JAMES MULLANEY Y
Senior COBOL Analyst specializing in Development, Data Conversion, and Production Support
needs of the
Key Skills and Knowledge
Database Design and Integration
Domain Expertise & Solutions
Order Processing PEGASYS Connect Inventory Management
Unisys V Series
Unisys A Series
MVS OS JES2
Unisys MCP -CLEARPATH
UNIX Solaris 4.3
Programming Languages & Tools
MVS JES 2
Office Productivity Tools
Microsoft Office Suite
• Developed and maintained A Series UNISYS CLEARPATH, UNISYS 2200, and IBM
390 COBOL application Software, utilizing structured as well as section based programming
• Unisys: COBOL74, COBOL85, ACSII, UCS, TADS, PADS, DMS, DMSII
• IBM: COBOLII, IMS, DB2, XPEDITER, ENDEVOR, FILE-AID, DB2-AID, JES 2,
ISPF, CLISTS, and COMMAND-LEVEL CICS.
• Created over 100 flowcharts utilizing VISIO to document process flows.
• Developed and Presented a series of lectures for the Measurement and Analysis portion of the CMMI
Adaption process utilizing Microsoft PowerPoint.
• Created 18 separate reports in URSA to verify DMSII database contents.
• Was a member of a team utilizing the Agile Methodology
MAXIMUS – Senior COBOL Developer – COBOL Support IRS January 2019 – February 2019
In the process of learning the OS 2200 ECL job control system and awaiting assignment during the shutdown resolutions.
Leidos / Lockheed Martin - Senior COBOL Developer
US Government Procurement, Upgrade Legacy Software 2014-2018
• Developed a series of ad hoc UNISYS COBOL programs that populated new database tables created
to restructure and consolidate database information across multiple sections of the CSM portfolio.
• Identified COBOL logic errors and added new functionality to the FSS-19 and PEGASYS
CONNECT batch COBOL systems while participating in integration testing for both systems.
• Performed Production support for several COBOL systems resulting in diagnosing a bug in the
Unisys COBOL SEARCH ALL structure.
• Diagnosed and alerted the team of critical missing data in the PEGASYS CONNECT look-up tables.
• Made extensive changes to Production JOB statements and COBOL programs associated with JOBS
that provided messaging to key GSA management via email of production run status.
• Maintained the ART (accounts receivable portion of PEGASYS CONNECT) COBOL modules
including the main program that I developed.
• Created and added multiple COBOL KEY files for the Inventory Management and Order
Processing application systems to speed up processing and increase functionality for the
evening batch runs.
• Made extensive use of Database tools and the editor to analyze and update Application software
• Assisted the CSM Division head in hiring new COBOL staff by creating a list of interview questions
for the evaluation process, then interviewing and assessing applicants.
• Developed 35 new COBOL programs and modified 124 existing COBOL programs during this time
Booz Allen Hamilton – COBOL Consultant
US Government Procurement, Upgrade Legacy Software 2009-2014
• Developed 30 UNISYS COBOL programs in a one year period that functioned as search tools to find
key data in Order Processing sequential files and represent the findings directly back to the user.
• Created the ART portion of the PEGASYS CONNECT system using documentation and
input from the business line. The main module was over 7,600 lines of COBOL unresolved and
13,000 COBOL lines resolved.
• Identified the Root Cause of COBOL data errors coming into the PEGASYS CONNECT system
from 4 external sources, a system that employed over 20 different file formats.
• Recognized by Booz Allen Management for top writing skills. Tasked with creating performance
evaluations for outstanding Booz Allen performers by providing input for salary adjustments for
employees on multiple Booz Allen Contracts.
• Awarded for outstanding achievement in COBOL software development in 2010 and 2012.
• Mentored/coached COBOL developers.
• Developed 55 new COBOL programs and modified 45 existing COBOL programs during this time.
Unisys – COBOL Consultant
US Government Procurement, Upgrade Legacy Software 2002-2009
• Redesigned several UNISYS COBOL online programs to utilize KEY files and internal table
processing to give users the ability to look up a single record, a group of records, or a whole section of
records based on providing a full or partial key.
• Replaced KEY files with Database structures in over 75 COBOL programs to provide audit, backup,
and restoration capability to key data.
• Participated in strategic planning and brain storming sessions with management at Reston.
• Developed 18 programs in proprietary software to assist users in database searches.
• Upgraded legacy COBOL software using third party software to eliminate “dead” code.
• Developed over 50 new COBOL programs and modified over 200 existing COBOL programs during
County of San Bernardino – COBOL Programmer Analyst
Payroll and Social Services – Supporting payment and Audit functions 1999-2002
• Supported the County’s Payroll System that was converted from an IBM COBOL 390 IMS
Mainframe system to An Oracle based PeopleSoft COBOL system.
• Developed 5 programs utilizing Oracle SQL commands to verify the accuracy of employee
totals. Ran the daily batch and wrote extract programs against the database.
• Supported the Social Services System implemented on an IBM 390 mainframe utilizing JES
2, DB2, IMS DB/DC, IMS DL/I, ISPF, COBOLII, COMMAND-LEVEL CICS, XPEDITER,
ENDEVOR, FILE- AID, DB2-AID, IBM ASSEMBLER, and QMF.
• Provided on-call COBOL production support nights and weekends for batch processing and online
support during the day.
• Maintained and developed programs written in a third party software language created by
• Developed 6 new IMS programs, 10 DB2 programs and modified 30 existing COBOL programs
during this time.
City of Riverside – COBOL Programmer Analyst II/Lead Developer Finance and Payroll/Personnel
• Created a large 8,000 line UNISYS COBOL program to port all payroll data from the V in-house system
to an A Series Payroll COBOL package.
• Created an enterprise W2 process for a packaged COBOL Payroll system that only had the ability to
print one W2 record at a time.
• Created a name Conversion algorithm for a Public Utilities COBOL conversion project from a V
Series to A Series that saved hundreds of hours of time in manual corrections.
• Redesigned the main Purchasing online COBOL entry screen so that records could be viewed last in
first out. Making the online lookups 30% faster.
• Designed and developed an in-house W2 form using ordinary paper, a COBOL program(I wrote), and a
Xerox copy machine to eliminate purchased W2 forms. Cut printing costs by 55%.
• Converted all the Purchasing database files into a single hierarchical file that could be loaded into a
SYSBASE database. Saving 100’s of hours of manual entry.
• Converted all payroll files from a Unisys DMSII database to a SYSBASE system using a 5,000+
line COBOL program.
• Created 50 COBOL browse programs in the space of 37 days to enable the payroll and HR Departments
to verify all changes that took place during conversion.
• Made extensive changes to the Business License COBOL online software which allowed the System’s
life to be extended another 8 years, saving my employer over 50,000 dollars.
• Developed over 450 new COBOL programs and modified over 650 COBOL existing programs during
Transamerica Financial Services MIS – Supervisor of Change Control/Configuration Management
• Recompiled all COBOLII and DYL280 load modules, verifying test results for accuracy prior to
Software being moved to production on a 3081 and 3083 IBM Mainframe utilizing JES 2 MVS.
• Coordinated all application software changes with multiple software development teams.
• Tracked all software changes in a FOCUS database.
• Utilized PANVALET commands and CLISTS to retrieve, remove, or promote software to the
appropriate staging library.
MA, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA BA, University of California, Riverside, CA
Additional coursework: ITIL Foundation Certification, Agile, CMMI, SCRUM, and Total Quality Management