Steens, MS ****6
Extensive background as an electrical engineer in diverse fields, including highly automated manufacturing and industrial plants, power utility, transmission and distribution circuit breaker manufacturing, and consulting/contracting.
· Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering with power emphasis from Mississippi State University
· Diverse experience in electrical engineering including power, controls and Instrumentation
· Broad knowledge of power and control systems in manufacturing, utilities, and industrial environments.
· Progressively responsible assignments managing large projects and employees
· Extensive construction support of power and control systems
· Several years experience performing design, startup and commissioning of electrical and control systems. More than twenty years experience using AutoCAD. Entergy Services, Inc – Sr. Electrical Engineer - Jackson, MS – 2017 to Present Responsible for supporting all electrical issues that occur in eight nuclear plants. This includes heavy power systems and equipment including generators, transformers, breakers, switchgear. It includes all low and medium electrical systems, PLC/DCS controls, control valves, transmitters and much more. The major responsibility of this position is to solve root cause problems and prevent them from reocuring. Improving reliability and efficiency is the main focus for this position. I work closely with plant engineers, managers, operations and maintenance personnel. They help me with gathering data and troubleshooting. Failure Mode Analysis or Fault tree spreadsheets are developed to document the process. Another major role in this position is creating specifications for replacement equipment and writing procedures for Pms.
TVA – Power Generation Plant– Systems Engineer – Columbus, MS – 2015 to 2017 Responsible for all systems associated with a 800MW combined cycle power generating plant. This includes evaluating systems and components health, assuring proper maintenance is being performed on the right cycle and making adjustments as necessary. Supporting capital and maintenance work and outages. Supporting maintenance, operations and corporate engineers to resolve problems and implement changes. Support includes improving the process and control systems which includes an extensive Emerson DeltaV DCS system and several Allen-Bradley PLCs. Also, responsible for other electronic systems such protection relays and the major electrical equipment. Kior – Gas Production Plant– I&E Engineer – Columbus, MS – 2011 to 2014
· Responsible for all electrical power systems, Emerson DeltaV DCS and several Allen-Bradley ControlLogix, CompactLogix, MicroLogix and PicoLogix PLC controls, and instrumentation systems in a bio-fuel chemical process plant. Duties included overseeing the installation and startup of the
$300M facility's electrical, controls and instrument systems. Worked closely with construction, engineering, OEMs and suppliers to correctly install these systems and place in service. Afterwards, responsible for maintaining same systems, creating several new projects, modification to existing systems, additional equipment specifications, procurement, installation and startup. Electrical system consists of several power transformers at 13.8KV, 4.16KV and 480Vac. 12MW steam turbine generator, Switchgear including 13.8KV, 4.16KV and 480V metal clad switchgear. Included 4.16KV and 480Vac MCCs, reversing 4.16KV across-the-line starters and reduced voltage starters, Allen-Bradley 480Vac Powerflex VFDs up to 600hp. Motors up to 3000hp, DeltaV DCS with 1600 I/O HART devices with Ethernet communications to PLC network, 16 Allen-Bradley ControLogix PLCs racks and Panelview HMIs. Emerson, Vega, E&H, Yokogawa and Siemens transmitters. Fisher and other control valves Large woodyard with several conveyors, silos with screw conveyors and level instruments, 4 – 700hp, 4.16KV hammermills, 1,500hp hog, COEN gas Burner and dryer, several Firefly fire suppression systems, metering screw conveyors, conveyor weigh scales, and more. Responsible for all of the SEL protection relays including configuration settings, using SELsoftware to download, upload and evaluate events. SEL relays included 351, 787, 587, 751 and 749M. Eka Chemicals – Chemical Plant – Sr. Project Engineer – 2007 to 2011
· Responsible for the design, maintenance and troubleshooting of electrical and control systems for a 140MW chemical industrial plant. Includes substations, transformers from 100MVA, 161KV down to 1000KVA, 480Vac. 161KV circuit switchers, 46KV Siemens SF6 gas circuit breakers, Westinghouse/Cutler-Hammer/ABB 15KV switchgear, several manufacturers of 600V switchgear, MCCs from several manufacturers, harmonic filter banks on 46KV and 13.2KV systems, Managing projects of various sizes from conception though commissioning. Sizing, specifying, obtaining bids, entering requisitions using JDE and SAP for all major electrical power and controls systems. Managed and designed many projects from new harmonic filter banks, new 3000KVA transformer, 5KV switchgear and starters, grounding study and upgrade to meet arc flash/S.C. and relay studies, new
$12M boiler, new 4.16KV chillers, several preventative maintenance projects on electrical equipment, air compressor systems, New MCCs, cable tray and cable sizing, motor starter sizing, new VFDs, new panelboards, high and low bay lighting, office lighting, general power, Allen-Bradley PLCs and much more. Supported plant in troubleshooting electrical and control issues. Managed projects associated with large process rectifiers to 80KA at either 220VDC or 700VDC. Managed and worked with consulting firms to performing short circuit study, protective device coordination, arc flash hazard analysis, harmonic filtering and power factor studies, designed Allen-Bradley PLC systems; create and manage purchase orders and maintenance work orders using SAP. Tested all electrical transformers, substation 46KV circuit breakers, 161KV circuit switchers, Pts, Cts, 13.8KV/5KV/480Vac switchgear and MCCs and performed needed Pms to make reliable. Managed the core rewiring of a 30MVA, 46KV to 13.8KV transformer and re-energized. Designed and installed 20 SEL feeder protection relays 751A on 480Vac switchgear including arc flash relays to reduce arc flash incident energy on secondary side of 13.8KV to 460Vac trasformers.
