JOHN E. VALDEZ
Seeking a challenging Unix/Linux or DevOps operations role where my skills, experience, and education can be utilized to our mutual benefit.
Hadoop / DevOps Contractor 9/2017 to present
Currently with CACl, Inc.; previously with Taos, Inc.
- Active Public Trust clearance
- Linux Hadoop Administration of entire big data stack
- Data migration of petabyte scale hadoop cluster to AWS S3
- Setup EMR cluster using Cloudformation or aws cli
- Documentation of all work
- Mentoring and cross-training peers during “brown bag lunch” training sessions
- AWS work in company’s hybrid (cloud and hosted datacenter) infrastructure
- Tools used: Ansible, puppet, vagrant, docker, terraform
- Build out applications in AWS; automate using command-line tool (aws cli, boto/3)
- Setup alerting and monitoring for all applications and servers
- Work with developers (running test jobs, making sure jobs run)
- Participate in data architecture and review processes, including planning and monitoring efforts, reviewing deliverables
- Setup various hadoop environments (test, staging, production expansion)
- On-going support for various hadoop environments; mysql (metastore) backups, security, tuning
- On call support
MZ (Machine Zone), Palo Alto, CA 10/2016 to 11/2017
- Responsible for the day to day Linux operations and support of Hadoop (HDP & MapR) & nix environments
- Linux administration duties (storage, upgrade application, network monitoring, installations, etc.)
- Handle operations duties of Big Data data pipeline (Kafka, ELK, Storm)
- Build out and maintenance of development, staging, and production environments
- Other supported environments: AWS (EMR) and GC (long-running jobs)
- Hadoop cluster setup, upgrades of clusters, and application support
- Work with several development teams on big data jobs issues
- Handle (agile) Product Owner responsibilities of the Big Data, Vertica, and pipeline teams
- Participate in on-call rotation
Big Data, nix Administrator
Taos, San Jose, CA 1/2014 to 10/2016
- Daily hadoop and Unix administrator tasks surrounding 2 CDH 5.2.x clusters & MapR 4.x
- Build out of small, big, to huge Hadoop clusters
- Hadoop Cluster infrastructure setup, software installation, upgrades
- Provide system administration and technical assistance to internal customer base and partners
- Participate in testing of new and updated products and provide feedback
- Took care of network monitoring setup, tuning, troubleshooting, maintenance
- Work with development team to install components (Hive, Pig, etc.) and manage MapReduce jobs
- Capacity planning of several hadoop clusters as well as NAS storages
- Maintain the availability, performance, and continuity of client’s Big Data (Hadoop) environments
- Day-to-day linux and AWS administration duties
- Some on-call responsibilities
Systems Hadoop Administrator 1/2013 to 12/2013
Webex (Cisco), Santa Clara, CA
- This is primarily an ops centric job with a systems and architecture orientation
- Hadoop Administration duties (installation, configuration, user management, and day to day operations, maintenance, monitoring, and capacity planning); building hadoop clusters and surround hadoop eco-system application(s).
- Use puppet to sync configuration files
- Create extra alerts that worked together with Cloudera Manager alerts
- Participate in overall deployment architecture discussions
- Assist development team with hardware configuration, security issues, etc.
- Installation of development clusters for engineering and QA groups
- Multi, international team collaboration of several cluster uses
- Handle all OS related issues, installations, rebuilds
- Support development and sustaining engineering group
Sr. Linux Administrator 10/2011 to 1/2013
Proofpoint, Sunnyvale, CA
- Administer, setup, and maintain Linux (Centos 5.x, 6.x, ESXi) bare-metal servers and/or virtual machines to be deployed as Hadoop (Apache, CDH3, MapR), Big Data applications, MySQL, or staging/QA servers; working on LAMP stack and Apache Foundation applications.
