DEBBIE K. TAN, SPHR
OPEN DOOR COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTERS – ARCATA, CA October 2014 – September 2017
Human Resources Generalist October 2014 – January 2017 Multi-site HR Generalist for a 550+ employee healthcare organization with 10+ clinics across the north coast.
• COMPENSATION: Created and revamped existing compensation process and salary model. Created and introduced new compensation strategy. Participated and updated compensation model using market data surveys. Conducted market research and proposed a benefits and compensation comparison to maintain competitiveness in the market.
• POLICIES DEVELOPMENT – Structured policies in the areas of benefits and compensation i.e recuperation in offer letters, sick leave, dress code, and employee referral.
• HRIS IMPLEMENTATION – Partnered with outside vendor to implement new cloud based modules for recruitment and performance management. Revamped performance review forms with a strong focus on competencies.
• PROCESS IMPROVEMENT: Business specific: Sat on committees that reviewed and made recommendations- MA and career ladder committees. HR specific processes: Reviewed and improved effectiveness of PIP and exit interview forms.
• EMPLOYEE RELATIONS: Partnered with legal counsel on investigations, complaints, and non-compliance to policies. Worked with managers on performance management, performance improvement plans, verbal/written warnings, and terminations.
Director, Teachings Program January 2017 – September 2017 Responsible for programmatic strategic planning, developing/enhancing, implementing, and sustaining Open Door Community Health Centers’ Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant Residency Program, student health professionals rotations, Provider Continuing Education, and related projects to support high-quality, cost-effective health services and other organization goals.
• Programmatic STRATEGIC PLANNING, developed and enhanced including implementation and review of new processes, policies, and procedures for Residencies, student rotations, and related programs.
• RECRUITMENT: Executed marketing and recruitment activities of each residency class. Managed the application, interviewing and selection process for each residency class. o 2017 recruitment - received 100% acceptance rate of top 4 candidates. “This year’s recruitment sets the bar”.
• Created and delivered presentations and reports for the NP residency Program. Collaborated with Provider Faculty to develop and monitor curriculum.
• CONTRACTS: Reviewed and oversaw training affiliation agreements with academic institutions and outside specialists. BNP PARIBAS - NEW YORK, NY
Vice President, Human Resources Generalist April 2013 – July 2014 Multi-site HR Generalist for a global French investment bank. Responsible for 400 employees made up of Audit, Risk, Legal and Securities Services department.
• RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT: Ensured all business lines are satisfied with HR support by providing high touch service.
• PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT: Provided guidance to managers during employee lifecycle from promotion to performance improvement plans, to verbal/written warnings and terminations. Provided counseling to employees during their lifecycle.
• COMPENSATION: Partnered with international HR colleagues to manage year end compensation process (communication and actual data). Made salary recommendations to various scenarios (hiring, international relocation, expats etc.). Participated in market data surveys.
• PROCESS IMPROVEMENT: Member and contributor to various task forces to improve internal processes (mobility, expat)
• PROJECT MANAGEMENT: Analyze, research, work with COEs to execute, and create communication to clients i.e FLSA review, year end compensation, internal mobility, etc.
• IMMIGRATION: Partner with managers and outside counsel on immigration related matters.
• EMPLOYEE RELATIONS: Partner with legal counsel on investigations, complaints, and non compliance to Bank policies. SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT - NEW YORK, NY February 2013 – April 2013 Consultant/Contract, Human Resources Manager
On site HR Manager for two office locations to support Corporate, Global Digital Business, and RED distribution for over 500 employees. Core areas of focus were performance management, compensation, immigration, recruitment, and employee relations. MORGAN STANLEY – NEW YORK, NY July 2011 – November 2012 Director (AVP), Human Resources Generalist
Global HR Generalist for Technology in the Brokerage and Institutional Securities space for over 1500 employees. Managed 600 employees independently.
• EMPLOYEE RELATIONS: Provided guidance to managers on handling various employment issues from inception to completion and proactively managed potential firm risk. Looped in global HR partners when appropriate.
• COMPENSATION: Partnered with sr. managers during year end on the timelines, processes, tools, analytical reports, and made recommendations during compensation decision making. Provided compensation recommendations for off cycle increases or relocation packages.
DEBBIE K. TAN, SPHR
Address: 870 Rutherford Circle, Brentwood, CA 94513 Cell: 718-***-**** Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT: Worked alongside managers on performance related issues (performance improvement plans, terminations, etc.). Managed the performance review cycle. Worked with managers on reviews to ensure effective feedback and that matters were reflected in the reviews.
• TRAINING: Created a course and trained managers on best practices for writing and giving performance reviews. Presented the Promotions Process at brown bag sessions.
• TALENT MANAGEMENT: Worked with sr. managers to identify and completed action plan for succession planning, and high potentials relating to diversity initiatives. Worked with managers on differentiating the tiers of performance within their staff. Managed the PROMOTION process for the HR tech dept. to ensure compliance with firm process deadlines and procedures.
• HR REPRESENTATION: Partnered with sr. managers by sitting at the management table during promotion discussion cycle. HR voice during the internal business VP process.
• IMMIGRATION: Liaised between managers and immigration specialists by communicating and strategically work through all immigration related matters.
