Dr. Girish Kumar Agrawal
***-*, ********* *****, ****. Bombay Hospital, Indore 452 010
Ph.D. (Strategy- IIT Bombay), MBA (Finance) B.E. (Mechanical)
Thesis- ‘Some aspects of resource advantages in Indian Corporate Sector’
-Thesis commended for path breaking work in Resource based theory by examiner, Dr. Jay Barney, USA and leading RBV theorist
Founder, 3 Cube Analytics and Strategy Solutions (www.3cubestrategy.com)
3Immediate Past Positions
July 2017- Aug. 2019 Professor (Strategy and Entrepreneurship) and Associate Dean (Academics), Jaipuria Institute of Management Indore India
June 2009- July 2017 Professor, Institute of Rural Management Anand (Gujarat)- Strategy and Policy Area
Since 2015 Member, Board of Governors, Xavier Institute of Development Action and Studies, Jabalpur
Honorary Positions (Past)
Member, Technical Committee, ‘Standards and Labeling Program for Diesel Engine driven Monoset pumps for Agricultural Purposes’ set up by Bureau of Energy Efficiency, Ministry of Power, Government of India
Member, Advisory Board of Aga Khan Rural Support Program (India) initiative for ‘Entrepreneurship Development Project for Tribal Youth of Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat’
Fellowship in Leadership Association
Founding Fellow, Aspire Circle (www.aspirecircle.org)
Activities in different Roles
1. Role as Associate Dean in Jaipuria Institute of Management Indore
Nominated to Apex body (OBE Champions) of 4 campuses leadership team spearheading outcome based education initiatives.
Launched several academic excellence initiatives targeted towards
• ensuring better student engagement and learning thru innovative pedagogical tools
• initiatives in faculty development and enhancing research/ publication profile
• Prepared academic budget aligned with Institute strategy
• Streamlining functioning of program administration, examination scheduling and records
2. Role as Professor and Head (Centre for Rural Infrastructure and Corporate Social Responsibility- Center of Excellence) in Institute of Rural Management Anand, Gujarat
• Wrote charter for establishment of four Centers of Excellence
• Coordinated signing of MoU with Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India for grant funds utilization
• Wrote Charter of establishment for Centre for Rural Infrastructure and Corporate Social Responsibility
• Signed MoU with Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs, Government of India for jointly offering the training program under newly enacted provisions for CSR in 2013 in The Indian Companies Act, 1935
• Conceptualized, negotiated, facilitated and signed MoU with Fullerton India Limited (www.fullertonindia.com) for long term training program for working executives of the firm. Executed the Training Program as In-charge for first cycle in innovative Webinar and Classroom mode
• Negotiated and facilitated signing of MoU between IRMA and Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF) for 1500 man-days of Management Development Programs for Dairy Development for personnel of affiliated dairy cooperatives
• Negotiated, and finalized Management Development Programs to train dairy personnel from Milk Unions and Federation with National Cooperative Dairy Federation of India, Anand for nearly 800 man-days of MDPs during March -June 2016, Developed program design and successfully coordinated 5 programs with nearly 500 man-days of revenue
• Represented IRMA in several meetings with various Ministries of Government of India including consultative committee for continuation of PM-IADP, Committee for CSR awards (2019) etc.
• Invited by CRISIL India Ltd, Mumbai as Jury Member for annual award event for member's CSR initiatives of National Association of Confederation of Real Estate Developers' Association of India (CREDAI-11500 developers across 23 states and 156 city chapters) in Mumbai (Dec 9, 2016)
• Organized a first ever roundtable conference in IRMA on Corporate Social Responsibility involving participation from Private and Public sector industry, Government Ministries, Planning Commission, Non-Government Organizations with 70 percent funding from sponsors (Oil and Natural Gas Commission, Banks and Private Sector Organizations) in 2014.
• Delivered a ‘AFRE Brown Bag Seminar’ in Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics, Michigan State University, Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture On ‘Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) – A 3.3 Billion Dollar Problem in India on June 9, 2014
• Visited University of Michigan, Ross School of Business in Ann Arbor (June, 2014) and established contacts with research team at William Davidson Institute. A joint workshop on impact assessment methodology was initiated with Performance Management Initiative, William Davidson Institute, in October/December 2016
• Restructured and reorganized the MDP office, streamlining databases, standard operating procedures, work re-distribution and recruitment (2015-16)
• finalized and guided pro-bono consulting assignment with IBM Corporate Services Group, multinational team (2015-16) to address issues related to marketing and segmentation for IRMA MDPs.