- Setup monitors and plugins for Nagios to monitor specific checks for deployed servers
- Maintain stringent uptime requirements for external-facing environment
- Installation of development clusters for engineering and QA groups
- Multi, international team collaboration server farm and cluster use
- Support development and sustaining engineering group for both FISMA and non-federal environments
- Support AWS instances (backup to our datacenter servers)
Hadoop Administrator 11/2010 to 9/2011
eBay, Inc., San Jose, CA
- Hadoop production and development cluster support
- Maintain and build hadoop cluster in Production and Development
- Upgrade Hadoop versions on Petabyte scale clusters
- Installation of software releases, patches of the operating system, third-party utilities with emphasis on overall system security
- Work with other system administrators, NOC and Operations staff to improve the quality of service for end users
- Troubleshoot and determine root cause of system and application issues
- Respond to system problems and user questions in person, via email and via a trouble ticket system
Hadoop / Unix Administrator 7/2009 to 11/2010
LinkedIn, Mountain View, CA
- Primary duties are to setup, configure, rack, and maintain grid (Hadoop) compute cluster (running Solaris 10)
- Other responsibilities are setup and maintenance of development Hadoop environment (running CentOS 5.x Linux)
- Documentation of tasks onto wiki
- Weekly transfer of information to other Systems Administrators
- Participate in off-hours on-call rotation
- Ganglia and nagios setup and monitoring
- Other day-to-day System Administration tasks
Contractor 11/2008 to 7/2009
Lockheed Martin, Mountain View, CA
- Configuration, administration and upgrade of Solaris, FreeBSD, Apple and Linux (Redhat 4, 5.x & CentOS) operating systems, that is part of a constantly growing & scaling environment.
- Cluster environment setup, administration, and maintenance.
- Setup networking installation (jumpstart & kickstart) servers for Linux & Solaris (9 & 10).
- FISMA (Sarbanes-Oxley equivalence in the federal government sector) compliance team member. Member of security team that converted a 1,000-node infrastructure to be fully FISMA compliant.
- Backup Windows Administrator: configuration, administration and upgrade of windows operating systems and support workgroups.
- Administer data backup infrastructure (Legato and Veritas Netbackup, moving to Bakbone).
- Storage administration of 10 Netapp filers and generic NAS servers
- Troubleshoot problems and takes appropriate corrective action and communicate with end user population.
- Daily maintenance and problem resolution, OS patches and software upgrades, and routine hardware configurations.
- Installation and OS upgrades of > 300 Linux servers (network kickstart or by image using Clonezilla or Acronis)
- Minor MySQL administration
- Setup Nagios and Cacti to monitor critical services for two buildings/ infrastructures
- Automate and monitor systems UNIX admin tasks by using scripting (shell & Perl)
- Follow change management policies and practices.
- Participate in off-hours on call rotation
- Monitor daily tasks; troubleshoot problems, and performance tuning.
- Develop/maintain UNIX infrastructure, including DNS/NIS/LDAP
IT Manager 5/2007 to 11/2008
SS8 Networks, San Jose, CA
- Set up, maintain, administer, and monitor Solaris/Linux/QNX/Windows systems
- Backup Technical phone support engineering work during times of heavy call volume
- Simulate and reproduce customer setups to check for bugs and verify RFE’s
- Manage and maintain our co-location facility
- Maintain patch level and security updates on critical system
- Create documentation for our storage infrastructure based on common ILM best practices
- Research and evaluate new and emerging technologies
- Debug and troubleshoot network, server, storage (NAS/SAN), desktop, and end-user issues
- Perform and provide on-call 24x7x365 support
- Replace/set up corporate email relay (Sendmail)
- Setup and configure Barracuda spam & malware appliance
- Monitor critical systems using Cacti & Nagios
- Document IT practices; provide mock audits based on 3rd party (KPMG) guidelines
- Took over as IT Manager in my fifth month
- Aside from my managerial tasks, I handled all *nix servers and administration of them
Bachelor of Science, Information Systems Management
University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
Excellent and shall be gladly furnished upon request.