Stephen (Steve) Latz
Contact Steve Latz: Phone: 973-***-**** • Email: email@example.com Summary
Seasoned hands-on information technology professional with track record of success, able to interface with all levels of large organizations. Thirty-five years’ experience in a variety of roles for major financial services firms, including J.P. Morgan, Merrill Lynch, Netfolio, Bloomberg, Bank of America, Lehman Brothers, Barclays Capital and Wells Fargo. Current specialties include business continuity architecture/delivery and implementation of high- assurance QA programs at the LOB level encompassing end-to-end functional testing, and large-scale distributed- system performance testing.
Subject Matter Knowledge
• Fixed Income cash and derivatives • Equities cash and derivatives
• FX spot/forward/derivatives • Funds Transfer
• Enterprise Market Risk • Capital Reqts. (Basel, Dodd-Frank, FRTB, etc.)
• Collateral Management • Regulatory Reporting (CATS, QFC, MIFID, etc.) Current and Prior Roles
• Architecture Standards/Governance Lead • Technical Architect/Test Automation Architect
• Director of Quality Assurance • Manager of Trading Floor Support/Software Release
• Lead for DEV/QA/DEVOPS • Software Developer/Business Analyst
• Project Manager (Waterfall and Agile/Scrum) • System Performance Test Lead Key Competencies
• Business Continuity Design/Delivery/Testing • Performance testing large distributed systems
• On-time, on-budget, prod-ready applications • Large-scale QA automation architectures
• Driving SDLC change in large firms, with
focus on traceability and IT risk management
• Troubleshooting complex functional and performance defects in large-scale distributed software systems
• Requirements, Lifecycle and Change Mgmnt. • Recruiting/mentoring/leading teams
• Transaction processing, including
transactional messaging and
• High-assurance, saturation, end-to-end functional testing with requirements-driven, auto-generated
inputs and model-based verification
• Design/delivery of custom UI test tools • UAT design/management Technology Experience
Networking/Messaging/APIs TCP/IP, HTTP, DCE, CORBA, SOA, REST/SOAP, Tibco, VANTIQ Databases/ETL Tools Sybase, MS SQL Server, Oracle, Neteeza, MySQL, Mongo, Informatica Modeling Tools Erwin, MySQL Workbench, Visio
Modeling Methods Relational, Star, Snowflake, O-O in UML (behavioral, structural, event-driven) Lifecycle/Release Management Jenkins, Artifactory, uDeploy, Kubernetes/Docker, Ansible Source Code Control git, SVN, Clearcase, RCS, SCCS, CMS/MMS Project/Defect/Test Management Jira, Confluence, MS Project, Primavera, HP ALM, Bugzilla, Clearquest, Sable Test Automation/Code Analysis Selenium; Lettuce/Cucumber, UFT, Robot, Appium, Silktest, Winrunner, Loadrunner, Grindr, Jmeter, Postman, SOAPUi, Parasoft, lint, JsLint, PyLint Monitoring sar, tcpdump, wireshark, Grafana, Nagios, Datadog, splunk Resume of Stephen R. Latz Page 2 of 6
As a developer, team lead and technical project manager, have delivered front office trading and order management systems, as well as a variety of back and middle office systems focusing on account reconciliation, risk management, feeds management (ETL), corporate action processing and reference data management. Demonstrated expertise in architecting and delivering full-coverage, cost-effective quality assurance programs for complex business systems, tailored to meet the needs of a range of development methodologies from traditional waterfall SDLC to today’s agile approaches. Demonstrated ability to adapt to the needs of all projects. Have architected and built customized automated test tools in Java, Python and .NET environments.
• As Professional Services Consultant for VANTIQ, 2019-20, participated in customer’s implementation of cloud- based Electronic Shelf Tag management system.
• Consulting for Doran Jones, 2016-19, led successful automated testing and DEVOPS effort for QFC Recordkeeping at Wells Fargo, aggregating bank-wide exposures for regulatory reporting.
• Advisor December 2015-April 2016 for Wisdom LLC, a startup in the entitlements management space.
• At Bloomberg, 2013-14, architected/implemented Python-based automated testing for enterprise search app.
• Consulting at Bloomberg, 2010-2012, managed review and revision of a major development group’s change management tools and processes.
• At Barclays Capital in 2008-2009, managed a major data warehouse proof-of-concept pitting Netezza against Oracle Exadata, DB2 and Sybase IQ. Testing involved realistic simulation of 450 million record daily load.
• At Bank of America, in 2007-2008, co-led a major account hierarchy conversion in equities derivatives with responsibility for system testing and UAT.
• At Bloomberg, from 2006-2007, played an important role in bringing two high-performance search applications to market, including day-to-day vendor management and system integration responsibilities, and extensive load testing resulting in major performance improvements.
• At Bloomberg in 2004-2005, architected and delivered in-house test automation tools, enabling automated regression tests with Bloomberg's proprietary UI.
