University of Southern California (USC) |MS Environmental Engineering (GPA- 3.9/4.0) August 2010 - May 2012
University of Mumbai, India | BE Chemical Engineering August 2006 - July 2010
Engineer-In-Training (EIT) | Environmental California, April 2012
Intern - California Regional Water Quality Control Board Los Angeles, August 2011 – June 2012
• Prepared Substitute Environmental Documents (EIR) for Bacteria TMDLs (Total Maximum Daily Loads) under CEQA (California Environmental Quality Act) requirements.
• Worked on the Salt and Nutrient Management Plan for various watersheds in Los Angeles and Ventura counties by researching and attending workshops on behalf of the State Board.
• Engaged in fieldwork for Recreational Uses Monitoring in various engineered channels and presented the observations to stakeholders at the Recreational Uses workshop.
• Worked on 401 Certifications and performed site visits, inspected the wetland areas and studied possible alternatives to reduce impacts and provide compensatory mitigation measures on wetlands.
• Worked on Policies and Procedures for Investigation, Cleanup and Abatement of Discharges and Beneficial Uses for watersheds in Los Angeles and Ventura counties in order to update the Los Angeles Basin Plan.
Intern- SNC Lavalin Pvt. Ltd. Mumbai, May - July 2009
• Contributed to designing the most efficient and economic equipment in compliance with EPA guidelines and regulations.
• Conducted mass and energy balance analysis to determine the number and size of reactors, distillation and absorption columns as per the desired capacity required to carry out various chemical processes.
Environmental Regulatory and Compliance, Regulation and Compliance for Septic Systems- Team Leader USC, 2011
• Presented the use of septic systems in remote places where no effluent treatment plants are available and presented the steps to how to build a septic system, cost analysis, feasibility, maintenance, permits required to be obtained, regulations and compliance governing their use. Performed a case study on the use of septic systems and its regulation in Malibu.
Process Kinetics and Dynamics, Nano- materials and Water Purification- Team Leader USC, 2011
• Analyzed different nanomaterials available for use in water purification; their properties, synthesis, mechanisms for pollutant (particle) removal, advantages and disadvantages.
• Presented a case study on two nanomaterials; titanium dioxide and zero- valent iron, their synthesis and the mechanism used for particle removal in water treatment.
Water Quality Control, Energy Recovery from Wastewater Treatment Plant- Team Member USC, 2010
• Analyzed and presented different ways in which energy can be recovered from a wastewater treatment plant to make it sustainable and economical.
• Performed a case study on Hyperion Wastewater Treatment Plant, which uses digestion (biogas) and cogeneration to produce power, making the plant self-sufficient in regard to energy.
Particulate Air Pollutants, Effects of Ultrafine Particles on Human Health- Team Leader USC, 2011
• Researched and presented four papers on the health effects of ultrafine particles (UFPs) on different parts/systems of the human body (heart, respiratory health, central nervous system, and DNA).
• Concluded that there is a dire need to regulate and reduce UFP emissions, and expand research efforts on the health effects of UFPs.
C, C++, MATLAB, MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Access, Outlook)
ACTIVITIES AND HOBBIES
• Member of ‘USC ZEHER’, University of Southern California’s Bollywood Dance Team. USC, 2010 - Present
• Vice-Chairperson of National Service Scheme (Mumbai University initiative) for two consecutive years– organized blood donation camps, flood relief work, tree plantations, AIDS awareness. Mumbai, 2007 - 2009
• Member of the inter-college dance team for four years, won group awards in many inter-college level competitions and the ‘Best Dancer’ award in five inter-college events. Mumbai, 2006 - 2010
• Event Head of various events like prison break (IEEE) and publicity volunteer (IEEE and IICHE) in college technical and cultural festivals. Mumbai, 2006 - 2010