LLOYD A. SMITH
Sanford, NC *****
919-***-**** http://www.linkedin.com/in/lloydasmith email@example.com
EHS Manager with proven experience leading site programs in Safety and Environmental compliance, implementation, and technical applications. Key strengths in management, organizational skills, project leadership, and interfacing with federal, state, and local authorities. Strong understanding of plant processes, applications, and dynamics. A demonstrated track record of generating cost savings.
• Safety and Hazard/Risk Analysis, World Class Manufacturing applications • Stormwater, SPCC, ADSLM, WW plant operation
• PSM Review • Water and Air Permitting
• EPA reporting (SARA Title 3, TOSCA, RCRA, CAA, CWA, CERCLA) • ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, VPP, and Sustainability Initiatives
• Training/HAZCOM/DOT/LOTO/CSE, etc. • MSDS Proficiency and Inventory
Magneti Marelli, Sanford, NC 2011 - present
Environmental, Health and Safety Manager
Facility EHS Manager for all occupational safety, health, and environmental programs for 400 employee automotive supplier for Chyrsler. Harley Davidson, and Volkswagen.
• Developed Safety programs to include reduction of injuries through root cause analysis and risk assessment of machinery.
• Organized Safety Team to address day to day issues at production level; encouraged use of shift safety reviews to ensure prompt attention to critical safety issues.
• Aligned both safety and environmental programs to coordinate with WCM (World Class Manufacturing) goals leading to Bronze Level
• Responsible for all Worker Compensation claims and processing.
• Provide monthly progress tracking injuries, lost time; energy and water usage.
• Instituted site recycling program to reduce waste losses and decrease landfilled waste
• Championed safety awareness for workers through incentive programs (PRISM) and Safety Awards Program.
• Received award from NCDOL for number of work days without a lost time injury (2011)
• Established safety culture to reduce Worker Compensation claims 50% with projected annual savings of $250,000
PFIZER, Sanford, NC 2002 – 2010
Environmental Health and Safety Specialist II
Site manager for air and water, and safety compliance programs for 1200 employee pharmaceutical operation with $140M annual operating budget. Led all aspects of environmental operations for site compliance with Federal EPA programs.
• Initiated Green Wheels commuter program that reduced criteria air pollutants by 35%.
• Streamlined air permitting program that eliminates CO monitoring and reduced monitoring compliance.
• Increased raw material recycling resulting in reduced waste disposal costs site wide by 20%.
• Instituted water reuse projects to prevent “once through” usage with total savings of over $45K annually.
• Developed and published SOPs for OSHA, EPA, and DOT compliance and developed self-training modules for personnel, reducing outside training costs.
• Attained Carolina Star (VPP) state program for OSHA which reduced state DOL inspections; initiated and formed team to pursue ESI (Environmental Stewardship Initiative) to mirror ISO 14000 attainment to comply with global customer satisfaction surveys.
• Developed database reporting for annual Air permitting, Tier II, and TRI applications which streamlined reporting processes for more accurate submission.
STOCKHAUSEN, INC., Greensboro, NC 2000 – 2002
Environmental Safety Officer, Regulatory Affairs
• Director for all hazardous / nonhazardous waste programs on 64 acre site including recycling and universal waste applications. Maintained waste tracking programs to minimize disposal requirements.
• Coordinated, characterized, and profiled hazardous / nonhazardous waste production, shipment, and disposal to maintain plant generator status and to comply with EPA (RCRA, OSHA, NFPA, NIOSH) regulations while improving out of compliance areas to eliminate NOVs affecting site environmental performance.
• Maintained working knowledge of chemical product changes to modify and update MSDS information via database which streamlined regulatory reporting response and customer satisfaction for annual increase in fiscal profits.
• Generated management documents related to regulatory compliance for required plant training programs and directed training programs for OSHA and EPA requirements (SPCC, ISO 140001, ICP, Tier reporting) which reduced on site accidents by 30%.
• Assisted Director of Regulatory Affairs in applications of air permitting and water monitoring for state applications for storm water and POTW applications which reduced on site chemical spills by 25%.
LLOYD A. SMITH PAGE TWO
METOKOTE CORPORATION, Sanford, NC 1998 – 2000
Specialty Supplier to Caterpillar Corporation
Environmental, Health, and Safety Director / Quality Assurance Manager
• Quality Assurance Manager for original plant startup for electrocoating / painting operation. Implemented action plans and directives for plant production and QS 9000 compliance, including all aspects of safety and environmental compliance programs. Process Manager for chemical pretreatment and electrocoat line; directed and operated chemical process laboratory with staff of 4 technicians to support line chemistry in production processing.
• Managed and operated batch waste water system and permitting for state and city disposal compliance to support production batching.
• Designed protocols for quarterly VOC reporting, hazardous waste collection, manifesting and disposal with annual state reporting and inspections to maintain operating status of business unit while maintaining 100% compliance with Caterpillar production schedule.
• Developed training modules and schedules for new and current employees in house to reduce training costs for OSHA and EPA compliance by 40%.
• Interfaced with Caterpillar personnel to affect smooth manufacturing flow of raw materials with finished production specifications and documentation while meeting or exceeding quality and production requirements.
• BS, Animal Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
• BA, English, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
• AS, Microbiology, Louisburg College, Louisburg, NC
• Re-certification for RCRA, DOT, HAZWOPER, HAZMAT, 2009 – 2012
• Completion, 40 hours training towards Manager of Environmental, Safety, and Health (MESH) Certification, 2008
• Certified Hazardous Materials Manager, Masters Level, 2007 – Present
• Powered Lift Truck Instruction Certification, 1999
• Member, CAPCA (Carolinas Air Pollution Control Association), 2004 – Present
• Member, MCIC (Manufacturers Chemical Industrial Council), 2003 – 2005
• Member, Carolina Recycling Association, 2000 – Present