VAN K. SULLIVAN, MBA, MESH, CESCO, REM, CESM
Lexington, NC 27292 email@example.com
SENIOR ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY MANAGER
Accomplished, innovative and professionally certified Environmental Health & Safety Manager. Offering extensive, advanced cross-functional expertise in OSHA, CAA, CWA, NEPA, CERCLA/SARA and RCRA compliance. Significant experience in complex government air quality regulation. Exceptional acumen in industrial, regulatory and consulting disciplines. Honored for academic, military & management excellence. MESH certified by NC Safety Council, NCDOL & NC State. Developed the first ISO 14001 EMS certified in NC. Retired U.S. Navy Commander. EXPERIENCE
Polytex Environmental Inks, Greensboro, NC (7/2017 – Present) Environmental, Health & Safety Manager
Recruited to manage EH&S compliance at two ink manufacturing facilities (water based & UV/EB). Direct facility- wide EH&S training to conform to OSHA and EPA requirements. Act as plant Emergency Coordinator as well as HAZWOPER spill response. Ensure prospective plant equipment installations conform to local permitting requirements.
• Develop GHS compliant Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and labels for company developed commercial products.
• Developed OSHA programs for LOTO, HAZCOM, blood borne pathogens, forklifts, cranes, emergency evacuation, fire safety and respiratory protection. HAECO Americas, Greensboro, NC (4/2016 – 7/2017) (Recruited by Polytex) Environmental Manager - Airframe Services
Managed a 4 Hangar wide-body aircraft Maintenance, Repair & Overhaul (MRO) facility that accommodated commercial, & military aircraft. Supervised duties of 5 Environmental Compliance Technicians. Directed compliance with Aerospace NESHAP requirements & training. Coordinated Large Quantity Generator hazardous waste classifications and shipments. Manager of compliance for new next-generation aircraft MRO hangar construction.
• Plant Emergency Coordinator for chemical spills, hazardous weather and other emergencies.
• Certified DOT/RCRA HAZWASTE and International Waste Manager.
• Member Central Safety & Auditing Committee
Johnson Controls Power Solutions, Inc., Kernersville, NC (12/2014 – 4/2016) Environmental Supervisor
Recruited to manage compliance metrics & ISO 14001 EMS system at this OEM auto battery facility. Directed NESHAP Subpart PPPPPP compliance. Supervised 2 RCRA LQG technicians, 2 physical/chemical WWT operators
& and 2 air technicians. Facility Emergency Coordinator. Health & Safety trainer for HAZCOM/GHS as well as HAZWASTE, DOT, HAZMAT and SWP3/SPCC. Managed $1.2M Maintenance, Repair & Replacement budget.
• Prepared OEM process rollout air quality permit applications and dispersion modeling demonstrations.
• Designed electronic NESHAP compliance reporting for 94 air pollution control devices.
• Designated plant “Environment Sustainability Principal Champion” for JCI Manufacturing System.
• Ensured RCRA/DOT waste characterization & recycling of >150,000 lbs/week HAZMAT/WASTE. Forsyth County Environmental Assistance & Protection, Winston-Salem, NC (11/1999 – 12/2014) (Retired) Senior Environmental Specialist
Developed CAA PSD, Title V and Synthetic Minor air quality permits for rock quarry, hospital, aerospace, battery, landfill power, GW remediation, specialty textile, chemical manufacturing and furniture facilities. Performed inspections and negotiated enforcement agreements. Designed and implemented agency’s 112(r) Risk Management Program (RMP). Executed and evaluated PSD/NSR & North Carolina Toxics dispersion modeling demonstrations.
• Developed transportation air quality program that won a 2006 National Association of Counties Award.
• Expanded agency budget over $200K in 2 years via collaborative NEPA CE & CMAQ transportation projects.
• Ranked #1 in Customer Satisfaction Surveys from regulated sources. PREVIOUS POSITIONS
Environmental Department Manager & Senior Scientist – Consulting in NC and SC Corporate Environmental Manager – Logistics in NC
Regional Environmental Manager – Automotive Battery, Carpet & Yarn Manufacturing in NC and SC Retired U.S. Navy Commander (SEL) – Surface Warfare Active & Reserve in VA and NC EDUCATION
• MBA – Graduate With Distinction – Operations Management, Wake Forest University GPA: 7.42/8.00
• BS - Biology/Minor-Geology, Guilford College, GPA: 3.28/4.00 ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND AWARDS
• Conceptualized and implemented first NC Environmental Management System certified under ISO 14001.
• Managed industrial air quality program that won two consecutive Forsyth County Special Air Quality Awards.
• Awarded two “Closing the Circle” Certificates of Achievement from the Federal Environmental Executive.
• Earned U.S. Postal Service’s Superior Achievement Award for Environmental Leadership.
• Nominated for the JCI Chairman's Award two years in a row for air quality performance excellence.
• Justified over $1 million in capital process improvements utilizing statistical hypothesis testing.
• Made significant operational improvements and defect reductions as Director of Juran teams.
• Impacted corporate business expansion conducting environmental audits of new company acquisitions.
• Developed and presented bid packages for major industrial/government Requests for Proposals (RFPs).
• Closed 4 SC DHEC Consent Orders in 7 months with no monetary fines or operational interruptions.
• Designed and published a client environmental advisory newsletter with over 600 subscribers.
• Awarded the Navy Achievement Medal for outstanding reserve unit readiness for deployment.
• Held “Top Secret” U.S. Government security clearance during entire military career. CERTIFICATIONS
• Certified Manager of Environmental Safety & Health (MESH) with NC Safety Council, NC State & NCDOL
• HAZWOPER Certified for Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response
• OSHA 511 & 30 Hour Awareness Certified for General Industry Standards
• Certified Environmental and Safety Compliance Officer (CESCO) #7912010086170110 with NREP
• Registered Environmental Manager (REM) #5719 with NREP
• Certified Environmental Systems Manager (ISO 14001) (CESM) #107 with NREP
• First AID/CPR/AED Certified through American Red Cross PUBLICATIONS
• Sullivan, Van K., New Breed Leasing Offers Insight into ISO 14001 Process, IESU Update, V4, #12 SKILLS
• Advanced Capability - Lakes Environmental AERMOD, Microsoft Office Excel, Word, & PowerPoint, SAP, SharePoint, EHSIS, ENHESA & Gael Enlighten