Nissan USA – Controls Engineer - Canton, MS, 2003 to 2007:
· Supervised the installation of power and control systems during the construction of a very large and highly automated Nissan automotive manufacturing plant in Canton, MS. This included
· managing the many engineering installation packages as they were released to construction. Worked closely with the engineering firm, construction, OEM equipment suppliers and parts vendors to resolve all issues. Created field changes and documented with marked up or new AutoCAD drawings. These packages involved the plant's electrical facilities from 480/277Vac, 120/208Vac, and 120/240Vac feeding the production equipment. Designed power and PLCs, communications networks such as Ethernet, Profibus and DeviceNET, large Simplex fire alarm system, tone evacuation, several turnstiles and gate arms, remote speaker call stations, 90 security cameras and security recording equipment, and card access readers at gate arms, turnstiles and other secured offices or production rooms.
· Once construction was completed, worked as a staff controls engineer and maintained, improved and expanded existing systems. Designed new PLC control systems mainly using GE FANUC 90-30/70 PLCs.
· Some of the projects was an extensive “Help Call” system in trim & chassis using a stack lights/horn at each production tech station and 60 large marquees connected via Ethernet network which displayed production station needing help by station number and text message. Required 2 PLC cabinets and two miles of Profibus network. Developed the system including AutoCAD drawings such as elementaries, parts, building the PLC cabinets, wiring, PLC logic, installation, commissioning and startup. Installed two very large marquees at end of trim & chassis lines to provide production data to the production team on the floor. Information included such things as top 10 defects and number of vehicles produced, and total number of vehicles produced per shift by vehicle model. Designed a project to provide a kitting system for the auto doors. Required dedicated PLC system and hardware such as motor driven conveyors, photoeyes, pneumatic cylinders, prox sensors. Cylinders were used to push totes next to correct door, hold/release totes awaiting doors. As the doors came down from overhead conveyors, totes containing the parts for the specified door automatically placed adjacent to the door and traveled on conveyor next to the door where the production workers would select there part to install. Created the PLC logic, parts, designed schematics, installed and commissioned. Designed tire flippers to eliminate the production worker from having to manually pick up the tire to flip it before being able to install in trunk. Designed flipper system electrically with sensors, VFDs and PLC logic
· Also, supported the plants facility systems such as water treatment plant, compressed air, cooling towers. HVAC, etc. Made PLC and HMI changes and corrected issues. For example, replaced hardware that was not reliable with better hardware such as level transmitters on clarifier tanks. Calpine Corporation – Field Engineer – 2001 to 2003
· Successfully managed the installation of the power, controls and instrumentation systems for a $600 million, 900MW gas turbine, combined cycle power plant. This included working with contractors during installation to assure it met design drawings and specifications. Worked with suppliers of all electrical, control and instrumentation equipment to assure they met specifications and performed in their application correctly. Resolved vendor and construction issues. Issued field change orders and marked up design drawings. Created designed drawings. Trained in Siemens Teleperm XP control and monitoring software. The plant required 25 Siemens S7 PLC enclosures and several A/B PLC enclosures.
OMNOVA Solutions – Electrical Engineer – 2000 to 2001
· Responsible for managing the electrical and controls systems for new wall covering manufacturing lines, the electrical power systems, maintenance of all electrical, PLC and instruments. Procter & Gamble – Project Engineer – 1995 to 2000
· Wrote specifications for and ordered long lead power equipment, designed Power and Control systems using Allen-Bradley PLC5 and SLC500, field support and commission of power and control systems for a $1 Billion expansion and numerous capital improvement projects at a Procter & Gamble paper converting facility. Designed and managed capital projects including large OEM equipment such as unwinders, embossing, winders, saws, wrappers, case packers, high speed conveyors tying several OEM units to work together. Worked closely with OEMs to assure it was designed and performed to P&G specifications. Also, responsible for all new general power and lighting systems for large new manufacturing buildings. Designed high and low bay lighting to meet footcandle requirements for manufacturing floor, designed office lighting. Worked with OEM supplying large air washers (HVAC) to control temperature and remove fine paper particles. Installed many motor control lineups, unit substations, panelboards, transformers, cable trays for 13.8KV to 480V, and control and communications cables. Performed grounding, arc flash, and power systems studies. Solved power quality issues.
Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS
Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering
Emerson DeltaV Implementation I Course: DCS Software 2013 Allen-Bradley ControLogix PLC Course: PLC software 2013 ETAP power system analysis Software Course: ETAP 115 2008 GE Proficy Historian Course: Database/Reporting 2006 GE Machine Edition, Plant Edition Course: PLC/HMI Software 2004, 2005 Siemens-Westinghouse Teleperm XP (TXP) Course: DCS Software 2001 Eurotherm Variable Frequency drives Course: VFD & LINKS 2000 Wonderware Course: HMI software 2000
Allen-Bradley PLC5/SLC500/RSView Course: PLC/HMI Software 1995 Allen-Bradley PowerFlex VFDs Course: PowerFlex Drives 2011