SAMIRAH ALBAKRI HOOKS
**** **** **** ***** *******, IL 60637
Writing legal briefs and documents for clients, including wills and power of attorney, Business advising and client relations, Ability to craft winning arguments for court, Ability to explain complicated facts in layman’s terms, Adaptable to change, Highly analytical with an eye for detail, Collaborative, Persuasiveness and sound judgment Legal Experience
Smith Weeden, LLC Attorneys at Law,
October 2015 – Present
• Detailed and focused contributor, sitting both 1st and 2nd chair at trials and hearings.
• Interpret areas of real estate law, domestic relations, probate, wills, and estate planning for clients.
• Negotiate landlord and tenant or other bankruptcy claims.
• Coordinate legal research and fact investigation for case litigation.
• Draft routine memos, motions, briefs and statutory legal documents for improved remittance processing.
• Active listener while conducting intake, medications and client consultations.
• Develop enhanced litigation strategies, while also refining the document review procedure. Tom Vaughn Chapter 13 Trustee,
Staff Attorney; Director of Personal
September 2005-September 2015
• Represented the standing Chapter 13 Trustee before the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
• Made recommendations in relation to confirmation of plan to the Court, based on evaluation of documents, testimony of creditor’s meeting, and status of payments.
• Skilled at managing over 4,000 open cases, prepare motions, orders, response and replies to pleadings.
• Initiated the Personal Financial Management Course as the coordinator and instructor.
• Participated as hearing officer for meeting of creditors; responsibilities for reviewing plans, scheduled, file petitions, tax return and pay advices.
Oklahoma Disability Law Center,
Oklahoma City, OK
Staff Attorney, Protection and Advocacy
June 2003-May 2005
• Researched and drafted memoranda on disability law, special education and social security law in for litigation.
• Engaged participant sitting as 1st and 2nd chair at mediation’s, administrative and due process hearings.
• Assisted with drafting and implementing Individualized Education Program.
• Worked to mobilize disabled votes and promote self-advocacy.
• Worked with teams to draft and file complaints and pleadings with the US Department of Justice.
• Conducted investigations regarding use of illegal restraint and abuse within residential and senior care facilities. McEvily & Collins and Associates,
Legal Intern, Study Abroad Program May 2004-July 2004
• Drafted complex international contracts and recommend memoranda regarding Thailand real estate and tax laws.
• Reviewed translated legal documents to ensure consistent legal integrity. Education
Oklahoma City University Law School, Oklahoma City, OK Juris Doctor
University of Illinois, Champaign Urbana, IL
Bachelor of Arts, Sociology Pre-Law
Bar Admission Illinois and Oklahoma
Member: Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Volunteer: Local church and community organizations