LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/shubham-kalode-a3180711a SUMMARY
• 2+ year experience in using Computational Fluid Dynamic (CFD) tool-STAR CCM+, Converge CFD & ANSYS Fluent.
• Worked as a CFD engineer with hands on experience on Surface Wrap and Volume Meshing (Polyhedral Mesher, Trimmer, Thin Mesher and Tetrahedral Mesher) for extraction of fluid volume to facilitate in-depth analysis.
• Conducted thorough CFD analysis on numerous projects using STAR CCM+ and ANSYS Fluent.
• Worked as a CFD Intern with CFD tool-Converge CFD to perform engine and general flow simulations.
• Led the Steering Department for SAEINDIA SUPRA 2016 (similar to FSAE).
• At present, an AERO team member at Wayne state university FSAE, Warrior Racing Team.
• Currently majoring in Mechanical Engineering as a Full-time Graduate Student at Wayne State and completed coursework including Fluid mechanics, compressible flows and Computational Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer. TECHNICAL PROFICIE
• CFD Pre-processor: STAR CCM+ • CFD Pre-processor: Converge CFD • ANSYS Fluent • CATIA V5
• CFD Solver: STAR CCM+ • CFD Solver: Converge CFD • SolidWorks • Microsoft Office
• CFD Post-processor: STAR CCM+ • CFD Post-processor: Visit and TechPlot • MATLAB • AutoCAD EDUCATION
Master of Science Mechanical Engineering Wayne State University GPA 3.33 May 2020 Bachelor of Engineering Mechanical Engineering PVPIT, Savitribai Phule Pune University GPA 3.5 June 2017 WORK EXPERIENCE
ISUZU Technical Center of America CFD Intern Plymouth, Michigan, USA May 2019-Present Working as a CFD Intern, performed CFD simulations using CFD tool CONVERGE CFD. Built CFD models to help Model based development (MBD) from CFD side to eliminate or reduce experimental and modification cost as well as to eliminate time consumed by experiments. Used Post-processing tools like Visit and TechPlot for result analysis.
• Cold flow analysis of single cylinder
Performed single cylinder engine cold flow simulation to predict the results and to verify the physics happening inside the engine cylinder. Assigned the valve opening and closing timing based on the crank angle same as the experimental cases. Results from simulation were matched with the test data. These simulations were done to predict the accuracy of the model set up which further used for setting up model for multi-cylinder engines.
• Cold flow analysis of multi-cylinder engine
Carried out simulations for multi cylinder engine cold flow analysis for different operating points to match the test data. The single cylinder model set up helped setting up model for multi-cylinder engines. Valve opening and closing timing were assigned for various operating points. CONVERGE CFD feature such as Automatic mesh refinement (AMR) was used to capture the in-cylinder physics.
• EGR valve Coefficient of Discharge
Found CD for EGR valve with different valve openings and EGR temperatures by performing CFD simulations. Test data was available in the form of mass flow rate and time varying pressure.
• Tabulated chemistry for diesel combustion simulation Currently working on tabulated chemistry for Diesel combustion simulations using CONVERGE CFD.
Optimizt Technologies India Pvt. Ltd, India CFD Analyst January 2018 – July 2018 In the capacity of CFD analyst, undergone extensive training and fulfilled the criteria required for the CFD simulation, carried out exhaustive CFD simulation, learned technical know-how of various CFD aspects such as how to interpret results of the simulation (Post Processing) & make use in practical world for better outcomes. Learned ANSYS Fluent and got to know the usefulness of different SCHEMES in the tool. Performed simulations using various turbulence models and accomplished myself with how each turbulence model works. The experience helped me in knowing the workflows behind the CFD tools.
• Skilled and time efficient in Surface Wrapping and Geometry Cleanups.
• Used Remesher to completely get rid of the unwanted errors and geometry errors.
• Performed Volume Meshing to extract the fluid volume for CFD simulation.
• Interpreted simulation results using Post Processing Tools in STAR CCM+.
• Made full use of Extruder whenever needed resulting in substantial time savings & man hours in CFD simulation.
• Exhaust Flow Uniformity in Automobile Catalytic Converter The effect of the Inlet diffuser and difference in Calming length on the flow field at the entrance of Catalytic Converter was analyzed in STAR CCM+ and ANSYS Fluent to compare the results. The increased diverging angle resulted adverse flow uniformity index at the outer array of reduction tubes. The flow characteristics across various section of the catalytic convertor were visualized to identify potential stagnation zones. The flow loss in terms of pressure drop across the catalytic converter was compared against each geometrical configuration.
• Flow and Thermal profile investigation on Automobile Intercooler High-pressure, high temperature air flow from the turbo-charger outlet through the Intercooler was analyzed in STAR CCM+. The flow losses in the intercooler components – Inlet pipe, inlet tank, tubes, outlet tank and the outlet pipe were predicted to identify the potential flow path optimization. The pressure losses / unit temperature drop across the intercooler was defined as the performance index. Also, mass flow distribution across the intercooler was predicted to highlight the thermal characteristics. Geometrical modifications based on these were suggested for the improved performance of the intercooler.
• Validation for External flow over Ahmed Body
For various velocities, computation of Drag and Lift was done using STAR CCM+. The effect of increase in velocity on drag and lift was studied. As the velocity increases, drag reduces and after a particular velocity range, the drag remains constant though there is increase in velocity further. Content for study, comparison and validation including drag coefficient generated was prepared with the help of graphs.
• Platooning-The effect of vehicle spacing on the Aerodynamic of representative car shape Analyzed and calculated the Drag effect variation on truck behind another truck. Studied how the spacing between trucks can affect the drag effect on Truck behind. Observed that the Drag is greater if the spacing is very less and after a specific range of spacing between the trucks, there is reduction in drag for the truck behind. The use of platooning can help in reduction in fuel consumption and travelling time.
• Flow mixing in an elbow pipe
Simulation for the elbow pipe was performed using ANSYS Fluent tool and for various hot water jet diameter the results were analyzed to get the desired mixing of the flow.
Shamraj Enercon Technologies, India Project Intern August 2016 – May 2017 Design, development and manufacturing of Automated valve condenser
• Assisted the staffs to design, develop and manufacture an Automated valve Multijet condenser.
• Conducted the research and performed calculations required for developing the condenser.
• Designed a methodology on how to make efficient & optimal use of water for condensation. Thus, saved water pumping cost and ultimately saved good amount of electricity which was then used to sell to other firms resulting into huge return on investments & profits to organization.
• Butterfly valve was used which works on the signal given by sensors such as Thermostats.
• Prepared CAD models using tools like SolidWorks and performed CFD analysis using STAR CCM+.
Wayne State FSAE Warrior Racing November 2018- May 2019
• AERO team member
• Performed flow analysis of air over the front wing of the F1 car and calculated the drag and lift.
• Design modifications were suggested after performing analysis on STAR CCM+ and design targets were achieved. SAEINDIA SUPRA 2016, India Captain- Steering Department August 2015 – July 2016
• Led the Steering Department of the college FSAE team in SAEINDIA SUPRA 2016 competition.
• Responsible for coordinating all design, manufacturing and business activities for a 25-member team which designed and manufactured a Formula -1 styled racecar.
• Prepared & simulate CAD models of the steering such as Tie rods, steering arm, rack and pinion, rack and pinion casing using tools like CATIA V5 & SolidWorks.
• Hold a publication credit on my name with a Research paper on “The steering system” of our car which was published in renowned research journal IJIRT.