Joseph A. Sicilia
Spokane, WA *9208
• Expertise in overseeing and developing compliance programs, metrics, and reporting tools, ensuring contractual arrangements are in compliance with laws and government contracting policies such as FAR, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Export/Import, Sarbanes Oxley, Procurement Integrity, Trade Secrets and Economic Espionage Act, ISO requirements, Corporate Governance, ERM/ COSO requirements, etc.
• Proven leadership in management of company-wide, cross-functional teams in fast-paced high pressure environments; senior advisor to management and employees in developing policies and process solutions; coaching in compliance issues, strong communication skills with the ability to be candid, practical, and concise; analytical skills; attention to detail, ability to see the strategic picture and drive for results.
• Lead in the development and implementation of complex government compliance programs and compliance processes such as ERM/ COSO and Codes of Conduct; proven self-starter in managing and coordinating multiple projects simultaneously; act as advisor to Ethics/Audit/ Security/ Law personnel in supporting investigations and employee/management concerns; subject matter expertise in mitigating business risks through compliance processes and policies and procedures
Law Offices of Joseph A. Sicilia, Spokane, WA
Contract Attorney, January 2008 - Present
Represent clients in Federal, State, and City criminal proceedings including: bail hearings, motions, criminal trials (jury and non-jury), and probation revocation hearings. Provide strategy for criminal cases and research and write memoranda. Represent clients in State Family Law proceedings including: contested divorces, child custody matters, property disposition, and child support and maintenance. Develop estate planning documents including: wills, powers of attorney, and healthcare directives. Hired out as a contract attorney providing advice and guidance on corporate compliance programs and internal policies and procedures.
The Boeing Company, Chicago, IL
Compliance Specialist/ Contracts Administrator, December 2001-November 2007
Created and implemented the company-wide compliance oversight process to survey compliance process controls analyzing the outputs of all ethics and compliance risk assessments to determine the best way to address and mitigate the risks across the company. Lead company-wide, cross-functional teams (i.e. HR/ Law/ Security etc.) to create and implement compliance oversight processes following COSO/ ERM internal control format in order to comply with both internal policies and external laws: (i.e. Federal Sentencing Guidelines, Sarbanes-Oxley, Defense Industry Initiative, USA PATRIOT, Economic Espionage, Anti-Boycott, FAR, etc.). Developed company-wide compliance training processes. Developed and reported metrics for determining status and success of compliance process implementation to Board of Directors, Law, Audit, Contracts, Communication, Government Relations and other departments. Developed policies and procedures for company-wide implementation. Served as an advisor to corporate and group executive management on all aspects of compliance issues and training. Advised Ethics/Audit/ Security/ Law personnel in support of investigations and employee/management concerns.
As Contracts Administrator: Prepared and supported preparation of contract bid proposals, binding agreements, and completed cost resource estimates/ pricing for negotiations on multi-million dollar F/A-18 Fighter program. Assessed and determined profit and earnings objectives for each contract bid or modification. Negotiated, committed, executed, and administered contracts and agreements including communicating and interpreting performance requirements, delivery obligations and schedules, and related terms and conditions.
City of Spokane Prosecutor’s Office, Spokane, WA
Assistant City Prosecutor/ Rule-9 Attorney, March 1998- June 2001
Represented the City in contested criminal proceedings including: jury trials, arraignments, pre-trial hearings, bail and sentencing hearings, and motions often on little or short notice. Prepared and interviewed witnesses for jury trials or other proceedings. Negotiated with defendants and defense attorneys by utilizing creative alternative dispute resolution techniques. Drafted motions, summons’ and complaints. Investigated cases and witness statements. Responsible for reviewing police reports for sufficient probable cause to charge and proceed with the case.
John Cooney & Associates, Spokane, WA
Rule-9 Attorney, December 1999-May 2000
Represented the defendants in all manner of criminal proceedings from arraignment to jury trial. Prepared and interviewed witnesses for jury trials or other proceedings. Negotiated criminal case settlements with City and State prosecutors. Researched and wrote legal memoranda. Investigated cases, police, and witness statements.
J.D., Gonzaga Law School, Spokane, WA
Deans Honors for Public Service
Faculty/ Administration Liaison for Multi-Cultural Law Caucus
B.A., Criminal Justice, Minor in Psychology, Eastern Washington University, Cheney, WA
Deans Honors for Graduating in the top 10%
• Member of the Bar, State of Washington, #31205
• Contributing Reference –Association of Corporate Council, “Corporate Compliance Programs” –2004
• Panel Member - Government Contract/ Defense Industry Compliance Programs CLE, Washington DC - 2006
• Cali Award (formerly Am.Jur), Criminal Procedure - 1999
• Software Proficiency: Word, Word Perfect, Excel, Access, and various office suite and internet applications including Netscape, Internet Explorer