RACHEL DEDMAN SHORES
Austin, Texas 78752
Dedman Shores Law, PLLC, Austin, Texas
Managing Attorney, July 2018 - Present
• Represent clients in commercial litigation, including breach of contract and con- struction disputes.
• Revise and edit clients’ contracts.
• Advise clients on a variety of employment law issues, including work schedules and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), leave policies and the Family and Med- ical Leave Act (FLMA), and employment termination practices.
• Negotiate settlements.
Hanna & Plaut, LLP, Austin, Texas
Attorney, September 2017 - July 2018
• Served as defense attorney on behalf of insurance carriers and their insureds in- volved in personal injury or property damage litigation.
• Represented insurance carriers in bad faith and other litigation.
• Developed strategy and approach for each case; performed each stage of litiga- tion.
• Prepared formal reports for insurance adjustors discussing the background of each case and proposed strategy; communicated with insurance adjusters regularly re- garding progress of each case.
• Communicated with clients regarding status of their cases, including in Spanish when needed.
Texas Association of School Boards (TASB), Austin, Texas Attorney, September 2011 - June 2017
• Provided advice on complex and sensitive legal issues, including employment law, governmental law, administrative law, constitutional law, contract law, and construction and procurement issues to all school board members, administrators, and lawyers for Texas Independent School Districts (ISDs).
• Provided legal training presentations to Texas ISD board members, administra- tors, and lawyers at conferences multiple times per year around the State of Texas
(see below for list of presentations and publications).
• Reviewed Texas ISD policies and provided guidance on the legality of the poli- cies; drafted and edited policies for TASB’s Regulations Resource Manual.
• Reviewed new legislation and advised regarding its impact on Texas ISDs.
• Wrote, edited, and published newsletter discussing cases affecting Texas ISDs. Resume - Dedman Shores - 1 !
Strasburger & Price, LLP, (now known as Clark Hill, PLC) Dallas, Texas Specialty Litigation Associate, October 2009-September 2011 Summer Associate, May 2008-July 2008
• Represented and advised Texas Independent School Districts and other govern- mental bodies; assisted school district with termination of teacher’s Chapter 21 contract mid-year and subsequent litigation brought by employee, including ob- taining summary judgment regarding teacher’s claims filed in federal district court.
• Assisted with review of accreditation requirements and certain policies for Dallas Community College District.
• Represented workers’ compensation insurance carriers at administrative hearings.
• Performed tasks for litigation at all stages, including depositions and hearings.
• Prepared briefs for cases on appeal.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
To Pray or Not to Pray: Boards Should Consult Legal Counsel Regarding Prayer at Meetings, Texas Lone Star Magazine, May 2015, pp. 22-27.
‘One School Board, Under God…’? Conflicting Court Decisions Muddle Issue of Prayer at Board Meetings, Texas Lone Star Magazine, November 2012, pp. 18-21. Presentations
OMA for AG Credit (School Law Basics Part II), Friday, September 28, 2012, Texas Association of School Administrators/Texas Association of School Boards (TASA/TASB) Convention 2012, Austin Convention Center
Admissions and Attendance, Saturday, September 29, 2012, TASA/TASB Convention 2012, Austin Convention Center
Legal Duties of the Board President, Friday, September 27, 2013, TASA/TASB Convention 2013, Dallas Convention Center
Student Controversies: Social Media Scandals to Religious Rights at Schools, Friday, September 27, 2013, TASA/TASB Convention 2013, Dallas Convention Center 4 Corners: Governance from All Angles, Friday, September 26, 2014, TASA/TASB Convention 2014, Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center, Dallas Resume - Dedman Shores - 2 !
TASB ISD: Open Meetings Act Basics (School Law Basics Part 2), Saturday, September 27, 2014, TASA/TASB Convention 2014, Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center, Dallas Also presented on various legal topics throughout 2012-2017 as part of TASB’s Summer Leader- ship Institute, TASB’s Governance Camp, TASB’s Spring Workshops, and TASB Legal Services’ Fall Seminars.
State Bar of Texas, 2009
University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
J.D., May 2009
TEXAS INTERNATIONAL LAW JOURNAL, Member
• Susman Godfrey Moot Court Competition, Quarter-Finalist, Spring 2008
• Gardere Mock Trial Competition, Fall 2006
• Board of Advocates Member
Hendrix College, Conway, Arkansas
Bachelor of Arts in Spanish with Distinction, Magna cum Laude, May 2005
• Member of Phi Beta Kappa
• Recipient of the Claude Award (recognizes achievement in international studies)
• Section Editor and Journalist for college newspaper, The Profile
• Student Chair of the Curriculum Committee
• Student Representative of the International Student Committee Oxford University, Oxford, England
Completed Studies in Ancient Chinese History and Environmental Philosophy September-December 2003
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ASSOCIATIONS
Texas Young Lawyers Association
Austin Bar Association
Junior League of Austin, Active Member 2011-Present INTERESTS
Classical ballet, movies, Spanish, dogs, reading, writing Resume - Dedman Shores - 3 !