• At Merrill Lynch, Netfolio and Bloomberg, from 1997-2005, established full-lifecycle quality capabilities -- recruited and managed QA teams, architected testing approaches, implemented change management disciplines, drafted test requirements and plans, designed and implemented robust test environments and successfully completed major testing efforts.
• At Merrill Lynch in 2002-03, redesigned/recoded real-time Global FX Order Management system.
• At J.P. Morgan in the mid-1990s, co-authored the Architecture of Dependable Systems and led a successful enterprise middleware standards group.
• At J.P. Morgan 1990-93, delivered equities and fixed income trading applications. Resume of Stephen R. Latz Page 3 of 6
Chronological Summary of Experience
Building Block Technologies Inc. July 2020 – present Product development work on EasyVPM, using the Isomorphic Smartclient (GWT) low-code environment. Senior Technology Consultant
VANTIQ, Inc. August 2019 – June 2020
Professional Services consultant for successful Platform-As-A-Service software vendor providing high-productivity cloud environment for high-performance event-driven applications in use for diverse applications including Smart Buildings, Oil and Gas Production Monitoring, Supply Chain Management, Smart Grid and more. Participated in customer’s implementation of cloud-based Electronic Shelf Tag management system. Principal Consultant
Building Block Technologies Inc. December 2009 – August 2019 Over a ten-year period completed a variety of engagements for clients in a range of roles, including QA automation architecture and team leadership, DEVOPS team leadership, software assessments, and new product positioning/marketing. Selected assignments include:
• Director of Testing October 2016 – August 2019
Doran Jones, New York, NY
Led test automation and DEVOPS effort for Wells Fargo’s QFC regulatory reporting effort, with full model-based verification.
• Management Consultant
Stealth startup (medium-sized visual effects shop) December 2015 - April 2016 Delivered software assessment and business strategy recommendations, including feasibility of moving to the cloud for ultra-high bandwidth video-editing applications.
• QA Architect (consulting)
Bridgewater July 2015 - October 2015
Defined high-level test automation architecture. Assisted in interviewing/hiring additional staff.
• QA Architect (consulting)
Wisdom, LLC December 2014 - June 2015
Advised stealth mode startup in the entitlements management space on use of quality-centered software development and robust documentation practices.
• QA Architect and Engineer
Bloomberg September 2013 - September 2014
For development group at Bloomberg, architected and implemented automated testing in Python for enterprise search application, including use of model-based automated verification methods.
• QA Engineer
Bloomberg September 2010 - September 2012
• Team Leader (consulting)
IBM Global Services, Federal Sector June 2010 -August 2010 Managed team of three consultants in preparation of technical proposal documents for IBM Global Services’ response to the $12 billion T4 RFP of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
• Principal Consultant
TwoFour Consulting December 2009 - February 2010
On assignment through TwoFour Consulting, for the Market Risk IT group at Bank of America, led a small project team in delivery of analysis and recommendations on consolidation of market risk reporting systems. Resume of Stephen R. Latz Page 4 of 6
Technical Architect/Vice President
Barclays Capital September 2008 – December 2009
Participant on Risk-Finance Data Warehouse project. Managed a major data warehouse proof-of-concept pitting Netezza against Oracle Exadata, DB2 and Sybase IQ. Authored non-functional requirements, QA strategy documents. Provided assistance to workstream leads in recruitment and staffing. Demonstrated importance of business rules catalogs in requirements specifications.
Software Architect/Vice President
Lehman Brothers July 2008 – September 2008
Responsible for design and implementation of architectural standards and governance process for Risk IT group. Senior Consultant
TwoFour Consulting September 2007 – June 2008
For the Equities Derivatives business of BancAmerica Securities, co-led a major Account Hierarchy Conversion project, with responsibility for system testing and UAT. Also responsible for architecture and implementation of ADP account asset transfers triggered by reorganization of front office positions. Senior Information Technologist
Bloomberg L.P. August 2003 – September 2007
From 2006-07, managed system integration and load testing efforts on the News Search project, an effort to provide up-to- date structured search capabilities for Bloomberg's 125+ million document repository of news and research documents.
• Managed test and production resources across two data centers;
• Coordinated system resource usage across groups;
• Tested and managed deployments of new software, and participated in ongoing re-architecture efforts;
• managed load testing which raised search throughput from 40 queries per second per cluster to 200+, using a carefully-planned single-factor sensitivity approach. From 2003-2005, led QA efforts for Equities R&D group, managing a team of four. Key accomplishments included:
• Led architecture and implementation of an automated test tool enabling automated testing of Bloomberg UI;
• Performed full-scale performance testing of Bloomberg's browser-based HL search function, which provides a unified interface to all of Bloomberg's HELP content and more; tests involved simulation of tens of thousands of users, identification of key bottlenecks and defects, and prototyping an alternative implementation featuring a multi- threaded application server with persistent transport-level connections to the backend search services;
• Established QA process and automated tests of key Bloomberg Equities function. Key accomplishments: (1) establishing a test specification methodology; and (2) automation of regression tests based on the foregoing test specifications.
