driving Instructor National Safety Council PharmChem Instructor PharmChem, Inc.
Certified Poison Instructor Georgia Poison Center
MedTox Drug Screen Tester Instructor MedTox, Inc.
Roche/Varian Drug Screen Instructor Varian, Inc.
SECON Drug Screen Instructor SECON NE
Certified Fire Safety Instructor Peace Officer Standards and Training Certified Defensive Tactics Instructor Peace Officer Standards and Training Certified Emergency Medical Instructor Peace Officer Standards and Training Certified Firearms Instructor Peace Officer Standards and Training 6
Certified Hazardous Materials Instructor Peace Officer Standards and Training Certified Incident Commander State of Ohio - Corrections Certified Tactical Munitions Instructor Georgia Department of Corrections Certified Public Fire Safety Education Instructor Georgia Public Safety Training Center Certified Spontaneous Knife Defense Instructor PPCT Management Systems, Inc. Certified Pressure Point Control Tactics Inst. PPCT Management Systems, Inc. Certified Law Enforcement Instructor Peace Officer Standards and Training Note: All references, certificates, and other proofs available upon request.