STEVE C. BARNETT
Results focused Senior Security Manager with an outstanding history of managing teams of
information security practitioners responsible for monitoring and protecting the Department of Defense information assets in accordance with DoD security policies, standards, and best practices. Managed personnel to accomplish day-to-day operational, monitoring and advising activities. Led multiple, medium to large-sized information security related projects with moderate to severe complexity. Responsible for developing project plans, assigning tasks, and tracking progress. Developed and oversaw the execution of continuity plans for function and compliance. Initiated, facilitated, promoted and managed activities required to support the enterprise information and industrial security awareness programs. Identified and facilitated information security awareness activities to meet the needs of management and personnel and to enhance the programs information security posture. Participated and/or led work groups or projects teams supporting organizations’ strategic objectives and initiatives. Responsible for monitoring and evaluating staff performance, as well staff development. Dynamic, self-starter looking for a challenge!
Executive Leadership Security Expert Interpersonal Skills
Operational/Strategic Planning Human Resources Emergency Response
Resource Management Investigations Vulnerability/Security Assessment
Industrial Security Information Security Physical Security
2014-2018: Deputy Director, Reserve Forces Directorate and Title 10 Deputy, Headquarters, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
• Managed Directorate information security operations responsible for identity and access management to communication systems, facilities, and Special Access Programs.
• Identified and/or addressed infrastructure asset vulnerabilities within NORAD & USNORTHCOM Information and Industrial Security programs.
• Responsible for implementing and assuring compliance with the DoD 5220.22-M, National Industry Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM).
• Ensured the integrity of the programs security environment by appropriately monitoring, managing or planning responses all potential and actual incidents and vulnerabilities.
• Assured the appropriate use of information and information resources through policy and compliance testing and reporting
• Oversaw the effective information awareness and educational programs to educate employees about their information security and privacy protection responsibilities.
• Basic working knowledge of Special Security Agreements to include Controlling Unclassified Information CUI), International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Arms Regulations (EAR), and compliance with the U.S. Munitions List (USML) & Commerce Control List (CCL) .
2008-2014: Chief of Security Forces, March ARB, CA/U.S. Garrison Provost Marshall/ISAF MP Commander, Kandahar Air Field, Afghanistan
• Inspected, advised and made recommendations regarding appropriate personnel, physical and technical security controls for 12 Air Force Installations encompassing over $20B in assets and 8K personnel.
• Coordinated with contractors and NATO personnel in a combat environment to enhance information security posture throughout the program and system.
• Oversaw budget development and expense tracking to ensure consistency and accuracy across the information security enterprise.
• Provided work direction and guidance to staff to ensure individual, team, department, and program objectives were accomplished IAW DoD Directives.
• Incorporated information and industrial security standards into new construction programs at Kandahar Air Field, Afghanistan IAW AFI 16-1406, Air Force Industrial Security Program, DoD 5200.08-R, “Physical Security Program, and AFI 31-401, Information Security Program, and DoD Manual 5205.07-V1 SAP Manual (Vol. 1-4).
2002-2008: Headquarters Security Forces Operations Division Chief and Security Forces Squadron Commander/Operations Officer
• Oversaw and managed Security Operations Division at headquarter/corporate level involving logistics, information/physical/industrial security programs, budgets, installation vulnerabilities, and inspections for over 8K personnel.
• Conducted risk and compliance management activities that enables the organization to reach an acceptable level of risk and briefed results to senior management.
• Managed information security incident management protocol to ensure the prevention, detection, containment and correction of security breaches were identified, mitigated, and communicated to the DoD.
• Developed, implemented, and trained over 1000 headquarters/corporate personnel on information security education and awareness program.
• Tracked, monitored and reported annual information security training metrics to senior leadership.
• Planned, organized, monitored, and controlled projects ensuring effective utilization of technical and administrative resources available to headquarters/corporate personnel.
• Presented weekly overall security posture to the highest levels of leadership – recognized repeatedly with accolades and promotions.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
2014 M.S., Joint Campaign Planning and Strategy, Joint Advanced Warfighting School (JAWS), Norfolk, VA. http://jfsc.ndu.edu/Academics/JointAdvancedWarfightingSchool(JAWS)/COURSEDESCRIPTION.aspx.
2002 M.S., Public Administration, Georgia State College, Milledgeville, Georgia
1988 B.S., Public Administration, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama
2015 FEMA Strategic Planners Course
2014 Dual Status Commanders and Joint Domestic Operations (JDOC), and JTF Commander’s Course
2014 Non-Lethal Weapons Course – Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk Virginia
2013 Air War College (Correspondence) – Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2011 Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection Level III certified
2000 Air Force Ground Combat Skills Leadership Course - Ft Dix, New Jersey
1999 Air Force Security Forces Law Enforcement/Ground Combat Skills School - Lackland AFB, Texas
1995 Squadron Officer School - Maxwell AFB, Alabama
- DoD INFOSEC, COMSEC, OPSEC, and Cyber Awareness Certified
- DSCA I/II Certified
- Title 10 Deputy Certified
- Current Top Secret SCI Clearance
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products