KARANBIR SINGH AULAKH, PhD
Research Associate Biochemistry Molecular Biophysics Cell/ Molecular Biology
: +91-959******* : email@example.com LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/karanaulakh PROFILE
A highly motivated and agile scientist with knowledge of crops, biofuels, lipids biochemistry, Cancer Genetics seeking positions as a Research Associate or Plant Geneticist / Biochemist Scientist. Ph.D. holder with a thesis on Transcriptomic and lipidomic profiling in developing seeds of two Brassicaceae species to identify key regulators associated with storage oil synthesis. Adept at facilitating the efficient and timely progression of R&D projects according to agreed budgets and milestones through the practical application of scientific expertise and project leadership skills. Proficient at identifying and applying new technologies and innovations to update the capabilities of the analytical development laboratory. With great attention to detail, good laboratory practice and maintenance of a high degree of accuracy while working in high throughput keen to grow as a scientific researcher, learn new techniques and adopt new technologies for process improvements. AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Knowledge of bioinformatics tools including CLC genomics workbench (QIAGEN) for Next-generation Sequencing and RNA-Seq data analysis. Other tools include BLAST, and secondary structure prediction using NCBI tools, primer designing, multiple sequence alignment (ClustalW), contig assembly and alignment in sequencing
Knowledge of DNA and protein isolation, PCR amplified product elution from Agarose gels, RNA isolation, Quantitation of DNA & RNA, Agarose gel electrophoresis, Native PAGE / SDS-PAGE / 2-D PAGE and Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) / RT- PCR, Restriction enzyme digestion, cloning, sequencing.
Knowledge of analytical instruments including Gas Chromatography with Flame-Ionization Detection (GC-FID) and Tandem mass spectrometry (MS-MS).
Well versed with Silver staining (Proteins and DNA), Peptide extraction from PAGE/reconstitution of extracted peptides, Polyclonal Ab generation in rabbit/rat, and Western Immunoblotting.
Proficient in Tissue sectioning, H&E staining, Protein purification using Affinity Chromatography, Single-stranded conformation polymorphism (SSCP), RFLP, Southern and Northern blotting, Luminescence assay and X-ray film development.
Biochemical tests: Lipidogram (Total Cholesterol, LDL, HDL, Triglycerides), Total protein, Urea, creatinine, Total blood sugar (fasting / post-prandial), Isolation of lymphocytes from whole blood samples, ELISA. Protein purification (Ni-Column) and extraction.
Sound understanding of Polytene Chromosomes preparation, Metaphase Chromosomes preparation, Barr body Demonstration, FISH / GISH on wheat chromosomes for identification of unknown deletions. AWARDS / ACCOLADES
• Awarded the International Phytotechnologies Scholar 2015 at the 12th International Phytotechnology conference held at Hilton Garden Inn, Manhattan, Kansas, the USA dated September 27-30, 2015.
• 2nd prize in the poster competition held at the 12th International Phytotechnology conference held at Hilton Garden Inn, Manhattan, Kansas, the USA dated September 27-30, 2015.
• Accredited as Departmental representative for 2002-2004 session with responsibilities of conducting departmental seminars, clinical rounds for PGIMER, Chandigarh, educational trips to various prestigious institutes in India including TIFR
(Tata Institute of Fundamental Research) and TMH (Tata Memorial Hospital), Mumbai, India.
• Vice-President of “Genome club” of National Centre for Human Genome Studies and Research, Pharmacy Extension block, Panjab University, Chandigarh.
Biochemistry Lipids Molecular Biophysics
Genetics Molecular Cloning Genomics
Cell Biology Molecular Biology Bioinformatics
Sequencing Analysis Statistics for Biological Sciences Gas Chromatography Mass spectroscopy (MS) Plant microbe interactions Training & Development PUBLICATION
Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences, 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sjbs.2019.12.036 acetyltransferase (EaDAcT) gene. Ijaz Naeema, Iqbal Munira, Mian Afaq Ahmeda, Timothy Durrettb, Karanbir Singh Aulakhb. Feasible regeneration and agro bacterium-mediated transformation of Brassica juncea with Euonymus alatus diacylglycerol Plant Physiology Journal, 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.19.00600 The plastid lipase PLIP1 is critical for seed viability in Arabidopsis dgat1 mutant seed. Karanbir S Aulakh, Timothy P Durrett,
• Project Assistant, Institute of Microbial Technology (IMTECH), Chandigarh 2005 – 2006
• Jr. Research Fellow, National Centre for Human Genomics and Research (NCHGSR), Panjab University, India 2006 PREVIOUS EMPLOYMENT ENGAGEMENTS
complications including Retinopathy and Nephropathy. replication, DNA transcription, RNA translation, post-translational protein modifications, Diabetes and related
• Delivered Lectures to postgraduate students of Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research on DNA Telomere probe followed by exposure and development of signals on X-ray film.
• Restriction digestion of genomic DNA, Southern transfer onto Nylon membrane, probing with Digexonin (DIG) labeled
• Separation of Peripheral Blood Monocyte Cell (PBMC) population from whole blood followed by genomic DNA isolation. Diabetic and Diabetic patients enrolled in the study.
• Conducted insulin fasting test (ELISA) and calculation of Insulin resistance, Insulin sensitivity, Beta-cell function for Non- Lipidogram, Urea, Creatinine, BUN, Total protein, Matrix Metalloproteinases, Remnant Lipoproteins.
