Christopher J. Garcia
Experienced curator with ability to guide creation of content including exhibits, articles, videos and films; ability to convey excellent story sense to serve readers and drive conversation; expertise in providing fresh angles of coverage and ongoing guidance on current, historical and technological topics; current with emerging trends and skilled in leveraging best practices; committed to audience appeal and growth across delivery platforms, including web, print, video, film and television networks, and to assist the organization in defining and refining its content strategies.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS ABILITIES
• Curatorial leadership in
• Exhibition design and content development.
• Article/podcast/documentary development and delivery
• Creative, innovative and analytical thinker and teacher
• Current on trends in art, historical research, education, and cinema
• Able to bring fresh angles to ongoing features and spot unusual stories
• Social media management/navigation
• Understands and adheres to defamation, libel and slander law.
• Understands and adheres to copyright law and regulations
• Strong interpersonal and team management coach and mentor
• Consistent, reliable team communication skills
• Strong talent at layout, video, and audio editing.
PUBLISHING, WRITING AND EDITING EXPERIENCE
• Warhol & The Computer
• Goodbye Tomorrow, Hello Yesterday!
• Algorithmic Music – David Cope and EMI
2013 - Present Film Journal Klaus at Gunpoint
• 15 issues, klausatgunpoint.weebly.com
2008 - Present Fanzine Journey Planet (Co-Edited with James Bacon et al.)
• 44 Issues, jounreyplanet.weebly.com
2005 - Present - Fanzine the Drink Tank
• 422 issues, http://efanzines.com/DrinkTank/index.htm
Film Festivals Programmed
• 2001 – 2020 Cinequest Film Festival - Shorts Film Programmer:
• 1999-2003, 2013-Present Silicon Valley Science Fiction Short Film Festival
Television and Radio Appearances
August 2018: 99% Invisible
Articles of Interest episode 1: Jacquard
oAugust 2016: Silicon Cowboys
The Military Channel
oAugust 2006: On the 25th Anniversary of the IBM PC
oOctober 2002: On the History of Home Video Game Systems
Call for Help, TechTV, San Francisco, CA
oAugust 2002 Segment Host: On the History of Calculators, PDAs, Flashlights, and Movies
TechNow! KNTV-11, NBC
oWon San Francisco Bay Area's Local Emmy - Best Informational Short (5 Minutes or Less)
oMay 2002: On the History of Video Games
TechNow! KNTV-11, NBC
oSeptember 2001: The History of Computers
Channel 1 TV
oMay 2001: TechLive On The History Of Video Games
oDecember 2000: Biography presents: Steve Wozniak
Arts and Entertainment Network
oOctober 2000: On Early Personal Computers
Radio Free Europe
oAugust 1999: Microsoft Y2K Preparedness Video with Bob Cringley
oJuly 1999: A Visit to the Computer Museum History Centre
Tech News, NHK-TV, Japan
2019 – Present Study.com Mountain View, CA
Managed and tracked contractors from hiring through QA processes
Produce documentation for internal and external processes
Helped to re-develop QA practices for contractors and administrative assistants
Worked within CMS to upload and verify content.
1999 - 2019 The Computer History Museum Mountain View, CA
• Catalogue and maintain collection of films, videos and photo archives and historic items.
• Lead research into computers in graphics, music, art, and gaming.
• Produce Museum podcast: From the Archives
• Write articles for in-house magazine, blogs, and exhibits.
• Develop programs and present tours of visible storage areas.
1999 - 2003, 2013 - Present Science Fiction Short Film Festival The Silicon Valley
Founder / Head Programmer
• Conceptualized, developed and implemented festival to showcase short films from around the world.
• Develop and write programs to accommodate tours to non-traditional viewing venues
2001 - Present Cinequest Film Festival San Jose, CA
Volunteer Shorts Programmer/Theatre Manager
• Work with Head Shorts Programmer to develop annual programs; moderate and lead Q&A sessions.
• Develop and deliver Critics for a Day education program to 150 4th graders annually
2002 -2006, 2009 Sonoma Valley Film Festival Sonoma, CA
Volunteer Ringmaster Announced shorts programs and led Q&A sessions.
1993 National Museum of American Art Washington, D.C.
Researched new acquisitions: The Death of Ruben Salazar & Cesar Chavez Altar
EDUCATION & AWARDS
1997 Emerson College Boston, MA
BFA Writing, Literature & Publishing, Minor in Art History
1996-97 - Student Government Vice-President
1994-1996 - CFO Student Senate
Co-Founder/Publicist/Head Writer, the Emerson Wrestling Network
2011, 2015: Winner Hugo Award for Best Fanzine
2007-2020: Nominated Hugo Award for Best Fanzine
2010: Nova Award for Best Fanzine
2007-2013: Nominated Hugo Award for Best Fan Writer