BRUCE H. KAPLAN, ESQ.
New York, NY • Melville, NY• 212-***-****
firstname.lastname@example.org • LinkedIn.com/in/bruce-kaplan-esq-915a91b/ OBJECTIVE:
To utilize my substantial legal and real estate experience, plus my relationship management, financial analysis, and deal-making skills to help an organization achieve its legal and real estate objectives. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:
• An Ivy League-educated real estate entrepreneur and attorney with a Master’s Degree in Real Estate Development & Investment. Deeply knowledgeable in capital raising, budgeting, cost control, construction and financial analysis.
• Proverbial "go to" professional who conceives creative yet practical solutions that overcome obstacles to success.
• A skilled negotiator and deal-maker who has closed millions of dollars of real estate transactions.
• A detail- and logistics-oriented thinker who develops efficient methods to support difficult, long-term projects.
• Skilled in directing multi-million dollar projects to conclusion through detailed planning, effective execution and comprehensive task/logistics analysis. Implement action with precision and confidence.
• Highly effective in dealing with government regulators and in removing problems that impact projects. PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
Real Estate Developer/Investor, 2005 - present
Active part-time investor in commercial and residential real estate ventures. Projects range from condominiums and apartment buildings to offices and retail space.
Adjunct Professor of Business Law, Florida Atlantic University & Lynn University, Boca Raton, FL, 2017 Taught undergraduates majoring in Accounting and/or Business. Planned and conducted live lectures five times a week. Reviewed and analyzed informational materials to determine most timely and pertinent topics to be included in lectures. Principal, Law Offices of Bruce H. Kaplan, Esq., New York and Florida, 1990 - 1997; 2003 - present Of Counsel, Goldstein Hall PLLC, New York, NY, 2009 - 2011 Founded a law practice covering real estate development, commercial litigation and bankruptcy. Concurrently served as Of Counsel to another law firm, handling its complex real estate and financing transactions. Responsible for all aspects of the business, from marketing to operations and financial administration. Lead negotiations on complex financial deals. Negotiate and draft financial agreements. Represent debtors/creditors in corporate Chapter 11 bankruptcies.
• Secured 7-figure settlement as Counsel on complex federal litigation alleging lender liability involving a $35 million, 164-unit, tax-exempt private activity bond transaction which also utilized 4% Low Income Housing Tax Credits for residential real estate project. Deciphered extreme complexity of project’s multi-layered financing to achieve positive outcome.
• Structured transfer of development rights for construction of 105,000 sf housing development situated above a separately-owned facility. Negotiated transfer of bonus zoning floor area in return for construction and maintenance of housing units. Administered NYC 421-a partial tax exemption applications. Collaborated with developers and architects on design so as to maximize available tax incentives.
• Brought in a 50%, six-figure reduction of mortgage principal with a 40-year amortization schedule at 2% interest in negotiations with J.P. Morgan Chase.
• Litigated novel bankruptcy case which ended up as precedent-setting, published decision.
• Represented special needs nonprofit school in multi-million dollar bond closing with NYS Dormitory Authority. Principal, BK Development Group, LLC, New York, NY, 2003 - 2010 Developer of a 17,500-sf condominium project in Manhattan. Oversaw acquisition, development and financing. Created financial models, including budget, income analysis, before/after tax cash flows, depreciation/amortization and ROI.
• Negotiated joint venture with general contractor.
• Saved hundreds of thousands of dollars through skillful, vigorous negotiation to obtain interim and permanent financing.
• Successfully negotiated with regulators to add 1 floor and $1 million + in revenue to project. ii
Bruce H. Kaplan -2-212-***-****
Senior Counsel, CEDC, Incorporated, Hempstead, New York, 2000 - 2002 Reported to the CEO of this non-profit community housing organization with a multi-million dollar budget. Supervised staff.
• Extinguished $10 million liability under U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Section 108 Loan Guarantee Program in confirmed Chapter 11 bankruptcy case.
• Saved $5 million headquarters building by means of a creative bankruptcy proceeding. Saving of headquarters allowed social empowerment programs, including Head Start, to continue. Of Counsel, Hamburger, Maxson & Yaffee, LLP, Melville, NY, 1997 - 2000 Litigated complex commercial matters for a 6-attorney, AV-rated law firm. Also represented clients in commercial, corporate, real estate and bankruptcy matters.
• Implemented reorganization of a single-asset limited partnership multifamily affordable housing development by means of the sale of 9% Low Income Housing Tax Credits to an institutional investor in a $5.5 million transaction.
• Represented large REIT in bankruptcy matters.
Principal, Bruce H. Kaplan, Esq., Melville, New York, 1990 - 1997 (see above) Associate, Cahn, Wishod, Wishod & Lamb, Melville, New York, 1986 - 1990 Represented corporate clients of a 16-attorney AV rated firm practicing banking, commercial and environmental law. Also represented public entities in various regulatory compliance matters. Performed research, writing, deposing, interviewing witnesses and conducting public meetings.
• Shut down landfill next to an elementary school in the widely publicized “Garbage Barge” appellate case.
• Assisted in defeating anti-development county ordinance. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Organized New York Metro Community Development Fund, LLC. Obtained certification from the U. S. Treasury Department as Community Development Entity under New Markets Tax Credit program, which is required to invest the proceeds of qualified equity investments in low- income communities in the New York metropolitan area. EDUCATION:
M.S. in Real Estate Development & Investment, New York University, 2003 GPA: 3.8.
J.D., SUNY at Buffalo School of Law, 1985
Placed 1st in Moot Court competition as a 2nd year. Admitted in New York, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, U.S. District of Connecticut; United States Court of Appeals for Second Circuit. B.A., cum laude, Brown University, 1981
Majored in Organizational Behavior and Management. Residential Advisor. Organized and served as emcee for major school concerts and campus events.