Alvin Peter Strachan
** ******** ******, ********, *** York, 11207 Phone (347) 651 – 4354
A Tier II Microsoft support professional with over 12 years of progressive customer service experience providing both hardware and software support. Consistently on the forefront of applied technology. Successful business and IT strategist; leader of large-scale system deployments and custom application implementations. A skilled troubleshooter; highly technical and analytical, with excellent hardware/software skills and professional presence.
Support and administration of Microsoft environments involving Windows 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7. Applied technologist with experience in Government, Retail, Music Entertainment, Electronics Manufacturing, and Non-Profit industries.
Skillset Years Proficiency
Diagnosing PC/Laptop Hardware issues & installing hardware 12 Very Strong
Supporting Dell, HP, IBM hardware and troubleshooting break/fix repair issues
12 Very Strong
Supporting and troubleshooting Windows operating systems (98, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7) 12 Very Strong
Supporting End Users and troubleshooting Microsoft Office Professional (97, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010)
12 Very Strong
Troubleshooting PC’s in a Active Directory environment
12 Very Strong
Microsoft Outlook Exchange troubleshooting & configuration 12 Proficient
User Support Assistant
CUNY, The Graduate Center
(Public Institution; 500 clients; Education Services Industry) (Temporary)
• Responsible for Windows7, IE8, and Office migration design, planning processes/procedures.
• Responds to work requests regarding installation, configuration and/or maintenance of client software and the deployment of new technology releases.
• Evaluates and integrates new hardware configurations and provides support of client technologies on workstations and peripherals.
***Environment*** | Windows 7, Windows XP Professional 2002, Office 2010 Pro, Outlook Exchange 2008, Active Directory 2008, McAfee 4.6, Numara Track-It 10, Altiris, Dell Hardware Environment.
HP Project Consultant
(Public Company; 10,0001+ employees; UBS Financial Services Industry) 01/09/12 – 04/12/2012
• Deploy new HP systems and provide tech support for hardware and software issues of new systems for UBS employees including trading floors.
• Stage Windows XP image, replace and deploy legacy systems with HP systems, migrate user’s profile and wipe out legacy data.
***Environment*** | Windows 7, Windows XP Professional 2002, Office 2007 Pro, Outlook Exchange 2003, Active Directory 2008, Symantec Total Protection, ServiceNow, HP/Compaq Hardware Environment.
(Advertising Firm; 1000 employees) 03/11 – 07/11 (Temporary)
• Collaborated with endusers to deliver solutions that would provide well managed standardized computing environment to all information workers.
• Worked closely with senior executives in IT service management, SLA and business affairs to evaluate rollout impact on financial, and information worker functions.
***Environment*** | Windows 7, Windows XP Professional 2002, Office 2007 Pro, Outlook Exchange 2003, Active Directory 2008, Symantec Total Protection, Altiris, HP Service Desk Manager, HP/Compaq Hardware Environment.
ECM Technology Support (Equity Capital Markets)
Raymond James & Associates (Publicly owned; 500 employees; Finance Industry) 12 /10 -02 /11 (Temporary)
Worked closely with traders to understand their needs by supporting the applications that are used on trading desks.
• Troubleshoot software/hardware failures and identify network problems when related to personal desktop computer.
• Support Bloomberg, Reuters, and Thompson web –based applications.
***Environment*** | Windows 7, Windows XP Professional 2002, Office 2007 Pro, Outlook Exchange 2003, Active Directory 2008, Sophos Total Protection, HP Service Desk Manager, LandDesk, HP/Compaq Hardware Environment.
International Baccalaureate (Nonprofit Agency; 250 employees; Education Industry) 02/08 – 09/10 (2 years)
• Provided documentation within the ICT support desk system.
• Perform system maintenance and administration; evaluate desktop systems and recommend software upgrades or enhancements.
***Environment*** | Windows XP Professional, Office 2007 Pro, Outlook Exchange 2003, Active Directory 2008, McAfee Total Protection, Dell Latitude/Optiplex Hardware environment.
The Ladder Inc., (Privately owned; Internet Company) 08/07 –12/07 (Temporary)
• Identify, research, troubleshoot and resolve software, hardware and network related issues; create tickets and prioritize requests received via telephone and email, track and document activity and problem resolutions.
• Identify measures of system performance and corrective actions; provide preventive maintenance on related computer equipment (hardware and software).
***Environment*** | Windows XP Professional 2002, Office 2007 Pro, Outlook Exchange 2003, Active Directory 2008, Symantec Corporate Edition, Track - It 8.0, Dell Latitude/Optiplex Hardware environment.
Information Systems Technologist
Grenada’s Ministry of Health & Finance (Government Agency; 1000 employees; Health & Finance industry) 06/00 – 06/07 (7 years)
• Provide technical support by performing installation, repair, and preventative maintenance of personal computer and related software/hardware.
• Resolve network communication problems independently prior to escalation to IT Analysts. - Assist with patch administration, email administration, antivirus administration
***Environment*** | Windows 2000 Professional, Office 2000 Pro, Outlook Exchange 2000, Active Directory 2000, Symantec Corporate Edition, Dell Latitude/Optiplex Hardware environment
Woodbury University (University; 2500 students; Classroom/Academic) 01/97–05/00 (3 years)
• Provided desktop support for over 60 Windows NT 4.0 workstations, 20 Macintosh OS 7.6-8.1 workstation
• Configure and troubleshoot hardware devices and drivers, storage devices, display devices, local user and group accounts, network protocols and services, using remote assistance tools.
BS, in Computer Information Systems and Business Management, 1996 - 2000
- MCSE (Courseware).