Tulsa, OK 74119
Position as Design Engineer using Research/Development experience to design new technology.
A bright, hard-working and creative individual with solid knowledge and accomplishments in the area of design engineering. Recognized for ability to work as a significant team player in accomplishing any task/project or as a strong individual contributor. Has handled numerous and varied projects using research and development experience and problem solving expertise. Enjoys seeing tasks/projects through from beginning to end.
• Designed electrical hardware and software for a world leader in the design, manufacture and marketing of high-quality sportfishing SONAR and GPS mapping instruments.
• Developed software for the cold cathode backlight power supply of SONAR fishfinders. Software performed all functions required and power supply was controlled over SPI interface, with 32 brightness levels.
• Working with software engineer in charge of the main micro-controller for SONAR fishfinders, wrote and tested software to enable updates for the ST7 software. This reprogramming made the ST7 software updateable in the field through its SPI interface.
• Maintained the software and solved problems for a dual buck converter power supply used on GPS product. Helped to resolve over-voltage problem on the buck converter outputs by shutting off power to the system. Supply now provided reliable power under all loading conditions and over-voltage protection was now provided through software.
• Requested to design 5-port ethernet switch with over-voltage protection. Chose a MAXIM chip that protected against over-voltage conditions. Built protection circuitry for the ethernet switch that could withstand 36V indefinitely and 200V for half a second. Certified device to withstand this voltage and traveled to Mexico to monitor/oversee production of switch.
• Co-designed power supply for XM receiver, which consisted of 4 buck converters and 3 linear regulators. Design made it through one prototyping stage and power supply worked.
• Created a program using java which allowed the user to compare the Bill of Material (BOM) to the layout, making the interface an easy-to-use Graphical User Interface (GUI). The program is currently being used by the company.
• Led the project of designing a 5-port ethernet switch to glue together the network of different fishfinder products. Implemented the design using a Micrel system-on-a-chip and saved board space and design time by using a single chip for ethernet. Saw the design through production and created/maintained all BOMs through the entire design.
• Assigned project to build a 5-port ethernet router to bridge the Control Area Network (CAN) and ethernet, provide mass storage of data and glue together the network. Saw router through two prototype stages, wrote test software for an ARM 9 processor to test the hardware and created/maintained BOM for the product. Hardware for the router performed all necessary functions, learned to use an ARM 9 debugger and became more proficient using PADs schematic and layout programs.
• Built a high brightness LED power supply to be used as the backlight for the LCD. Selected a MAXIM IC, coordinated efforts with a software engineer, and saw the design all the way through to production. Backlight met all specifications, driver got the LEDs as bright as necessary at maximum brightness and dim enough at minimum brightness.
• Requested to head project to thump test hard drives from several vendors to determine which should be used on new products. Used PC to test hard drives through a USB connection, then USB-to-SCSI adapter on hard drives. Collaborated with software engineer who wrote program to constantly read and write hard drives. Completed testing of all required drives, wrote management report for recommendation and set up test for any new hard drives.
Lowrance Electronics, Tulsa, OK
Gulfport Energy, Oklahoma City, OK Summer 2005
Goodyear, Lawton, OK Summer 2003 & 2004
B.S., Electrical Engineering with Honors, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK. Cumulative GPA: 3.93; Major GPA: 4.00
Honors: National Society of Collegiate Scholars
Golden Key Honor Society
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Design Experience gained through coursework/projects:
Designed radiometer for monitoring of crops
Built design around a PIC microcontroller
Performed all layout responsibilities throughout design
Helped with c code for purposes of debugging the circuit