JUSTIN L. SEARCY
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING LEADER
Mechanical engineering leader with over 14 years of experience taking products from concept through production in rapidly changing, fast-paced environments. Thrive under pressure, utilizing strong work ethic to meet aggressive schedules and difficult requirements with little to no room for error. Design expertise in sheet metal, machining, 3-D printing, electronic packaging, cabling, and printed circuit boards. Excellent at identifying strong talent and building high-performance teams. Repeatedly recognized and depended on for ability to manage many projects simultaneously. Hands-on designer, engineer, and manager, skilled at collaborating across company to accomplish common goals. Voracious learner with a passion for complex new challenges.
• SolidWorks Expertise
• Technical Leadership
• Electronic Assembly Enclosure Design
• BOM Creation and Management
• Product Design and Development
• Project Management
• FEA and Thermal Analysis
• Machine Shop Experience
• Change Management
• Conflict Resolution
• Team Building
Vista, CA, 2017 – 2018
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Joined groundbreaking, high-resolution lidar camera company in early start-up stages to lead mechanical engineering team and develop technology into a product. Evaluated thermal interface materials, thermoelectric coolers, and cooling technologies to manage complex heat load requirements in environmentally sealed electronic enclosure. Expanded staff, lead, directed, and developed direct reports, interns, and contractors to achieve individual and company goals. Developed vendor relationships. Managed operations department functions including machine shop, assembly, purchasing, and inventory management.
• Led mechanical engineering team in development of long range, high resolution, solid-state, flash LiDAR camera delivered to, evaluated, and praised by the leading automotive mega supplier.
• Designed mechanical support structures and cooling architecture to maintain alignment of critical optical components while managing over 100W of electronic heat load at harsh automotive environmental conditions.
• Implemented engineering functions including part numbering, revision control, BOM management, PDM and PLM systems, and ECO process.
(FORMERLY VERARI SYSTEMS)
San Diego, CA, 2004-2017
Principal Mechanical Engineer, 2010 – 2017
Owned all mechanical design and engineering efforts of technology leader in computer hardware. Created unique design solutions for blades and rackmount servers to meet complex challenges of diverse customer base. Determined feasibility and cost estimates for new product concepts and non-recurring engineering (NRE) fees for custom projects. Directed overseas and local suppliers and engineers in product development. Worked closely with production floor, developing and optimizing manufacturing PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
JUSTIN L. SEARCY Page 2
instructions and procedures. Introduced several strong differentiators in product development working with Product Management, Sales, and Executive Staff. Selected Contributions:
• Designed systems at the cutting-edge of Deep Learning technology, including the first to market to allow peering of up to 8 GPUs on a single root hub.
• Created digitally controlled AC-DC power pack providing 27kW of fully redundant power in a 5U space.
• Effectively cooled over 360kW of GPU power in a multi-rack solution by designing blade servers equipped with liquid cooling technology.
• Designed locking and ejection mechanisms to allow for tool-less installation and replacement of hot swap hard drives and a 300% reduction in customer service time. Manager, Fastrack, 2009 –2010
Launched new department to focus on quick turn engineering projects and bridge a gap between engineering and operations. Directed cross-functional team of engineers working on 20-30 simultaneous projects. Streamlined design process to optimize speed and quality of new product releases and feature updates. Oversaw creation and hand-off of manufacturing instructions to ensure quality and consistency of new product builds. Established project tracking process to create transparency and drive accountability across all departments.
• Created and met aggressive development plan, driving release of 15 new products in less than a year.
• Collaborated with a team to solve a major risk point of a large deal by challenging conventional thinking; we added fans to save power. Through simulations, testing, and redesign we accomplished a 40% decrease in power consumption while improving thermal performance.
• Designed modular power subassemblies so blades could be developed, ordered, and built independent of infrastructure, creating interchangeable parts across four different platforms and reducing total lead time by 25%.
Manager, Mechanical Engineering, 2007 – 2009
Directed team of mechanical engineers in R&D and sustaining engineering. Collaborated with sales, marketing, operations, and other engineering departments to optimize development of new products. Trained engineering staff in SolidWorks design, product data management (PDM) and product lifecycle management (PLM). Created and maintained schedules and budgets. Responsible for personnel decisions, hiring, training, and evaluating performance of mechanical engineering staff. Developed release-to-manufacturing, mechanical design, and documentation procedures. Selected Contributions:
• Directed development of common chassis design to reduce part waste and improve new product lead time, resulting in an estimated annual savings of $1 million.
• Expanded staff to keep up with needs of growing company, managing and training seven direct reports from senior level engineers to consultants and interns.
• Reduced new hire ramp time, increased employee productivity, and improved team morale by implementing new file-sharing and work schedule policies.
• Responsible for over $50 million in revenue in Web/Search, Enterprise, Financial Services, Education, Entertainment, and Oil & Gas markets.
• Led evolution in design of our flagship rack product to increase density by 25%. JUSTIN L. SEARCY Page 3
Mechanical Engineer, 2004 – 2007
Designed a wide range of computing products, consisting of electronics packaging, sheet metal, injection molded plastic parts, heat sinks, cables, and printed circuit boards. Created and maintained all documentation including bills of material (BOMs) and engineering change orders (ECOs). Helped to lead adoption of new PLM software and document control procedures. Performed thermal and finite element analyses to optimize mechanical design and cooling solution. Managed variable requirements to consistently deliver quality customized products working under aggressive time constraints. Selected Contributions:
• Key member of design team delivering the densest storage unit on the market, providing up to 3.4 petabytes in two datacenter floor tiles.
• Designed heat pipes and vapor chambers into high performance computing servers to optimize cooling capacity and beat industry benchmarks for performance per watt by 53%.
• Designed and released more than a dozen unique products into the marketplace. Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering
2004 • University of California, San Diego