3. Educational Background
Ph.D. Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, 2006
M.B.A. (Finance) Institute of Management Studies, Devi Ahilya University, Indore (MP), 1991
B.E. (Mechanical) SGS Institute of Technology and Science, Devi Ahilya University, Indore (MP), 1977
Awarded ‘Best Faculty’ by Chairman, Jaipuria Group of Institutions in Annual Pan Jaipuria Faculty Development Program held in Hotel Rembrandt, Bangkok on April May, 2019
Awarded ‘Thought Leader’ award by Cause-Because, an online media platform in CSR landscape in New Delhi by Shri B. S. Bonal, Addl. Secretary, CZA, MoEF, GoI in May 2014
Best Teacher award by Icfai Business School Alumni Federation, citation and Cash Aawrd of Rs. 50000/-, Indore in 2008
5. Consulting Projects
2016- Principal Advisor, ‘Training needs assessment for senior management of Iranian urban cooperatives’, Commissioned by Iranian Chamber of Cooperatives, Teheran thru International Cooperative Alliance
2012-15 Team Leader- Evaluation study on MGNAREGA in MP and Chhattisgarh, Commissioned by PEO, Planning Commission, Government of India New Delhi.
2012 Member, Technical Committee, ‘Standards and Labeling Program for Diesel Engine driven Monoset pumps for Agricultural Purposes’ set up by Bureau of Energy Efficiency, Ministry of Power, Government of India
2011 Team Member- Sitaram Rao Livelihood India Case Study Competition organized by Access Development Services, New Delhi
2011-12 Team Member - Study of enabling models of Microfinance and Social capital for sustainable development for International Alternative Financial Institutions-India, (INAFI)
2010 Team Member - Market Strategy and Product Development for Rajasthan Cooperative Dairy Federation, Jaipur
2010 Principal Investigator- Performance evaluation of Energy Efficient pump sets under Government of Gujarat Plan for Uttar Gujrat Viz Company Limited (Subsidy Outlay over Re. 5 Billion
2010: Team Member - Identification and evaluation of Non-Government Organizations engaged in empowering Women in Governance Roles for Edelgive Foundation Awards 2010
6. Published Papers in Journals/ Others
Agrawal, G. (2019). MGNREGA-Design Failure, Implementation failure or both?, Management and Labor Studies, 44 (4) 349-368.
Mitra, S. & Agrawal, G. K. (2008). Webdunia.com-Beating the downturn. Asian Case Research Journal, 12 (1), 29-55.
Sadh, A. & Agrawal, G. K. (2006). Jet mat: Brand Valuation. The ICFAI Journal of Mergers and Acquisitions, III (I), 58-73.
Mitra, S. & Agrawal, G. K. (2004). Issues in outsourcing: Case of Indian Automobile Ancillary Industry. Indian Journal of Economics and Business, Special Is, 169-185.
Agrawal, G. K. & Rajasekar, J. (2003). ABC Limited (Agricultural and Domestic Pumps Division. Vikalpa, 28 (4), 93-107.
Agrawal, G. K. (2001). PCCL Limited. Vikalpa, 26 (2), 74-76.
Agrawal, G. K. (2015) Comment on ‘Responsibility for third world factory: limits of Eurocentric CSR and making room for the state’. Decision, 42 (1), 83-85
In Newspaper Articles or Columns
2015- ‘Kaise bana nakamiyon ka smarak’ published in Naidunia Newspaper, March 16, 2015
2014-‘Badalate daur me bazaar ki chunotiyan’ published in Naidunia Newspaper, Nov 27, 2014
2013- ‘Vikas aur Vinnash ke beech ka rasta’, published in Naidunia Newspaper, Nov 13, 2013
2008 - 'Governance Vrs. Market Efficiency battle': Reliance Fresh, Big Bazar Vs. Vendors, Retailers', published in DNA Money Newspaper, May 28, 2008
2008 - 'The IIM Fees hike and Institutional Failures', published in DNA Money newspaper, May 6, 2008
7. Teaching Experience
Aug 2017- 2019 Associate Dean and Professor (Strategy and Entrepreneurship), Jaipuria Institute of Management Indore
Feb 2015- July 2017 Professor, General Management (Strategy and Policy), IRMA
Area Coordinator (General Management and Strategy), Center Coordinator (CRI-CSR), MDP Coordinator, OTS-VFS Coordinator, Hostel Warden
Jan 2006 – May 2009 Faculty in Strategy Area, ICFAI Business School Indore, MP.
Academic Coordinator, Research Group Coordinator
Jan 2001 –Jan 2006 Academic Fellow, Indian Institute of Management Indore
1999 - 2000 Visiting Faculty, International Institute of Professional Studies, D. A. University, Indore, MP (Production/Operations Management)
1992 – 1996 Visiting Faculty, Institute of Management Studies, D. A. University, Indore, MP (Production/Operations Management, Project Management, Purchasing and Materials Management)
8. Refereed Conference Proceedings
Presentation of Papers in International Conferences
Agrawal, G and B. Lalfam (2016). ‘Inclusive Growth and Cooperative Governance- Challenges and possible directions’ presented in 11th ICA Asia Pacific Regional Cooperative Research Conference at Hotel Ashoka, New Delhi on 15th November
Agrawal, Girish (2015). ‘CSR-CFP relationship in India- an idiosyncratic PESTEL context and research agenda’, presented at GSCSR-2015 organized by IIM Raipur and IICA New Delhi in New Dehi on May 15, 2015
Agrawal, Girish (2014), “Group Affiliation Advantage: Policy Favors, Market Imperfections and Internal Capital Market”, Presented at AABRI International Conference, Hawaii (http://www.aabri.com/HC2014Manuscripts/HC14041.pdf on June 13,2014 organized by Academic and Business Research Institute, USA.
