DR. SHAIK MOHAMMED USMAN
MBBS, MD, CIC, FIID*
Skype ID: shaik usman
https://www.linkedin.com/in/dr-shaik-usman-12999858/ DATAFLOW PSV verified (ID: SCFHS201911652298656)
Looking for an opportunity to work in an organization that offers a challenging & innovative environment to utilize my professional and leadership skills. PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
Course Institution University/Board
Fellowship – Infectious diseases*
University of New South
(Board Certification in Infection
Prevention & Control)
Board Certified Infection Control Physician & an Infectious Diseases practitioner. Have an extensive background of working as a Consultant & leading multidisciplinary teams in Hosp Infection Control, Antibiotic Stewardship, advanced clinical diagnostics, diverse clinical domains including the Cardiac & Oncology group
& challenging infectious diseases / infection prevention environments, with an adequate active experience in accredited organizations (JCI, ISO, CAP, NABH, NABL) & several research publications in indexed & peer reviewed Journals. Also having an expertise in Strategic Planning, Team management, Performance improvement & implementation of measures for acquisition or maintenance of Accreditation (JCI, CAP, ISO).
MD – MEDICAL
Infectious diseases, Infection
Control, Bacteriology, Serology,
(Accredited by Medical council of
Of Health Sciences
Govt. Medical College
(Accredited by Medical council of
Of Health Sciences
MEDICAL COUNCIL (KMC-INDIA) REGISTRATION NO.- 79700 EXPERIENCE IN ACCREDITEDINSTITUTIONS
CONSULTANT INFECTION CONTROL (INFECTIOUS DISEASES) & MICROBIOLOGIST – CYTECARE CANCER HOSPITALS (NABH Accredited & NABL Accredited), BANGALORE (Apr 2017-TILL DATE)
Super specialty Cancer care set up
CONSULTANT INFECTION CONTROL & MICROBIOLOGIST– METROPOLIS HEALTHCARE (NABL Accredited), MS RAMAIAH MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (NABH Accredited), BANGALORE (Feb 2015-Mar 2017), Attending Consultant (Jun 2018-Apr 2019) Also took care of Infectious diseases in this 1600 bedded hospital with 95 ICU beds. CHAIRMAN-HOSPITAL INFECTION CONTROL & CONSULTANT MICROBIOLOGIST NARAYANA HEALTH (JCI Accredited), BANGALORE (Mar 2014-Feb 2015) 1000 bed heart hospital with 16 cardiac OTs, 6 digital cath labs, state of the art CCU,80 bed PITU INFECTION CONTROL OFFICER & CLINICAL MICROBIOLOGIST ( ASSISTANT PROFESSOR) &: KANNUR MEDICAL COLLEGE & SUPERSPECIALITY HOSPITAL (Accredited by Medical council of India), KANNUR (Jun 2013- Mar 2014) 700 bed quaternary care teaching organization & research centre TUTOR - CLINICAL MICROBIOLOGY (MD): KEMPEGOWDA INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES-HOSPITAL & RESEARCH CENTRE (Accredited by Medical council of India), BANGALORE (Jun 2010 – May 2013)810 bed quaternary care teaching organization & research centre RESIDENT - INFECTION CONTROL / CLINICAL MICROBIOLOGY: KEMPEGOWDA INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES-HOSPITAL & RESEARCH CENTRE (Accredited by Medical council of India), BANGALORE (2008-2010)810 bed quaternary care teaching organization & research centre
DISCIPLINES MANAGED - INFECTIOUS DISEASES, HOSPITAL INFECTION CONTROL, CLINICAL MICROBIOLOGY (Bacteriology, Serology, Immunology, Mycology, Virology, Parasitology) As an Infectious disease & Infection control Consultant
: Clinical rounds in the hospital on a daily basis in all patient care areas, interacting with the clinicians assisting in the Diagnosis & discussion regarding the significant and critical test findings, providing them appropriate suggestions to assist in improved management of the infectious diseases. Clinical rounds in the ICUs
(Medical/Surgical/Cardiac/Paediatric/Neonatal), other High risk areas like BMT, Burns Unit, Chemotherapy Unit, Dialysis area & interaction with the clinical teams to assist in diagnosis &treatment of the infectious diseases.
