March 6, 2019
Human Resource Department
Austin Allen Company, LLC 5076
Dear Human Resources Manager,
I believe my degree in Systems Engineering at Otterbein makes me an ideal candidate to join your company. Systems Engineering is a new department at Otterbein that combines courses in mechanical, electrical, and industrial engineering. With this degree I am able to visualize how mechanical, electrical and industrial components come together to create a larger system. I want to continue to develop as an engineer and learn to solve a variety of problems. I am very interested in the Entry Level Electrical Engineers / Power & Facility Power position with Austin Allen Company. I feel Austin Allen Company provides opportunity for development and growth within the organization.
For the past two years I have interned at The Point, working full time during the summers and continuing to work part time during the school year while focusing on my studies. My duties include a variety of tasks from design and documentation to assembling various pieces of engineering equipment. I use Solid Works and CorelDraw to create the pieces that I manufactured on the equipment. I work in both the wood shop and the metal shop. I fabricated several items on the equipment; Laser cutter, mill and several pieces of equipment in the wood shop. I also assembled a large piece of equipment for the metal lab. The Tormach Lathe took a couple of weeks to assemble and test. Working at The Point has improved my communication skills, through working with my peers and teaching community members how to use the equipment in the space. As an underclassman I also worked at Kroger while attending classes at Otterbein. Working at Kroger Marketplace for five years has helped me develop my communications skills, work as a team member, and balance the demands of working and going to school. Through my engineering classes, I have worked towards mastering programs such as SolidWorks, Arduino(C+
+), Matlab and MakerBot. Over the past four years I have completed seven engineering projects ranging from a spree candy sorter to a complete facility design. As a member of the design team, we collaborated to design the parts, write the codes to control these devices and apply what we have learned in our classes to solve a problem and develop a solution. Through engineering I have learned how to design a product that will optimize the desired task and appeals to the customer.
After you have reviewed my resume, I hope to meet with you to discuss how I can be beneficial to your team. I look forward to hearing from you to schedule an interview at your earliest convenience. You can contact me at email@example.com or 614-***-****.
William (Billy) Winget 614-***-**** firstname.lastname@example.org LinkedIn Education
Otterbein University Westerville, Ohio GPA: 3.156 B.S., Systems Engineering May 2019
• Mathematics Minor
• Dean’s List
The Point Westerville, Ohio
Engineering Intern May 2017 — Present
• Staff Maker events held in the Maker Space.
• Monitor and provide assistance to community members using the equipment.
• Complete outside orders for customers as well as projects for the Maker Space.
• Assisted in the assembly and installation of several pieces of machinery.
• Prepared various drawings in Solid Works to complete projects.
• Set up and calibrated the new 3D printers for the engineering labs.
• Developed the online content for the safety quizzes that are required to gain access to the workshops.
• Assisted the instructor during the High School summer camps. Relevant Skills
Engineering Tools and Software: SolidWorks, Arduino, MATLAB, MakerBot, Cura, VCarve, CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator
Business Software: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Other Skills: Project Planning, Technical Writing, Problem Solving, Teamwork, Presentation Skills
Technical Design Experience
Facility Design Project, Spring 2018
• Design a facility that optimizes the assembly line, warehouse, shipping and offices for a product. Miniature Kitchen, Spring 2018
• Build a kitchen using components from lab to understand how an electrical system works. Granite Table Construction, Fall 2017
• Analyze the material strength and the force of a Granite block to build a table. Walnut Cracker, Fall 2016
• Optimize and analyze the internal material stresses of a device to crack the shell of a walnut. Drink Mixing Device, Spring 2016
• Organize a user interface to blend three liquids together. Spree Candy Sorter, Fall 2015
• Develop a device that analyzes the color frequency and sorts sprees into categories. Extracurricular Activities
Sigma Delta Phi Fraternity Oct. 2016 — Present
Otterbein University Center for Community Engagement Aug. and Mar. Volunteer
Boys Club Feb. 2015 –- Apr. 2017
Kroger Marketplace Dublin, Ohio
Courtesy Clerk (Nov. 2012-Nov. 2013), Cashier (Nov. 2013-June 2018) November 2012 – June 2018
• Collect carts and sort groceries into appropriate bags.
• Manage the register and self-check-out lanes.
• Greet, communicate and provide assistance to customers.
• Develop strong time management skills and the ability to balance the demands of work and school.