• RELOCATION: Worked through all transfers and domestic/global relocation initiatives to ensure seamless transition, appropriate localization and relocation packages with managers, relocation and immigration teams. SUMITOMO TRUST & BANKING CO. (U.S.A,) - HOBOKEN, NJ January 2008 – July 2011 HR Generalist of a highly diverse and wholly subsidiary of a major international bank in Japan. AVP, Human Resources Generalist January 2011- July 2011
• STRATEGIC: Created & implemented policies and programs, such as early retirement program and green card policy. Projected bankwide compensation budget. Analyzed corporate title structure during Promotion process. Forecasted yearly incremental budget for HR dept.; Prepared RFPs; Participated in industry forums to stay abreast of policy trends. Senior Associate, Human Resources Generalist January 2008 – December 2010
• COMPENSATION: Acted as compensation specialist to senior management. Coordinated annual compensation process for salary review and bonuses. Executed complex analysis of Bank-wide salaries and bonuses. Made year end salary and bonus recommendations. Created various compensation models for pool funding and assisted management in year-end decision making. Developed recommendations for salary offers through external & internal equity. Oversaw market data surveys, benchmarked, and performed heavy analysis.
• EMPLOYEE RELATIONS/PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT: High volume and constant involvement in employee performance, yearly performance reviews, retention, rewards and recognition, and uphold employee morale.
• RECRUITMENT: Recruited all levels for lateral hires across Bank departments – Finance, IT, Front/middle/back office
• IMMIGRATION: Oversaw and coordinated immigration visa processing for all new and presented locals and expatriate employees. Filtered inquiries and provided continuous service for renewals and any related issues. Conducted internal bank wide audit of I-9 and immigration status to ensure compliance.
• TRAINING: Worked with senior management to identify training needs. Coordinated training programs.
• STAFFING & AD HOC: Conducted new hire orientation and ensure all new hire paperwork was accurately completed. Conducted exit interviews.
WATSON WYATT WORLDWIDE - NEW YORK, NY February 2007 – December 2007 Human Resources Generalist
Multi-site HR Generalist responsible for 250 consultants in NY, NJ, and CT. The role has three major operational components: Staffing (including Campus Recruiting), HR Administration, and Employee relations.
• PARTNER: Built effective relationships with senior leaders and junior associates. Provided consultation on issues including performance management, staffing initiatives, and training opportunities. Inspired managers to be fair, firm and consistent in communicating direction, setting expectations, and driving accountability, thus better management of employee morale.
• MANAGER: Oversaw and managed the work and career progression of a HR assistant.
• STAFFING/DIVERSITY: Evaluated new and existing job descriptions. Partnered with Global Relocation team to prepare COLA calculations for domestic and international transfers. Worked closely with immigration counsel on international transfers. Facilitated new hire orientation and onboarding. Increased diversity by participating in annual affirmative action plans through sourcing/providing diverse slates of talented applicants for interviews, and analyzing turnover rates.
• COMPLIANCE/PROCESS IMPROVEMENT: Mastered HR administration process (i.e., Sarbanes–Oxley Act approvals, transition to HRIS system, etc.) and proactively participated in internal process improvement and other Firm wide initiatives. CITIGROUP - NEW YORK, NY May 2005 -
Human Resources Representative
Supported Sr. HR Generalist and VP HR Generalist in managing 1300 Technology and Operations employees.
• COMPENSATION ANALYSIS & REPORTING: Made recommendations and generated compensation, bonus, and officer title reports for analysis. Participated in market survey -ensured accurate reflects market equity analysis. Composed relevant confidential reports routinely (total comp. year over year, performance ratings, headcount, salary analysis, turnovers, new hires, transfers, etc) population. Advised recruiters and immigration counsels of departmental salary ranges to ensure internal equity and immigration compliance.
• EMPLOYEE RELATIONS: Partnered with Sr. HR Generalist to effectively documenting minutes and participating in one-on- one meetings, and conducting due diligence such as investigations and successfully executing resolution.
• PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT: Provided guidance for the Performance Measurement & Management process & the DEBBIE K. TAN, SPHR
Address: 870 Rutherford Circle, Brentwood, CA 94513 Cell: 718-***-**** Email: email@example.com system tool, midyear and year end appraisals, performance development plans, succession planning, and advised ideas to retain high potentials. Conducted and documented exit interviews for later trend analysis and made recommendations for potential improvement of the respective department.
• INTERPERSONAL/COMMUNICATION: Effectively built and maintained relationships to facilitate learning, gained trust, and increased ability to contribute across Citigroup’s matrixed organization. Responsible for answering daily employee inquiries and requests, advising and educating policy changes and procedures, firm wide initiatives at sr. client staff meetings.
• DISABILITY: Liaise between employees, managers, Service Center on all Leave Management cases-STD, LTD, FMLA, etc. Provided guidance on leave policies and options.
GROUP HEALTH INCORPORATED (GHI) - NEW YORK, NY May 2004 – May 2005 Human Resources Assistant
Supported one Director and two senior recruiters in all aspects of recruitment from phone screens to finalizing agency contracts. Proactively took on the role as a frontline communicator between centers of excellence and 2500 employees. NON-PERMANENT PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION (NBA) - NEW YORK, NY September 2003 – May 2004 Employee Relations Project Consultant
Highlight: Saved the firm $30,000 by surfacing a salary discrepancy. SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT - NEW YORK, NY June 2003 – September 2003 Human Resource Intern - Successfully assisted a Director of Recruitment, which led to supporting 2 more Directors - Recruitment and Diversity. Received a request to temporarily act in place of supervisor’s absence after internship concluded. EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE:
HUNTER COLLEGE - New York, NY B.A.: Psychology December 2003 CERTIFICATION, SKILLS, LANGUAGES& ACTIVITIES:
• SPHR CERTIFIED
• Human Resources Studies Certificate: CORNELL UNIVERSITY July 2006
• Proficient in HRIS/PeopleSoft/Ascentis/Abila HRM, Taleo, SAP Business Objects, Lotus Notes Oracle, Windows, Org Plus, Global Compensation System, WebFocus, HRWeblink. Internet Research Savvy
• Volunteer member of New York Cares non-profit org. and various charity events