Timothy Smith, MBA, SHRM-CP HR Generalist
firstname.lastname@example.org • https://www.linkedin.com/in/timothy-smith-7441b428 425-***-**** • Seattle, WA Seasoned, innovative human resources leader with extensive experience in performance management, employee communications, and process implementation. Analytical professional skilled in successfully supporting staff in all HR processes to create productive work environment and achieve key business objectives. Collaborative problem-solver with proficiency in prioritizing tasks to obtain efficient, accurate results. Areas of Expertise include:
Employee Recruitment & Retention Human Resource Management Swift Issue Resolution
Program Initiation &
Productive Strategy Implementation Accurate Record Maintenance
HR Process Improvement Staff Support & Leadership Relationship Building Professional Experience
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON (UW), SCHOOL OF MEDICINE • South Lake Union, WA • 2013 to Present HR GENERALIST (PROMOTION: 7/2016 to Present)
Foster positive work environment by providing compensation, appointment approval, and Workday software support to 7 departments consisting of more than 4,000 faculty and staff. Expert point of contact for visiting faculty appointments for all 20 departments in School of Medicine, ensuring accuracy in all related matters. Develop reports utilizing skills in MS Excel, Access, and Workday to determine compensation comparisons for faculty titles and appointments for UW School of Medicine leadership, chairs and administrators.
• Review and approve new and renewed appointments, promotions and compensation (Retentions, Administrative Supplements, Temporary Salary Increases, and Excess Compensation). The titles include Emeritus titles, Professors, Clinical Professors, Associate Professors, Clinical Associate Professors, Assistant Professors and Clinical Assistant Professors, Acting Assistant Professors-Temp, Acting Instructors, Acting Instructor/Senior Fellows, Senior Fellows, Senior Fellows-Trainee, and Visiting faculty, Scientists and Scholars.
• Process improvement: Simplified forms in Access used to track compensation process flow for data recording, reducing data entry time for each person for each process by 2-3 minutes with up to 200 data entries per month. This improvement ensured timely data entry for up-to-date process flow reporting.
• Six Sigma Process Improvement: Developing Microsoft Power BI dashboard to turn data from Access data into an online data visualization dashboard to track appointment, compensation processing and ad hoc report flows in real time.
• Process improvement: Distributed detailed checklists to departments to ensure correct appointment and compensation request submissions, significantly reducing error rate from 40% to less than 1%. HUMAN RESOURCES COORDINATOR (PROMOTION:10/2013 to 7/2016) Oversaw human resource services including recruiting, onboarding, leave and time management, and separations for Dean’s Office staff consisting of approximately 550 full time staff and 100 temporary employees. Utilized excellent organizational skills in accurately managing personnel and training records and processing annual merit increases for over 2,000 employees. Provided valuable guidance and advice to department staff on HR practices. Key Accomplishments:
• Recruited for Directors, Assistant Directors, Managers, Program Operations Specialists, Research Scientists, Program Coordinators, Temporary Professional Staff and Temporary Classified Staff/ Student employees for 20 departments in the School of Medicine Dean’s Office.
• Recruit 15 to 25 personnel monthly with a yearly increase during July and August up to 45 personnel to coincide with renewed budgets starting on the 7/1 fiscal year.
• Process improvements included: Mapping to optimized entire HR hiring process through a Visio swim chart, resulting in reduction of process time from 2 weeks to 4 days. Created offer letter templated in Microsoft Word with dropdowns to simplify and reduce errors in classified (union staff) and Professional (non-union). Condensed all onboarding documents into one PDF for more efficient updating and printing, saving time from having collect individual documents for new hire orientation packets when conducting 3 to 10, one hour new employee orientations weekly. Timothy Smith, MBA, SHRM-CP
Page Two of Two
• Assisted HR Manager with terminations and lay offs for the staff. The frequency was limited due to lay off in lieu of separation.
• Designed and implemented reorganization of paper and electronic personnel files making documents easily accessible and file retention schedules easily maintained, saving hours of staff time. UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON MEDICINE • Seattle, WA • 2012 to 2013 HUMAN RESOURCES CONSULTANT ASSISTANT (11/2012 TO 10/2013) Initially hired on temporary basis and promoted to HR Consultant Assistant after a month of service due to proven efficiency and optimization of HR processes. Provided essential support to HR Consultants at both UW and Harborview Medical Centers, as well as support for applicants and staff in utilizing UW Hires online program. Developed excellent communication and interpersonal skills as initial point of contact in directing staff to recruiters, human resource consultants, and leave specialists.
• Successfully managed UW Medicine service award program for 3,000 staff, organizing and aiding department service award coordinators.
• Created metrics to track participation in service award program and increased participation rate from 78% to 92%, enabling managers to better reward skilled, productive employees.
• Assisted staff with FMLA paperwork identifying the correct FMLA documents, an overview of the FMLA process and contact information to their assigned Leave Specialist for FMLA review and approval. BOEING COMPANY • Everett, WA • 2006 to 2011
QUALITY ASSURANCE INSPECTOR
Held positions as Electrical Assembler and Electrical Installer before being entrusted with greater responsibility as Quality Assurance Inspector. Efficiently assembled and installed various complex electrical components for Boeing 777. Carefully inspected assemblies and interior installations performed by 25-30 staff members, ensuring accuracy and precision for safe flights.
• Provided valuable coaching and feedback to team members to greatly improve quality and efficiency.
• Initiated process improvements which saved 1.5 hours of production time per airplane, resulting in cost savings and faster order completion.
Gained valuable leadership, analytical, and organizational skills as Production Line Team Lead at Redhook Brewery for 7 years, supervising staff, ensuring quality, and developing efficiencies to meet manufacturing goals. Education & Certification
Master of Business Administration in Human Resources Administration CITY UNIVERSITY Seattle, WA 2017
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY Portland, OR 2011
Point B Lean Six Sigma Green Belt
Society of Human Resources Management Certified Professional (SHRM-CP), 2016 Human Resource Administration Certificate, 2016
Supervisory Skills Certificate, 2016