Daniel Rice, CPA Lancaster, PA • 717-***-**** • email@example.com
Executive leader and finance professional experienced in international business, small business coaching, and “Big Four” public accounting.
• Executive leadership • Strategic planning • Financial analysis • Technical accounting • Business process improvement • Communication • Cloud and distributed information systems • Advanced Excel and Google Sheets (macros, pivot tables, lookups, queries)
TerraClear Production Co., Ltd., Pakse, Laos - Managing Director and Director of Finance Oct 2015 - Present
● Responsible for developing and implementing strategic plan, providing general management for the day-to-day operations, providing leadership to the local management team, and functioning as CFO
● Oversaw reduction of production quality failures by over 23% and increased total production output per staff member by more than 100% leading to an estimated savings of $40K annually.
● Led implementation of cloud-based accounting and information systems and custom mobile apps to support distributed workforce.
● Implemented a direct sales model which increased direct sales as percentage of total revenue from 15% to 85%. Resulted in generating first operating profit for the company.
● Increased company revenues twofold in spite of wholesale business declining 75%.
● Served over 250K people with affordable access to clean water and generated more than 40K carbon credits through product sales.
● Partnered with NGOs, such as Unicef, CARE, and World Vision to provide clean water to poor households and schools.
Eastern Mennonite Board of Missions & Charities, Salunga, PA - Business for Transformation Coach Feb 2010 - Sep 2015
● Responsible for leading the development and implementation of the “Business for Transformation” program, a new program area aimed at supporting small business and social enterprise development in developing countries.
● Developed and communicated program vision, strategy, implementation guidelines, and support resources.
● Provided coaching to SME startups in Albania, Tajikistan, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Thailand, and China and assisted in drafting business plans, selection of legal structures, raising capital, and establishing management teams and advisory boards.
● Designed and implemented a crowdfunding campaign to fund an incubation project in Guinea-Bissau. Successfully raised more than $30K in less than 30 days from more than 200 individuals through an online crowdfunding platform.
● Invited by the organization’s President to develop and chair the Innovation Team, responsible for cultivating a culture of creativity and innovation among staff. Team laid the groundwork for the organization’s decision to relocate to an urban location. Mulberry Street Diaper Co., Lancaster, PA - Co-Founder/Owner and Finance Manager Nov 2011 - May 2015
● Co-founded company with spouse to provide parents with eco-friendly diaper options.
● Developed eCommerce store and in-home showroom. Exceeded first year revenue goals.
● Opened brick & mortar store in 2nd year. Year two revenues grew six times over year one, and the company became cash flow positive within six months of opening the brick & mortar store.
● Hired, trained, and supervised two part-time sales associates.
● Successfully streamlined and outsourced accounting duties to an independent contractor.
● Developed and implemented customer rewards and referral programs.
● Successfully sold the company at a profit to new owners who continue to operate. Lao Water Resources (now TerraClear), Pakse, Laos - Deputy Director and Finance Manager Sep 2008-Dec 2009
● Co-led startup of a ceramic water filter manufacturer aimed increasing access to affordable clean drinking water for Laos. Joined with the Managing Director in all aspects of startup including business registration, fixed asset procurement, factory construction, hiring staff, managing and training local staff in accounting activities, preparing budgets, cash flow projections, and financial reports.
● Developed a custom double-entry accounting system to meet complex needs such as multi-currency transactions and multiple stakeholder reporting requirements.
● Developed accounting policies to comply with GAAP and other financial policies and procedures to maintain strong internal controls and proper segregation of duties.
● Trained two local staff in general accounting practices and computer use.
● Negotiated and secured factory construction contracts. LifeLine Screening of America, Cleveland, OH - Senior Accountant May - Aug 2008 (Short-term project role during transition to international assignment)
● Responsible for documenting business processes identifying key controls, significant risks, and proposing internal controls to mitigate risks.
● Completed project on-time with recommended action plan provided to the Controller and CFO for implementation.
KPMG LLP, Philadelphia, PA/Cleveland, OH - Audit Senior Associate Sep 2005 - Apr 2008
● Performed financial statement audits for more than ten clients in the financial services and manufacturing industries. Served a variety of clients reporting on both US GAAP and IFRS basis including companies such as Wells Fargo, Citigroup, Prudential, and BASF. Responsibilities included supervising and reviewing work of staff associates on audit engagements, training staff associates, managing budgets and project timelines for audit engagements, and performing audit procedures in conformity with auditing standards.
● Completed more than 15 audit engagements while consistently meeting budgets and deadlines.
● Received highest performance rating at each annual performance review.
● Recipient of 3 “Bravo Awards” in recognition of outstanding work on an audit engagement.
● Developed skills in planning, coordinating, and delegating responsibilities while working in teams of 4 to 12 individuals.
Trustee, Mennonite Board of East Africa (2015-present) CERTIFICATIONS & EDUCATION
Certified Public Account, Pennsylvania (License No. CA050840) Bachelor of Science (May 2005) 1st Major: Accounting and Finance, 2nd Major: Business Management Eastern University, St. Davids, PA
Graduated Summa Cum Laude, 3.94 GPA (Cumulative and Major) AWARDS & HONORS
PICPA Outstanding Senior Award - Highest award given to an accounting major for demonstrating academic excellence and desire to continue in accounting Delta Mu Delta - Business Administration honors for academic excellence Sophomore Scholarship - Awarded to the sophomore with highest GPA Dean’s Honor List (all semesters)
Advanced Lao and intermediate Spanish