Building Block Technologies Inc. May 1996 – July 2003 Over a seven-year period, consulting practice focused in particular on the design and delivery of full lifecycle quality assurance programs. Selected successful assignments include:
• Analyst and Application Developer/Senior Consultant Merrill Lynch Global Foreign Exchange February 2002 – July 2003 (intermittent) Redesigned/recoded a legacy (X Windows) FX Order Management system that was dropping large-value orders during real-time message updates.
• Analyst and Application Developer/Senior Consultant Citigroup October 2001 – January 2002
Design and coding of the equity optimal index mapping application for Citigroup’s GMR Equities Risk Analytics group. Enabled use of a broader range of market factors for mapping position risk, substantially reducing Equity VAR. Resume of Stephen R. Latz Page 5 of 6
• Director of Quality Assurance (consultant role)
Netfolio, Inc. July 2000 – May 2001
Built and managed a 14-person quality assurance effort instrumental in the successful March 1, 2001 launch of the Netfolio website. Established repeatable processes in requirements specification and change management, and implemented effective functional/load test environment with full, automated regression test capabilities.
• Manager of Quality Assurance (consultant role)
Merrill Lynch Global Foreign Exchange July 1997 – June 2000 Established and managed a seven-person Quality Assurance team for the Global Foreign Exchange business. Accomplishments included: design/implementation of model-driven automated end-to-end regression tests for FX spot/forward and options front office systems (including Y2K certification testing); recoding of Teknekron-based FX Order Management System; implementation of change management and migration of the change control environment from SCCS to Clearcase. Also managed functional and load testing of the real-time FX counterparty risk adjusted exposure service.
Project Manager and Architect/Vice President/Consultant J.P. Morgan January 1988 – April 1996
• Technical Architect (employee) Oct. 1994 – April 1996 Member of the Enterprise Technical Architecture team that defined J.P. Morgan's distributed systems technical architecture in the period Feb.-May 1995, with specific responsibility for the 100-page chapter on Dependability. Evangelized for and led first bank-wide technical standards group, with successful adoption and subsequent implementation of DCE/Encina as middleware standard. Served as JP Morgan’s representative to the Open Software Foundation and participated in founding conference of The Open Group.
• Project Manager (employee) March 1993 – Oct. 1994 Co-led design, development, testing and delivery of the Trader Workstation (TWS) application for the Convertible Bond, High Yield Bond, Proprietary and Listed Equity trading desks. Managed team of seven during rollout/maintenance.
• Team Leader (employee) March 1992 – March 1993
Managed STARS Pricing System Phase 2 development (including testing and release management) and served as liaison to business users on the Treasury and Agency trading desks. Helped design, implement and test business continuity plan.
• Senior Consultant from AGS Information Services to JP Morgan April 1990 – March 1992 and January 1988 – September 1989
Participated in the design, development and testing of the Securities Pricing System, using C/Motif/Sybase/Unix. Application provided pricing, analytics and mark-to-market functionality for the Treasury and Agency trading desks. Participated in the design, development and testing of the SARA and Rates Mover applications using C on VAX/VMS. SARA provided fixed income analytics. Rates Mover was a publish-and-subscribe digital rates distribution system Led a five-month effort to stabilize VAX Code Management System (CMS)/Make Management System (MMS) to produce a reliable, coordinated New York-London release process. Involved major improvements to SDLC. Application developer/Senior Consultant
Comtex, Inc. September 1989 – April 1990
As consultant on assignment to Bankers Trust, designed and developed loan services and money transfer (SWIFT) applications using VAX/VMS/C/DCL and DecIntact and APH transaction processing software. Application Developer/Senior Consultant
CGS Consulting Services June 1987 – December 1987
On assignment to AT&T, designed and coded an event-driven Print Object Manager using VAX/VMS/C. System retrieved bitmap images of engineering drawings from WORM optical disk and drove a high-speed laser printer. Project Manager/Independent Consultant
Seward & Kissell January 1986 – June 1987
Selected and installed a VAX-based office automation system, featuring full redundancy and virtual non-stop operation. Resume of Stephen R. Latz Page 6 of 6
Senior Programmer Analyst
Chase Manhattan Bank April 1984 – December 1985
Development, testing and maintenance of Fedwire system, using VAX Pascal and Intranet's NEXSYS TP software. Accomplishments included: (1) performance optimization to increase maximum transaction load from 10,000 to 40,000 per day; (2) design/implementation of source code management and release process certified by the Federal Reserve as compliant with all applicable regulations.
• Board member, Family Connections, 2007-2008
• Chair, Schools Subcommittee of Maplewood Citizens Budget Advisory Committee, 2006-2016
• South Orange-Maplewood Board of Education, 1997-2006
• NJSBA State Finance Committee, 2005-06
• Trustee, Community Coalition on Race, 1998-2000
Yale University, 1982, BA in Philosophy with concentration in Computer Science