San Francisco Bay, CA 513-***-**** email@example.com www.linkedin.com/in/virajchavan Mission
Mechanical Designer and Product Development Engineer Supporting the end-to-end mechanical product design and engineering of automation systems while improving the manufacturing processes based on lean six sigma methodologies. Skills
• Designing mechanical system parameters and building processes to improve systems performance and accuracy, as well as building techno-functional specs for industrial automation equipment and electro-mechanical systems.
• Supporting cross-functional engineering teams in mechanical systems integration projects, while interacting with contract manufacturers and vendors to solve manufacturability problems and implement design change notices.
• Solving product development issues associated to Design for Manufacturability (DFM) and Design for Assembly
(DFA) through statistical tolerance analysis techniques, functional geometric dimensioning & tolerancing (GD&T).
• Managing projects and the transfer of product designs to production environments, and ensuring that the organization develops high quality, market ready products, and delivers them in a timely and on-budget manner.
• Providing mechanical design support to product engineering and automation teams, through 2D & 3D Modeling and Simulation tools such as SolidWorks, Catia, Autodesk Inventor, AutoCAD, PTC Creo, Pro E, ANSYS and MATLAB. Experience
Lydall, Greensboro, NC [May 2018 – Present]
We design and manufacture specialty engineered filtration solutions, automotive thermal barriers and acoustical products tailored for the transportation sector and machinery with metal stamped parts and thermally shield sensitive components. Mechanical Engineer – I’m responsible for designing process improvement initiatives in order to ensure equipment efficiency and production uptime while helping the design team develop industrial hardware devices & integrated sensors.
• Improved equipment effectiveness of the stamping manufacturing line by 22%, by using lean process control tools.
• Saved the company $250K in capital cost through equipment redesign, value engineering & value analysis efforts.
• Redesigned the manufacturing line and machinery layout to create an opportunity to utilize IoT devices & sensors.
• Supported cross-functional engineering teams in developing FMEA for 300 new product introductions & launches.
• Successfully designed new equipment and machine specifications to launch a preventive maintenance program. Air India [Summer 2015]
India’s national airline providing domestic and international air transport services for both passengers and cargo shipping. Mechanical Engineering Intern – I was responsible for the analysis, quality and reliability of the aircrafts’ mechanical parts.
• Supported the mechanical system quality checks in aircrafts such as Boeing 747-400, B777-200LR and B777-300LR.
• Conducted component quality, durability, stress, FEA analyses of fuselage & control surfaces using NDT methods. Mahindra Accelo [Summer 2014]
Operating India’s largest steel service centers providing steel solutions for automotive, power and home appliance sectors. Mechanical Engineering Intern – I was responsible for implementing quality improvement and lean six sigma strategies.
• Redesigned a pneumatic press jig which reduced a bottleneck and led to 47% reduction in production cycle times.
• Implemented lean principles (5S, Kaizen) and improved equipment effectiveness in the stamping process by 25%. Education
• Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, GPA 3.83, Dec 2017
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, University of Mumbai, Mumbai, India, GPA 4.0, May 2016 o Design Project: Portable Thermoelectric Waste Heat Recovery System. o Top 5 Finalist for Young Innovators Award by the Indian Government.