EDISON NATION SENIOR INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER
October 2014 - Present
Lead Industrial designer for the Edison Nation "As Seen on TV" division. Responsible for the design, development and prototyping of at least 12 consumer products per year.
INNOVATIVE KIDS & SUGAR LULU LEAD INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER September 2013 - September 2014, Norwalk, CT
A key player within a small team of designers focused on creating high-end childrens’ wooden toys, books, lifestyle and jewelry products. Heavy involvement in the entire life-cycle of every new product from brainstorm sketches to mockups, 3D rendering and final review of vendor samples. Responsible for the design, fabrication, coordination and setup of the Sugar Lulu tradeshow booth at Toyfair 2014 - including signage, displays, product placement and custom designed flooring solution.
LAURA ABBOTT DESIGN, LLC. INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER
November 2007 - September 2013, Stamford, CT
Consistently contracted by a wide range of industry-leading companies to contribute industrial design expertise and creative skills.
• Contracted by Robbins Tesar, Inc. to provide design, construction and detailed setup drawings for holiday window installations at AT&T flagship store locations across the country. Worked closely with creative director to oversee all construction and shipping according to strict project timeline. Major involvement in all client and vendor meetings
• Slashed time & costs for the Danbury Mint by generating photo-realistic renderings of high-end jewelry, providing a means to test market interest before physically manufacturing the items. CONAIR CORPORATION INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER
April 2006 - Jan 2008, Stamford, CT
Collaborated with engineering, marketing and fellow design team to brainstorm, design, prototype and provide manufacturing specs for the full spectrum of Conair’s product categories. Heavy focus on Conair and Babyliss hair dryers and straighteners, men’s and women’s shavers, shower radios, lighted mirrors and Weight Watchers bathroom scales. Examined cost parameters, target markets and demographics to produce captivating designs. Achieved “Inventor” status for the Conair
“Pulse Massager” US Patent No. 200********
• Creative concept development including
hand sketching and physical mock-ups
• Advanced 3D modeling & rendering skills.
Creo (Pro Engineer), Rhino, Flamingo
• Rapid Prototyping and SLA prototyping
experience, model-shop experience
• Adobe CC and earlier (including Photoshop,
Illustrator, In Design)
• Advanced fine arts & craft skills including
painting, photography, machine sewing
• PC and Mac platforms
2005, Brooklyn, New York
Bachelor of Industrial Design
High Dean’s List & Presidential Merit Scholarship
DENMARK DESIGN SCHOOL
2005, Copenhagen, Denmark
Scandinavian Glass Design
Summer Immersion program
2001 - 2006, Mount Kisco, NY
Maintained resource libraries,
attended construction site visits,
completed architectural models
and elevation drawings.
Successfully redesigned the
firm’s website including new
graphics and organization of
ROBERT VERDI INC.
2003-2004, New York, NY
Worked directly with company
owner to produce specification
drawings for household items and
furniture for the Discovery Channel’s
“Surprise by Design” television
series. Contributed to design and
setup of a “dining environment” for
Elle Decor’s Dining by Design
National Fundraising Event.
Achievement in Sustainable Design:
The Pratt Institute, May 2005
in Glass Design: Danish International
Study, September 2005