Peter W. Wells
*******@*****.*** • https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-w-wells
Mechanical engineer with 17 years of experience in detailed hardware design with NASA and 5 years of experience in human factors plant layout design. Lead design engineer for parachute attachment and severance on a successful space flight test vehicle. Ensured two large and complex facilities are designed and fabricated for maximum worker safety. Experience in hardware development and testing, detailed design using ProEngineer / CreoPro, GD&T, system integration, safe plant layout, project engineering, hardware inspection, technical leadership, and mentoring. EIT certificate 19898.
• Design Lead for the parachute attachment on NASA’s Orion Crew Exploration Vehicle. Created a clean-sheet design of mission- and life-critical hardware, which performed flawlessly on the Orion EFT-1 flight test. Provided detailed design of components, assembly, and installation for the attachment of five parachutes and the integration of five component pyrotechnic guillotine cutters.
• Design Lead for parachute compartment on NASA’s Parachute Test Vehicle. Led a team of five engineers to design the high-fidelity representation of the upper portion of Orion, which has been used for multiple parachute system drop tests from high altitude, as well as studies of assembly sequence and component integration.
• Designed high-fidelity wing panel impact test article, which was used to demonstrate the cause of the Columbia shuttle accident through ballistic impact testing.
• Designed, packaged, and integrated components for the development of an autonomous robotic camera (Mini-AERCam).
• Project Engineer for layout and outfitting of a mobile machine shop.
• Designed structurally decoupled crew compartment floor on the X-38 Crew Return Vehicle.
• Designed underwater equipment and structures for astronaut training.
Design Responsibilities and Tasks:
• Identify mass, load, and other parameters.
• Define internal and external interfaces.
• Conduct technical trades for the conceptual design.
• Provide conceptual and detailed designs using ProEngineer/CreoPro.
• Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) per ANSI Y14.5.
• Create detailed fabrication and assembly drawings.
• Perform initial stress analysis.
• Specify fasteners, materials, and coatings.
• Assign design tasks and mentor junior team members.
• Collaborate on detailed design of shared hardware.
• Collaborate to determine best assembly/disassembly sequence.
• Conduct technical reviews with stakeholders, customers, and suppliers.
Plant Layout Design Support
• Subject matter expert for human factors project requirements for two large and complex Oil & Gas projects. Wheatstone and FGP are industry leading benchmarks of layout design for safe operations and maintenance.
• Provided training and guidance to project personnel and vendors in the USA, Australia, Germany, and Malaysia.
• Reviewed CAD models and drawings for modules and vendor equipment for project and applicable regulatory compliance.
• Inspected vendor hardware and modules during fabrication.
• Conducted Risk Assessments and provided documentation for project approval of non-compliant designs
PHS CONCEPTS, INC. – Houston, Texas
Human Factors Specialist
CHEVRON/TCO representative on Future Growth Project (FGP), 2015 – 2018
BECHTEL CORP. representative on Wheatstone LNG Project, 2013 – 2015
LOCKHEED MARTIN CORP. – Houston, Texas
Staff Mechanical Engineer, 2006 – 2013
STEWART & STEVENSON – Sealy, Texas
Mechanical Design Engineer, 2006
JACOBS ENGINEERING – Houston, Texas
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, 2005-2006
LOCKHEED MARTIN CORP. – Houston, Texas
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, 1999-2005
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT ARLINGTON – Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering
NORTHWESTERN STATE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA -- Bachelor of Science, Industrial Management
U.S. ARMY – Infantry officer with 7 years of honorable service
ProEngineer / CreoPro, Windchill PDMLink, SmartPlant Review (SPR)