EDWARD J. COSTELLO
925-***-**** • email@example.com
TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT AND ENGINEERING LEADER with demonstrated successes ranging from scientific technology and digital media startups to large government agencies and Fortune 500 companies. As a leader, Mr. Costello possesses a clear grasp of personnel and corporate drivers and a solid foundation in applied technology. He is adept at constructing runtime platforms, establishing clean and robust API frameworks and breaking down complex technical stories into discrete, manageable tasks.
HANDS-ON LEADER AND MENTOR skilled in balancing corporate objectives and technical innovation.
• Reorganized software engineering team while implementing coding standards and best practices.
• Grew and cultivated teams of world-class engineering talent with minimal attrition.
• Introduced best practices and reduced bugs by 70% while meeting budget levels and schedule milestones.
• Led migration of core technology to platforms on four wireless broadcast systems.
• Specified and designed middleware, Platform/Application APIs and SDKs for partners and internal customers
INNOVATIVE THINKER blending superior technical expertise and effective management skills.
• Contributed to intellectual property portfolio with key patent grants and applications.
• Designed technology to embed branding and cached content into wireless digital broadcast stream.
• Quickly absorbs and applies new technology producing rapid prototypes and proofs-of-concept.
SYSTEM SOFTWARE ARCHITECT designing critical enterprise, desktop and embedded systems
• Achieved 80% code reuse leading software migration through two generations of hardware and three RTOSs.
• Designed and deployed distributed security applications over three generations of hardware.
• Champion of best practices emphasizing Agile, OOP, portability, dependability and robustness.
• AROMYX CORPORATION, PALO ALTO, CA – DIGITIZING SCENT AND TASTE
2009-PRESENT VP, Engineering
• Part-time biometrics new technology startup
• Defining terminology, data formats and visualizations to measure and digitize human olfaction
• Applying data science and analytics to aid scent development, reformulation and customization
TASCENT, INC., LOS GATOS, CA - FULL STACK BIOMETRICS IDENTIFICATION
2016-2018 Director of Software
• Firmware, Algorithms, Research and Analytics Development for Iris, Face, Fingerprint biometrics
• Delivered device SDKs, Applications, IP, Build System and Instrumentation
• Introduced Agile to corporate departments and international development team
HP/PALM, SUNNYVALE, CA – ROLES OF INCREASING RESPONSIBILITY
2014-2016 Head of Platform Development, Immersive Computing
• Product owner for SDK, Platform Features and Platform Services for HP Sprout Immersive Computer
• Responsible for 3rd-party developer SDK, APIs, Language bindings, Runtime platform, Core Features (Computer Vision, AR and 3D capture), Build System and Performance metrics
2011-2012 Director, WebOS Multimedia, Graphics and Gaming
• Led redesign of webOS Multimedia Framework and Media/Camera-related features
• Established technical process for transitioning webOS to OpenWebOS
2004-2006 Senior Engineering Manager
• Led device applications software, device driver and ODM hardware/software groups
• Project Manager for Handheld/PDA products (projected revenue >$550M over two years)
• Established processes for managing Developers and QE, Build/Release Engineering and 3rd-party vendors
LEICA GEOSYSTEMS, SAN RAMON, CA - 3D HD LASER SCANNER SOFTWARE
2012-2014 Sr. Engineering Manager/Project Manager
• Managed Software Development Team for Cyclone, CloudWorx and TruView product line
• Introduced Agile development process to Engineering and PM teams
ADOBE SYSTEMS, INC. SAN FRANCISCO, CA - FLASH PLAYER PLATFORM
2006-2011 Sr. Manager, Software Engineering
• Led Agile development team for 12 releases of Adobe’s Flash Player Runtime
• Responsible for cross-platform (Win/Mac/Linux/Solaris/Mobile) implementation and feature parity
• Established Platform/Application layer APIs between Player Runtime and application developers
IBIQUITY DIGITAL CORPORATION, REDWOOD CITY, CA
(FORMERLY COMMAND AUDIO CORPORATION)
1998-2004 Director, Advanced Applications/Embedded Systems
• Designed client/server APIs and XML schema for embedding and sharing advertisements in digital media
• Managed personnel development, budgets, product requirements and roadmap for world’s first audio-on-demand system.
• Architected resource-constrained embedded projects while meeting performance milestones and budget guidelines.
Awarded • #6,609,097: Broadcast program capture and playback enhancement signal structure, receiver, and method
• #6,608,994: Quality of service method and apparatus for received programs
• #6,754,894: Wireless software and configuration parameter modification for mobile electronic devices
• #7,478,384: System and method for software and configuration parameter modification for mobile electronic devices
Pending • Method to Improve Reception and Playback Performance by Multiple Transmissions of Audio Parameters
• Method to Collect and Analyze Reception and Playback Statistics in a Wireless Audio- on-demand System
• Consumer Rating and Behavioral Evaluation System
• Multiple program burst broadcast
BS, Computer Science
California State University
Emphasis in Numerical Analysis/Process Control
Continuing Professional Education
University of California - Berkeley, CA
Embedded Systems and Wireless Communications
Stanford Center for Professional Development
Design and Innovation Masters Series