• Co-ordinate with clinical & non-clinical departments regarding infection control matters & providing strategic guidance.
• Ensuring Completeness of documentation (Manuals & Policies, Registers, Audit formats related to various basic practices – Hand Hygiene, BWM, Other basic practices, Care Bundles, Surveillance protocols). Review and update hospital infection control policies and procedures on a regular basis.
Discussion with clinicians who have requested the tests regarding empirical antibiotic therapy based on Preliminary Identification & Definitive Antibiotic therapy/combinations after obtaining the susceptibility report
Coordinating with the Clinical Consultants who have requested for tests for the appropriate & specific tests to be done for different infectious diseases.
• Presiding in regular Infection control committee meetings & reviewing Quality Indicators.. Formulating infection control policies for the hospital and implementing guidelines. Ensuring the compliance.
• Supervise prospective/retrospective surveillance of Hospital acquired infections, Environmental threats in High risk areas, Device associated infections: VAP, CLABSI, CAUTI, SSI (With monitoring of Checklists devised as Prevention Bundle Tools). Reporting environmental surveillance data from CSSD, Operation theatre, ICU, Endoscopy unit, Dialysis unit etc.
• Active education, training and supervision of members of the health care team on aspects related to infection control. Conducting regular Induction & Inservice activities. Educating and motivating Staff for good HIC practices through regular seminars, group discussion sessions.
• Taking into account (maintaining database for) all the relevant positive cultures for-
- Retrospective evaluation of HCAIs & generating monthly data
- Intimation of all the notifiable infectious diseases to MRD
- Instructing HCWs to exercise different precautions Job Responsibilities
• Maintaining an Antibiotic report database of all positive cultures- area wise & specimen wise to devise a policy, guiding judicious use of antimicrobials. Promoting Antibiotic Stewardship. Auditing basic practices & Antibiotic prescribing practices to identify the deficiencies & devise appropriate corrective & preventive action.
• Supervise Regular audits pertaining to Hand Hygiene, Bio-Medical Waste, Linen Management, Kitchen & Pantry area etc..
• Liaising with other health care workers in various departments to help prevent hospital acquired infections.
• Review and update hospital infection control policies and procedures on a regular basis. Formulating and implementing the Antibiotic policy in the hospital, guiding the physicians and the surgeons towards minimal and rational usage of the antibiotics and thereby preventing the drug resistance. Promoting Antibiotic stewardship.
• Supervising the Vaccination program & other pre-employment activities, Vaccination & De- worming program in food handlers.
• Management of Occupational exposures - Devise the Post-exposure prophylaxis for an exposed HCW as per the exposure (Needle stick injury & other occupational exposure), significance of injury & immunity of the individual.
• Instruct the HCWs with regard to appropriate Isolation Precautions (Airborne, Droplet & Contact) to be exercised when significant diseases are encountered.
• Investigation & Management of the outbreaks
• I n t i mation o f N o t i f i a b l e d i s e a s e / s t o a p p r o p r i a t e g o v e r n m e n t a u t h o r i t i e s
• Attending to client (patients & attenders)/ Staff queries & complaints pertaining to infectious diseases & their prevention/control.
• Out of hours on- call service with regard to various queries by the HCWs & patients.
• Planning & implementation of appropriate measures for the acquisition / maintenance of accreditation of the hospital with national or international bodies (ISO, JCI etc).
• Participating in Educational (CME/Conferences) & Promotional activities for Infection prevention & control.