Delivered Brown Bag Seminar on ‘CSR in India: a $ 3.3 Billion Problem’ to faculty in Michigan State University, East Lancing, USA on June 9, 2014.
Agrawal, G. & Joshi, R. (2009, February). Sonic Biochem Extractions Ltd. Presented at Second Asian Invitational Conference on Family Business, Indian School of Business Hyderabad, India.
Agrawal, G. K., Jain, K., & Ramaswamy, K. V. (2006). Resource Market Preemption by Group Affiliated Firms in India. Fourth Annual JIBS Conference on Emerging Research Frontiers in International Business, Academy of International Business.
Agrawal, G. K. (2002). Strategic Valuation of firms for Merger/ Acquisition using Game Theory insights. Mergers & Acquisitions summit, Calgary, Canada, Strategic Management Society.
Presentation of Papers in National Conferences
Joshi, R. & Agrawal, G. (2008). Sustainable Business Model in Face of Negative Externalities. Good & Green: Revisiting Business for Sustainable Future, IBS Goa.
2014- ‘CSR- The Road Ahead’ – at Institute of Rural Management Anand on March 24-25, to identify issues, challenges and roadmap for CSR implementation as legislated in The Companies Act, 2013.
The 2 days round table had successful participation from Government (Planning Commission and MoRD), PSEs, Private Sector, NGOs and Academia
2007 - Workshop on 'How to get Published in International Refereed Business Journals' - Faculty Prof Om Gupta, Prairie View A&M University, Texas, USA
9. Management Development Programs (New Programs designed and conducted)
2016- Strengthening Dairy Cooperative leadership
2016- Strengthening Dairy Cooperative leadership and organizational excellence
2015-16 Long term certificate program for working executives of Fullerton India
2015- Improving Organizational Performance in CSR domain
2014- Strategic CSR
2014- Strategy implementation by Balance Score Card
2012- ‘PERT/CPM techniques’ for Central Power Research Institute Banglore
2010- PERT/ CPM techniques
2010 Gearing for competitive Challenges- Making organizations more efficient’
2001- Strategies for meeting competition against low cost producers
10. Conference Invitation Speaker/ Panelist
2017 Jan - Invited as Jury for case study competition of national finals of Business Games organized by ONGC for ONGC officers (12 teams of 4 each) in ONGC Vadodara on Jan 3, 2017
2016 Dec - Invited for Panel discussion on ‘Combating Agrarian Distress’ in II Annual conference on ‘Rural Livelihood and Sustainability’ organized by Axis Bank Foundation in Mumbai at Taj Lands End on Dec 8, covered by CNBC-TV 18 news Channel
2016-Delivered invitational lecture on CSR day celebration on ‘Role & Importance of PSEs in growth story of India’ to top Management team of ONGC at ONGC asset at Cambay, Gujarat on April 16, 2016
2016: Speaker in national conference of Iran Credit Cooperatives on ‘Financing models for Indian cooperatives’, Tehran (May, 2016)
Addressed national conference of Iran Credit Cooperatives, on ‘ financing models for Indian cooperatives’, Tehran
2016-Panel Member in International Conference on Rural Development organized by Xavier Institute of Development Action and Studies, Jabalpur discussion on 'Future of Rural Development Education' (Feb 4-5, 2016)
2016- Keynote Speaker in 'Samhit 2016' Conference on Corporate Social Responsibility organized by 'Nav Rachna University, Vadodara Jan 8, 2016
2015- Panelist and moderator on CSR in Symbiosis School of Banking and Finance, Symbiosis International University, Pune on July 25, 2015
2015- Jury Member (invited by CRISIL India Ltd, Mumbai) for annual award event for member's CSR initiatives of National Association of CREDAI, Mumbai (Dec 9, 2015)
2014- Keynote Speaker and panelist on Seminar on “Changing Dynamics of CSR: Moving from Charity to Responsibility’ organized by Center for Culture and Development, Vadodara on May 20, 2014
2014: Panelists on session on “Strategy for Measuring / Monitoring CSR’ in
International Conference on Sustainable development organized by XIDAS, Jabalpur on March 13-14, 2014
2014- Panelist in conference session on ‘Integrating Community Development in to Business Model’ –organized by CSR Live week in collaboration with The Economic Times and Aditya Birla Group on 27-28 Aug, 2014 in Mumbai.
2013- Panelist on session on ‘Relevance of new amendment and provisions on CSR under section 135 of the Companies Act’ organized by CSR Live week in collaboration with Aditya Birla Group and Reliance Foundation on Nov. 19-20, 2013 in New Delhi
2010- Key Note Speech in conference on ‘Sustainable competitive Advantages: Vision and Challenges’ organized by G. H. Raisoni Institute of Information Technology, Jalgaon
2010- Delivered lecture in ‘energy efficient solution for agriculture’ on invitation by SDAU/ Uttar Gujrat Viz Company Limited in seminar for farmers in Palanpur Gujrat (aug 19)