Thomas W. Powers
Nashua, NH **063
Highly analytical and technically sophisticated professional with extensive experience in constructing and implementing
processes, procedures, functional specification, and design documentation for Windows and Apple desktop infrastructure.
Exhibit detailed knowledge of various technical and finance terminology and functions underscored with sound understanding
of how both privately held and public companies operate. Created, organized and led technical teams responsible for developing
and utilizing tools and equipment crucial to complete projects.
Microsoft AD Server 2003 and 2008 Altiris Client Management Suite
Microsoft Office 97-2010 Windows XP, Windows 7, OSX 10 Blackberry Enterprise Server
Citrix Tandberg Management Server 12.5 Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat
September 2002 to February 2012
INTERACTIVE DATA CORPORATION, Bedford, MA
Desktop Support Manager
Provided strategic leadership to a group consisting of 10 technicians supporting 1500 users in 12 offices across the United
States. Contributed as a hands-on member of the team as appropriate.
• Assumed the role of desktop representative in all change management issues. Responsible for testing and remediation
for any changes to production environment.
• Independently managed $400K capital equipment budget for desktops, laptops, and printers.
• Implemented Altiris Client Management Suite to enable easier PC imaging, mass deployments, and patching. Resolved
application problems after OS patching, component changes and upgrades to Windows 7.
• Handled the purchasing and management of all software licenses for Microsoft, Adobe, and other desktop applications.
• Devised technical solutions to accommodate business continuity and disaster recovery plans. Facilitated and
maintained business continuity for all BC tests and events.
• Functioned as technical lead for Tandberg video conference issues and for all technical requirements relating to annual
corporate sales conference. Expanded existing Tandberg Video Conferencing from 8 units to 110 units globally.
• Successfully implemented a web-based support ticketing tool to combine five separate email tools into one point of
• Implemented PGP Whole Disk encryption via Universal Server to safeguard laptop information.
March 2000 to September 2002
INDEVUS PHARMACEUTICALS, Lexington, MA
Served as sole IT person for the company, providing support to desktops, servers, phone system, corporate web site, and
network for 25 persons within a biotech environment.
• Administered Windows File and Exchange servers.
• Application support for Equity Edge and Solomon accounting software infrastructure. Oversaw the installation of an
Oracle backend for required Solomon upgrade.
• Solely handled full system tape backups.
• Managed the implementation of BlackBerry for senior management
• In response to 9/11 travel restrictions, negotiated contract with WebEx that enabled new drug trial kick off meeting to
start on schedule. Trained all in-house and remote meeting attendees via telephone on WebEx process. Saved over
$200K from previously budgeted costs.
• Administered the upgrade of Internet Circuit to T-1 from 256k DSL as well as virus protection to include spam filter
and firewall based attachment scanner
May 1999 to March 2000
TIGERMARK, INC., Framingham, MA
Served as sole IT person for a 150-person manufacturing organization.
• Upgraded POP3 mail server to MS Exchange.
• Replaced existing unreliable in-house design tools with AutoCAD Architectural Desktop software package.
• Created custom work order program using MAS 90 accounting package and Crystal Reports that enabled traffic
manager to route work orders to various departments.
• Co-Chaired the Digital Design Committee that was responsible for identifying technical improvements to design,
engineering, and manufacturing practices
November 1998 to May 1999
RADNET INC., Wakefield, MA
Senior Systems Engineer
Provided systems administration, email, desktop and phone support as part of a 2 person team for a technology startup.
March 1995 to November 1998
MEDIA RESOURCES INTERNATIONAL, New York, NY
Provided systems administration and desktop support.
• Instrumental for the expansion of 25 users to 125 within a three-year period acted as project manager for multiple
moves and office renovations.
• Recommended and installed external e-mail capabilities
December 1994 to March 1995
BANK OF NEW YORK, New York, NY
Senior Portfolio Accountant
April 1992 to October 1994
SCSC ASSOCIATES, Norwell, MA
April 1990 to October 1992
STATE STREET BANK, North Quincy, MA
Senior Portfolio Accountant
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
Bachelor of Arts in Economics
SANS 505 Securing Microsoft Windows
SANS Encryption Summit
ITIL ver. 3.0 Foundations
Help Desk Institute (HDI)
Thomas W. Powers
32 Ramsgate Ridge
Nashua, NH 03063