• Conducted diagnostic test for subjects enrolled in the study; diagnostic tests include Haemoglobin, HbA1C, Glucose,
• Collected patient history, blood sample, and preservation from patients with Diabetic retinopathy.
- To Study the prognostic value of Telomere length and Telomerase activity in Diabetic Retinopathy. Senior Research Fellow (SRF), Chandigarh
Advanced Eye Centre, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) Sep 2006 – Jun 2008
• Contributed to the generation of the genetic and physical map for 3A and 1,4,6 D chromosomes of Wheat.
• Validated the integrity of deletion lines using Short Sequence Repeat (SSR) markers.
- BAC fingerprinting from chromosome 3A and 1,4,6D chromosomes of wheat
- Characterization of DH chromosome deletion lines (Wheat) Project
Graduate Research Assistant (GRA), Manhattan, Kansas, USA Interdepartmental Genetics program, Dept of Plant Pathology, Kansas State University Jan 2009 – Jul 2011 waxy wheat flour upon heat treatment.
• Observed increase in disordered changes in the crystalline structure of starch molecules in soft wheat flour relative to soft
- Comparison of Oil binding affinity of heat-treated Soft waxy wheat flour with that of soft wheat flour Project
Graduate Research Assistant (GRA), Manhattan, Kansas, USA Department of Grain Science and Industry, Kansas State University Aug 2011 – Apr 2012 oral examination.
• Delivered and organized research presentations for weekly group meetings, departmental seminars, and thesis defense including the purchase of necessary supplies, and reorganization and maintenance of chemical inventory
• Maintained and operated laboratory equipment and instruments Provided recommendations for laboratory operations,
• Managed multiple projects and collaborated with other graduate students on synthetic & characterization work metabolism.
• Developed valuable resource for other scientists interested in the relationship between seed development and lipid work to better elucidate the complex flux of fatty acids from the plastid into storage lipids
• Identified novel and more specific insights into the role of PLIP1 in TAG biosynthesis in developing seeds enabling future implicated in FA synthesis, acyl editing, and TAG biosynthesis and metabolism.
- Differential expression (DE) analysis for homoeologous genes from A and B subgenomes of allopolyploid species B. juncea of Arabidopsis thaliana.
- Identification of key components in the regulation of storage lipid biosynthesis in developing seeds of the dgat1-1 line Project
Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) and Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA), Manhattan, Kansas, USA Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Kansas State University May 2012 – Oct 2018 RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
• Science quiz in “Helixomania- celebrating 50 years of discovery of double helix of DNA” organized by Department of Biotechnology, Panjab University, Chandigarh.
• Scientific play in “Helixomania- celebrating 50 years of discovery of double helix of DNA” organized by Department of Biotechnology, Panjab University, Chandigarh.
• Biotoon competition in “Helixomania- celebrating 50 years of discovery of double helix of DNA” organized by Department of Biotechnology, Panjab University, Chandigarh.
• “International Society for Heart Research” organized by Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh from February 29 – March 02, 2008.
• “International Conference on Medical and Community Genetics” organized by Department of Hematology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh from February 15 – 17, 2008.
• “1st Chandigarh Science Congress” organized by Panjab University, Chandigarh from March 10 - 11, 2008.
• “30th All India Cell Biology Conference and Symposium” organized by Department of Zoology, Delhi University from February 02 – 04, 2007.
• "31st All India Cell Biology Conference & Symposium", 2006 held at Delhi University, New Delhi.
• “28th All India Cell Biology Conference and Symposium” organized by National Centre for Human Genome Studies and Research, Panjab University from December 01 – 03, 2004 ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Doctor of Philosophy in Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Kansas State University 2018
• Master of Science in Human Genomics, National Centre for Human Genomics and Research, Panjab University 2004
• Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences, Punjab University 2002 Certifications
• Basic Introduction to Biosafety, Dept of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Kansas State University 2017
• Dual Use Research of Concern, Dept of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Kansas State University 2017
• NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant DNA Molecules, Kansas State University 2014
• Biosecurity - Dual-Use - Synthetic Biology, Kansas State University 2014
• Gene Expression Analysis Workshop, Kansas State University 2013
• Microarray Workshop, Kansas State University 2012
• Certificate in Web Designing & Documentation 2008 Professional Membership
• Member of American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) OTHER SKILLS
Bioinformatics Skills: MS Office Suite, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, GraphPad Prism (Statistical software), Gene Mapping tool IciMapping, Sequence alignment editor- BioEdit Windows and Mac-based named CLC Genomics workbench (QIAGEN) for Bioinformatic analysis including Next generation sequencing analysis, Resequencing and variant analysis, Epigenomics, Biomedical Genomics, Metagenomics, De novo assembly, RNA-Seq and Transcriptomics.
Windows-based Metaboanalyst software for statistical, functional, and integrative analysis of metabolomics data including RNA-Seq data and Lipid data (Neutrolipid and Phospholipid lipid species) Language Skills: English, Hindi : Proficient, Punjabi: Native List of references
Dr. Timothy Durrett
Department of Biochemistry and Moleclar Biophysics Kansas State University
Dr. Ruth Welti
University Distinguished Professor
Department of Biology
Kansas State University
Dr. Kathrin Schrick
Department of Biology
Kansas State University