JOACHIM AHNER, PHD
Digital Storage Technology Innovation Product Development PROFESSIONAL PROFILE
Highly qualified and experienced Senior Director with an impressive background in delivering digital storage solutions, launching new products, and leading diverse teams in a global setting. Oversees all phases of the product development lifecycle which includes research through deployment. Recognized for unparalleled ability to leverage technology in order to solve problems and implement solutions that help businesses thrive. Excels in leadership positions due to the ability to communicate organizational goals, facilitate collaboration, foster innovation, and successfully and seamlessly launch new technological initiatives.
● Unparalleled ability to lead diverse teams and ensure high level performance standards through support and goal setting while simultaneously enhancing operations focused on technological innovations.
● Qualified in taking on complex projects and establishing project management objectives to meet organizational initiatives.
● Delivers high technical content while achieving low cost, high-volume, and reliable products and technologies.
● Has contributed to the design and productization of multiple metrology tools and sensors, including the internal LIDAR project and the ferroelectric battery storage project.
● Author of over 100 scientific publications, 3 books, and more than 50 granted patents. AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Product Management – Team Leadership – IT Innovation – Product Lifecycle Development – Best Practices Technology Management – Digital Storage – Manufacturing Products – Research – Global Team Leadership Stakeholder Management – Strategic Planning – Troubleshooting – Business Requirements – Technology Integrations Technology Implementations – Cost Savings – Technical Re-design – Hard Drive Technology – Optical Design Cross-Functional Communication – Technical Solutions – Complex Problem Solving – Revenue Generation – ROI PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
SEAGATE RESEARCH CENTER– Fremont, CA
Senior Director, Managing Technologist 2008 to current Successfully led advanced technology development for hard drive technology. Oversaw innovation and IP development from productization through manufacturability. Spearheaded the launch of advanced manufacturing products and ensured all goals were met throughout the product development lifecycle which included research and a product launch in manufacturing facilities across the globe. Achieved alignment in a large, global team by fostering a strong team environment.
● Introduced high precision laser induced glass cutting technology for high temperature glass substrates at Seagate Research and Production Facilities in Singapore and Malaysia.
● Awarded the Seagate Innovation Award: Above and Beyond in 2022 and 2018, was entered into the Seagate Innovator Hall of Fame in 2011, and Seagate Chairman Price Award in 2010. Research Engineering Manager 2004 to 2008
Oversaw the development of novel high density data storage devices that were based on multiple probes. Led a team of 11 people in developing a novel data storage medium. Created ultra-high-resolution imaging and analyzation for a magnetic data-storage medium. Introduced a unique, high-resolution nano-workbench for imaging, analyzation, and manipulation of nano-scaled data materials structures.
● Introduced the world’s highest resolution in magnetic force microscopy.
● Invented the ferroelectric based programmable integrated circuit device. Joachim Ahner, PhD firstname.lastname@example.org Page 2 SEAGATE RESEARCH CENTER, CONTINUED:
Research Staff Member & Project Leader 2001 to 2004 Led the development and deployment of a magnetic force microscope with the highest lateral resolution. Acted as the Co-PI for the Center for Oxide and Semiconducting Materials for Quantum Computing at the University of Pittsburgh. Notable Contributions:
● Participated as a member of the PhD advisory board at Carnegie Mellon University. UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH– Pittsburgh, PA 1996 to 2004 Professor, Surface Science Center
Completed research in surface dynamics and transport measurements in nano-sized materials, thin films, and quantum dots of metal and semiconductors. Led the development of a novel multiple tip SPM. Notable Contributions:
● Recognized as the Director of the Nanoscience Division at the Surface Science Center.
● Participated as Co-PI for several research grants. ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
POSTDOCTORAL SCIENTIST, UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH, SURFACE SCIENCE CENTER VISITING SCIENTIST, HEBREW UNIVERSITY JERUSALEM
SCIENTIST, PHILIPPS UNIVERSITY OF MARBURG, GERMANY EDUCATION
POSTDOC– UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY (PHD), PHYSICS– UNIVERSITY OF MARBURG, GERMANY MASTER OF SCIENCE (MS), PHYSICS– UNIVERSITY OF MARBURG, GERMANY EXECUTIVE LEADERSHIP– HARVARD BUSINESS SCHOOL