• Active member of various relevant committees of hospital governing council like Quality Review Committee, Safety Committee, OT Committee, Antibiotic Committee etc RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS (Indexed, Peer Reviewed, International) 1. Clinical and Microbiological facets of Ventilator Associated Pneumonia in the main stream with a practical contact. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences 2013; 2(44):8468-74
2. Human Immunodefeciency Virus associated Cryptococcal Meningitis at a tertiary care centre: Diagnostic tools and Antifungal susceptibility testing. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2013;7(8):1623-5. 3. Pyogenic Liver Abscess: fresh look at its continuing changing patterns. International journal of medical and applied sciences 2013;2(4):271-8. 4. Nosocomial Pneumonia in mechanically ventilated – A multivariate analysis. International journal of current research and review 2014;6(2) 5. An insight into contemporary trend in the antibiogram of Salmonella enterica serovars: a clamor for antibiotic recycling. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences 2013; 2(44):8468-74.
6. A study to determine significant titre-values of Widal Test in the diagnosis of Enteric Fever for a population of North Kerala, India. Al Ameen Journal of Medical Sciences 2014;7(1):72-77
7. Multidrug Resistant Escherichia coli in Nosocomial Urinary Tract Infections at a Tertiary Care Hospital in Kerala, India. The Open Infectious Diseases Journal, 2015;9:30-34
CBIC- Board Certification for Infection Prevention & Control(CIC) ID: 122308 Certificate of ISO-15189- NABL(National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories), IA (Internal Audit) and QMS (Quality management system) –training Programme
Certificate course in HEALTH CARE QUALITY MANAGEMENT by APOLLO HOSPITALS, Chennai
Certificate course in HOSPITAL INFECTION PREVENTION &CONTROL for health care professionals by CARE HOSPITALS, Hyderabad (In association with Indian Medical Association)
EXTRA - CURRICULAR CERTIFICATIONS: (Training / Conferences / CMEs / Workshops)
Certificate course in INFECTION CONTROL for health care professionals by APOLLO HOSPITALS, Hyderabad
Certificate of TRAINING IN NEUROVIROLOGY, NIMHANS, BANGALORE. Certificate for attending 36
National conference of INDIAN ASSOCIATION OF
MEDICAL MICROBIOLOGISTS, MICROCON-2012, LHMC- New Delhi & POSTER PRESENTATION on VENTILLATOR ASSOCIATED PNEUMONIA.
INDIAN ASSOCIATION OF MEDICAL MICROBIOLOGISTS, MICROCON-2018, NIMHANS, Bangalore
Certificate for attending INDIAN ASSOCIATION OF MEDICAL MICROBIOLOGISTS- State Chapter at ESIC-2012, Bangalore & ORAL On HIV-ASSOCIATED CRYPTOCOCCAL MENINGITIS.
Certificate for attending WORKSHOP - Newer diagnostic methods for detection of MDR-TB at MICROCON-2012, New Delhi.
Certificate for attending CIDSCON 2019 – 9
Annual Conference of Clinical infectious
• Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC)
• CAHO: Consortium of Accredited Healthcare Organisations in India
• Board of Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc. (CBIC)
• Indian Association of Medical Microbiologists (IAMM)
• Karnataka Medical Council
Dr Dinesh Raju, Senior Consultant –Anesthesia & Incharge- ICUs- Cytecare Cancer Hospital, Bangalore, Ph: +919*********
Dr. Irshad, Consultant Anesthesia & Adult ICU- MS Ramaiah Memorial Hospital. Bangalore. Ph:+919*********
Dr. Prakash Vyamgal, Clinical Director & HOD- Neonatology & Paediatrics, Rainbow Hospitals, Bangalore. Ph: +919*********
Languages Known: English, Hindi, Urdu, Kannada, Telugu. Interests: Gadgets, Softwares, Reading,
Date of Birth: 30-03-1985.
Physical built: Normal
Residential Address: #15, 28
main, BTM 2
Certificate for attending CMEs & WORKSHOPS related to - Hospital Infection Control & Advanced Diagnostic techniques
DR SHAIK MOHAMMED USMAN
MBBS, MD, CIC, FIID*
Having a good Computer Proficiency:
OS : WINDOWS, LINUX, MAC, ANDROID.
Applications : MS OFFICE- WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT, PAINT, etc. ADOBE READER & EDITOR etc